Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I'm off to Colorado

Author Topic: I'm off to Colorado
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-20-2005 11:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its time for a short break and I'm off to Colorado. Winter Park to be exact. Taking Amtrak(Contrak in P.T.&A.) possibly for the last time as its forseeable life seems to be questionable. The fare is cheap... 50 bucks each way and it dumps me right in town. I don't have to go the the dam airport at either end or then have to drive there from Denver...... relaxation time [thumbsup] at least for about 12 hours..... any Film-Techers in Winter Park?..... I can answer that one. No!

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-25-2005 08:14 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, how was Colorado-bet you got into some good wet weather over there. (unless you're still there)

Had my interview with Halletts-see what happens.

-thx Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-26-2005 08:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it works out for you Monte. Our guys are up there installing all the seats right now...

The trip to Colorado was great as was the ride on Amtrak! The ride between SLC and Denver will defeinately put any European train trip to shame. I got up in the locomotive in Grand Junction.... all digital displays as on an airliner. The food was great and most amazingly the train was on time everywhere. Am going again in the very near future.

No rain till Vernal on Sunday.

Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-01-2005 12:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Here are photos of the Choo-Choo. Amtrak has pretty much standardized on the GE Genesis engines now. They are more powerful and fuel efficient than any other locomotoves of this type. These shots wetre taken in Grand Junction, CO. and the original station is on the right.

The food was great in the diner car and the train was.... oddly.... on time!

-

Inside the cab. The controls resemble the controls on a large sea going ship more than a locomotve. All readouts are via multiple LCD screens which are also duplicated on the engineers side of the cab. Note that the windows on both sides feature roll down sun screens at the touch of a button.

-

The makers plate... er sticker in this day and age. There was an "A" and a "B" unit so there was alot of available HP(8500) that could be put to use. The speed of this train never exceeds much over 55 mph though because of the twisty turney tracks most of the way...also much of the ride is at a 20 mph or less due to multiple S turns within the same train while going through some of the extremely steep canyons. There are over 15 tunnels between Salt Lake City and Winter PArk, CO., then the train heads through the 6 mile long Moffatt Tunnel which traverses the continetal divide and then down to Denver while passing through another 20 plus tunnels. The Moffatt tunnel is the highest point on Amtraks route climbing to about 10,000 feet in elevation.

-

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-01-2005 01:52 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great pix, Mark!
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I got up in the locomotive
How, especially in these days since 9/11, did you manage that?!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-01-2005 02:59 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he got up there by speaking Spanish.

(obscure dig at our "homeland security" in how it pertains to our Southern border)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-01-2005 07:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Maybe he got up there by speaking Spanish.

Hardly, I spoke "Locomotive". Thats all it took to get up there!

On another note there were no Spanish speaking people to be found either working or riding on the train. That in itself is worth taking the train for [thumbsup] ! There's more the stereotypical black porters and waiters just like in the movies and they all spoke english and were very courteous. The conductors were also a big hoot,liked to gab alot and tell old railroading stories. All in all this puts even the first class airlines to shame.... I almost can't fathom how much better this mode of travel used to be back in the 30's, 40's, and 50's. What is left today is but a wisp of what it once was.

Mark

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2005 05:40 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took that train from Martinez, CA to Grand Junction, CO in February. The canyon just before Grand Junction is quite nice and so is the canyon just beyond Glenwood Springs. It's a spectacular train trip. I ate in the dinning car every meal. I was surprised that the cost is quite reasonable.

I'm going out to Colorado at the end of this month but I am driving this time.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2005 06:30 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just love trains!

I ride the Amtrak Capitol Corridor from Oakland to San Jose at least once a week. Have yet to go on a real long distance cross country train trip though...

Foaming at the mouth... [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: