Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Teen faked BMW theft to buy Bentley

Author Topic: Teen faked BMW theft to buy Bentley
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-21-2005 08:47 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm speechless over this one ... give him a Yugo ...

link

CNN web site
SEATTLE, Washington (Reuters) -- A 17 year-old high school student faked the theft of his 2002 BMW M3 in order to collect insurance money to upgrade to a Bentley, police said on Thursday.

The teen, a student of Skyline High School in Sammamish, a suburb of Seattle, had reported the car stolen earlier this week, said Michael Chiu, a spokesman for the police in Bellevue, another suburb located between Seattle and Sammamish.

Police in another town found the $47,000 BMW being stripped and arrested four suspects, who connected the teen to the theft, leading to his arrest.

"That investigation led us to believe that he wanted to upgrade to a Bentley," Chiu said.

Bentleys, featured frequently in U.S. hip-hop videos, have a suggested retail price of $160,000 for the Continental GT coupe and $240,000 for the Arnage sedan.

The BMW was in the name of the teen's mother name but was used as his vehicle, Chiu said. The student was released to his mother, and prosecutors are considering charges.

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2005 09:40 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah I know some people out in Arizona that would do that for you, strip it, sell all teh parts...you report it stolen and no one is the wiser.

...or so i've heard

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2005 09:56 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and I thought my friend who has a 1997 Imported M3 (the faster European one, about as fast as the '02 M3 mentioned above) was lucky.

so say he got 47k from insurance, and another 20k for parts hacked....where does the Bentley come in, was his mom dumb enough to play with him on this? [Roll Eyes]

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2005 10:46 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I saw that on my local news. Yesterday the cops busted a car "chop shop" in the same vicinity behind an abandoned house.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 10:43 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Walsh
Bentleys, featured frequently in U.S. hip-hop videos, have a suggested retail price of $160,000 for the Continental GT coupe and $240,000 for the Arnage sedan.
Isn't it ironic that many of the hip hop artist who grew up in abject poverty find it absolutely necessesary to flash their new found wealth in their videos. Realizing, of course, that this is nothing new, but it is always comical to the subtle observer. Most of these artists are young twenty-somethings who aren't very wise to the real world of business economics. It will be interesting to watch in our lifetimes as to who files chapter 11 and who was smart enough to avoid it.

As for this kid . . . his license should be revoked for insurance fraud.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 07:57 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
of course, in music videos, it'd be pretty rare for the vehicle on screen to actually be owned by the artist in the video, they'd usually just be rented (like for any film shoot). But, what you say, Aaron, is certainly true... for example, shows like MTV Cribs and the like...

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-23-2005 04:17 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that amazed me about about all this is that the 17 y/o kid had access/owned a $47k car! Holy Smokes! I must be in the wrong biz with my 5 y/o $27K vehicle! ...AND I'm supposedly an old "rich" fart... I can't afford that, nor do I want a BMW!

I guess I need to get a $$RICH$$ BF to support me so I can enjoy the "finer" things in life... HA!

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2005 05:58 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mu$t be nice to be a little b**ch a$$ $poiled rich kid.
...I like the look of newer BMW's but I'd take a Honda or a new Volvo over the BMW or Bentley.
But that's just my sadistic taste.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: