Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Retired projectionist the "End of an era." -> OT to Non-theatrical exhibition (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Retired projectionist the "End of an era." -> OT to Non-theatrical exhibition
Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 12:50 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fremont man enjoys collecting, showing films

Fremont man enjoys collecting, showing films

By Carolyn Gibbs/Tribune Correspondent

Darkened movie theaters and the smell of buttered popcorn have been a part of Larry Koski's life for 40 years.

Koski, who is from Fremont, has had an ongoing love for movies since high school in New Castle, Pa.

"When I was in high school, I worked at the town theater. When I joined the Air Force, I ran the air base theater in Lincoln for four years," Koski said.

He stayed in Nebraska after the military and ended up in Fremont.

His career started when he worked for the union at the Empress Theater in Fremont, as well as the drive-in theater in Fremont. He transferred to Omaha and throughout the years worked at all the drive-in theaters there.

"I just returned from the 20 Grand in Omaha three or four years ago," Koski said.

As a professional projectionist, Koski's name is synonymous with summer time fun in Fremont. He's probably best known for his movies at Christensen Field in June and July.

"We show films on the side of the arena where we have a 16-foot-wide, pull-down screen," Koski said.

Koski said 20 Fremont merchants sponsor the series of films. Each sponsor pays $35 for seven movies and Koski puts a 10-second ad on the screen for the merchant. Sponsors offset the film rental, which Koski said is a little expensive.

The movie rentals come from Modern Sound Pictures in Omaha.

"I used to run my own movies, but I've shown them so many times," Koski said.

This entertainment takes place under the auspices of the Fremont Park and Recreation Department.

"I do it for free," he added. "I don't get paid. It's just fun doing it."

A church group comes out to Christensen Field and sets up a snack bar for the event. Movie night is Monday, but if it rains, movies are shown on Tuesday night.

Koski shows old and new films, but the newest this year is "Toy Story." Some of the older ones this summer will be "Spencer's Mountain," "Sounder" and "Any Which Way But Loose."

He sets up his summer schedule well in advance to get the films he wants for the season, and the Omaha firm ships them to him. He said the films come in three and four reels, but Koski rewinds them onto one large reel so he doesn't have to stop and change reels. This allows him to run films for three hours continuously.

One movie is shown per event and Koski broadcasts the sound over FM Radio, 89.1.

"It's just like a drive-in movie and they can bring their own lawn chairs," he said.

He also has previews of all the upcoming movies and said the first two shows will be cartoons and comedies to get the people coming.

The rest of the season the movies are all family friendly. Fremont isn't the only recipient of Koski's love of film. He has traveled as far as Center, Nebraska, and into Iowa for celebrations and centennials.

"I do movies for churches, PTAs and schools. If anyone is interested in a free movie for entertainment, I'm available," he said.

Koski also treats the Fremont Senior Adult Center to movies once a month, and he does an end-of-the year movie for the students at Washington Elementary School in Fremont. The town of Uehling also has a summer series in June, July, and August, which includes a picnic and drawings for prizes.

One local event, which combines two activities, has proven especially popular. Dive-in movies combine swimming and a film. Koski does these in Omaha and in Fremont at Ronin Pool.

"Dive-in movies in Omaha are called ‘Flick and Floats.' It's the only time people are allowed to bring their inner tubes and rafts to the pools," Koski said.

When he shows pool movies, he amplifies the sound to offset the noise.

Koski shows silent movies at John C. Fremont Days under the big tent at the park. For these 10 minute movies, he tapes them ahead and gives them to Nick Semrad in advance, who puts the piano music to the movie.

"He is fantastic," Koski said.

Neighbors, too, have their own private theater thanks to Koski. Speakers line the roof on Koski's garage above the projector mounted inside the garage. He has a pull-down screen at the end of his yard and with popcorn, he offers an outdoor theater for anyone in the neighborhood.

Running movies is only one aspect of Koski's love of film. He has a personal film collection of 350 reel-to-reel films. Through trade magazines and the Internet, he has bought, sold, and traded films.

"One of the magazines, ‘The Big Reel,' sells all kinds of movie memorabilia, like posters, films, and projectors," he said.

Some places have trade shows, but not in this area according to Koski.

"The oldest film that I have I bought in 1965. It's ‘The Little Rascals,' and dates to the 1930s. I still have it and I still love it."

He also has a few silent films, some of which have musical tracks added.

"Black Hawk Films out of Davenport, Iowa, used to take all the old silent movies and add sound tracks and sound effects," Koski said. "One of my Laurel and Hardy silent films has a sound track of music."

Most of Koski's personal collection are black and white.

According to Koski, color back in the 1940s and '50s when Hollywood started a different process to save money, has led to many films fading and losing color.

"I have a copy of ‘The Sound of Music' that's totally red because the colors have faded."

He said Technicolor is best because it will never fade. One a film has faded, nothing can be done to restore it.

Koski doesn't have any recent movies. Everything he has is at least 40 years old. His basement is not only a movie buffs' delight, it includes and other private theater complete with movie theater seats and, of course, a bag of popcorn to make it complete.

He loves to entertain his grandchildren that way. His own personal favorite movie in his collection is "No Time For Sergeants."

Whether running movies for others entertainment, or collecting them personally Koski believes he is one of the few professional projectionists left.

"Everything has gone to DVD ( digital). Projecting films is kind of a lost art," he said. "The day will come when film will be gone, and there will be no more. I'm the end of an era."

[ 04-19-2005, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 12:57 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christian Volpi
"I used to run my own movies, but I've shown them so many times," Koski said.

Ummmm... Was he paying for exhibition rights for the prints he has in his personal possession?

quote:
oski shows old and new films, but the newest this year is "Toy Story."
How did he get a print out of Disney? From what bookers have told me, getting a BV film for a rental is hard, but getting a Disney animated film for a rental requires an act of God.

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 01:15 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Ziegler
Ummmm... Was he paying for exhibition rights for the prints he has in his personal possession?

I'm assuming that since he doesn't charge admission and works for free that he doesn't have to. But what do I know? Every Saturday we run older films for free and we only have to pay the charge for the film rental which is about the same fee every time, $150 (approx.).

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 01:29 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My suspicion is that he is running 16mm, and all of these titles are available for licensed non-theatrical exhibition via companies such as Swank.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 01:52 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct, he does collect 16mm.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-18-2005 02:13 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It also says that he collects older films. Some of these are probably PD and can be shown legally without needing to rent them.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-18-2005 02:50 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was two companies that sold 16mm prints for home use / non-theatrical screenings. Blackhawk Films and Thunderbird Films had catalogs of 16mm prints that they sold in the pre-video days. There were full features and many different shorts from many of the studios. Many of the Laurel and Hardy films and Our Gang were available through them.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 05:37 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian, yout $150 film rent is what you pay for the rights to show the picture.

Owning a 16mm or 35mm print gives you no more rights than owning the DVD. If you don't have the exhibition rights, then you can't show it to a group. Disney has gone after numerous day care centers for showing Disney films to thier kids without the proper licensing. I'm sure this guy had everything worked out with the distributors, but, the article almost makes it seems like he was showing his personal collection to avoid royalties to the studios.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-18-2005 05:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, I don't think anyone is disagreeing with your very valid statement regarding licensing, but again remember, this IS the media reporting "facts" here and they almost always botch things up. I highly doubt this fellow could've gotten away for so many years doing public shows without getting the rights cleared on the applicable titles.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 06:21 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christian Volpi
The movie rentals come from Modern Sound Pictures in Omaha.
I believe with 16mm the rental includes exhibition rights; terms of which are usually spelled out in the rental contract.

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 08:08 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Inappropriate post removed by moderator]

[ 04-19-2005, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-18-2005 08:57 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick is correct -- didn't you guys read the article? Modern does indeed rent 16mm (not 35mm), and they do indeed rent Disney. I have a vague recollection of some extra conditions involving whether admission was charged, etc., etc., but best to check with them.

--jhawk

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 09:04 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, the question was on the mention that he was using film from his personal collection.

Why is it you can get 16mm Disney films but not 35mm?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-18-2005 09:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Because that's the way the Mouse House works. No one ever said their policies made sense. [Confused]

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 09:50 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Inappropriate post removed by moderator]

[ 04-19-2005, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: