Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Do you volunteer outside of work? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Do you volunteer outside of work?
Chris Mosel
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 09:14 AM      Profile for Chris Mosel   Email Chris Mosel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every year for the past three years I have volunteered a week of my time with the Texas Special Olympics. We set up, maintain, and take down the facilities for 8000 athletes, coaches and families. It is extremely rewarding and has really helped me get a positive start to what are normally long summer months.

Does any one else do anything fun or interesting like this outside of theatre stuff?

|  IP: Logged

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 11:02 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I volunteer (only about two weekendd a year and one week in the summer since I'm still in school) at Boggy Creek just north of Orlando. It's a great time, and you really get to make a difference in someone's life. I do this through my fraternity, and one of our alumni Cool Hand Luke (Paul Newman) started the whole thing...if you live in FL, I recommend it. They also have camps in New York, Connecticut, California, North Carolina; and even in UK, France, Israel, and they are building one in Africa.

Boggy Creek
Hole in the Wall Gang Camps

I also volunteer @ school with the FSU Film Programming Committee; we pick out the films, festivals, events, etc. that go on.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-15-2005 01:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was secretary of our local chamber of commerce for the better part of 16 years. I'm not on the chamber board right now but still do a lot of work for them (printing up posters, event tickets, scrip money for promotions, etc.). It's good PR, they sponsor a couple of very good ($$$) events at the theatre every year.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 01:22 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I earned my Eagle Scout Award in 1992 and still help out the local Boy Scout troop from time to time. A few years back I taught a geology class during a district meet in which over 35 boys earned the Geology merit badge. I also organized a mock archaeology dig for 10 guys to earn their awards based in this field as well.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 04-15-2005 01:23 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to volunteer quiet a bit during high school, mainly to make it look good for college. I was in Keep Mesquite Beautiful and the HOPE Club, both organizations pretty much served the same purpose. But the HOPE Club let me go on better field trips. I should probably start doing it again since I have nothing better to do. [Big Grin]

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2005 10:50 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a coach for YABA (Young American Bowling Alliance). I coach every Saturday morning and some tournements throughout the year. I have been asked to coach a High School team next year.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-18-2005 02:22 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They say that charity begins at home...

I would just love to offer free alignment and training services to independent theatre owners who are operating on tight budgets and would otherwise not get checked out.

I don't plan on making a living doing tech work anymore but I enjoyed doing the work and would like to stay in practice and see more of the country.

Doesn't that just make you feel all warm-and-fuzzy?

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 05:29 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm am a member of the Civil Air Patrol.. I just recently accepted an appointment as my Squadron's emergency services officer. That should keep me fairly busy..

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-18-2005 06:03 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A retired Kodak colleague and mentor, Rollie Zavada, is very active in the NY Civil Air Patrol. Still flying at the age of 78. [Smile] [Cool] For many years, Rollie served as Engineering Vice President of the SMPTE.

David L Parlier
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 08:22 AM      Profile for David L Parlier   Author's Homepage   Email David L Parlier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was active in our local Civil Air Patrol Squadron until it fizzled out a few years back. Currently I volunteer as a Rescue Captain on West Macon Fire and Rescue which provides Fire, Rescue, and Medical services to our citizens on the western end of the county. It provides me all the volunteering I could want since it is 24/7/365.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-18-2005 10:27 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too did some time in the Civil Air Patrol (32 years in both Nevada and California wings) before finally leaving the organization in 1999. Spent most of that time volunteering in their cadet program, an aerospace and USAF indoctrination program for teenagers (was a cadet myself 1968-1976). Also worked as a volunteer instructor in the CAP's aerospace education program. And worked a lot of search & rescue (SAR) missions over the years, usually in communications or air operations. Even got to fly once in a while. "CAP" really stands for "Come And Pay", i.e. Lieutenants "get" to donate $1000 a year, Captains "get" to donate $1500, Majors "get" to donate $2000, and Colonels "get" to donate $2500+. On that scale I should have been a B/G. [Big Grin] I'm sure the numbers are higher these days. [Eek!]

When I lived in SoCal this last time I volunteered with the Long Beach Japanese Language School, helping out with school operations and three fund-raising events each year. Every March we sold shaved ice at the Little Tokyo Chibi 10k, in June we held a carnival and street dancing (ondo) party in Long Beach (I was a volunteer waiter in the school's udon noodle restaurant), and in September made and sold temaki sushi (just California Rolls) at the Int'l Food Festival in Orange. Also painted and re-tiled the school's classrooms. Was lots o' fun--gads how I really miss those people.

These days I just volunteer at my school, doing things around the aviation department, things that need to be done but that the school just won't pay for (this week it's assembling PCATDs in Boulder City). Am also lending a hand with getting the school's anime club restarted and running again at the West Charleston Campus. Also going to get active this year with the local JACL (Japanese American Citizens League) chapter.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-18-2005 12:03 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
I would just love to offer free alignment and training services to independent theatre owners who are operating on tight budgets and would otherwise not get checked out.
AFAIC, All somebody needs to do is ask. Provided I have the time and equipment at my disposal, I'd do it in a minute.

What do I ACTUALLY volunteer for?

My wife is in charge of the local historical museum which happens to be housed in a Victorian brownstone mansion. Every year when a new Harry Potter book or movie comes out the museum has a Harry Potter style "Morning of Magic" where all the kids come in and play Harry Potter style wizard games. I volunteer on Harry Potter Day.

I get to be the "Professor Snape"! [evil]
(And, Yes! The kids *expect* me to treat them like the "real" Snape would! Lots of fun to be had abusing (in a fun way) the kids, there! [Wink] )

I teach the kids about all the fun and evil things you can do with kitchen chemistry:
  • Making "oobleck" from cornstarch.
  • Making "slime" from white glue and borax.
  • Making acid/base indicator from boiled cabbage juice.
  • Makind said acid/base solution fizz all over the table top.
  • I do a version of the "iodine clock reaction" that can be done at home without use of strong acids. (Uses ascorbic acid instead of sulphuric.)
Every time I do it I add and subtract experiments just to keep it fresh. We do get a fair share of repeat customers. It keeps the kiddies from getting bored.
If anybody's got some ideas for new experiments I'm open for suggestions. The rules are:
  • Must be kid friendly. No unreasonable poisonous/dangerous substances.
  • Appropriate for kids 8-12 years old.
  • Has to be able to be done from items readily available from the kitchen cupboard or which can be bought at the grocery store or hardware store.
  • Must have an underlying scientific principle that can be used vicariously as a science lesson.
  • Ideally, something that the kids and their parents can repeat in their own kitchens/workshops with reasonable certianty of success.
Next time I think I'm going to teach them how to electroplate quarters with copper... How to turn coins into "gold"! [Big Grin]

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 07:14 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny,

Anytime you want to see Ohio you are welcome here. [Big Grin] Got a screening room to build and tweek. [thumbsup]

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 07:42 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"CAP" really stands for "Come And Pay", i.e. Lieutenants "get" to donate $1000 a year, Captains "get" to donate $1500, Majors "get" to donate $2000, and Colonels "get" to donate $2500+. On that scale I should have been a B/G. [Big Grin] I'm sure the numbers are higher these days. [Eek!]
It hasn't cost all that much - yet.. My squadron in Kansas was well stocked since our Supply Officer knew how to get about anything he wanted from the DRMO - so most of our uniform stuff was free. But, the more SAREXs and training things I go to, the costs will start adding up there.. It is fun, though..

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-18-2005 08:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles

Done that Manny when I was back in the Midwest area. Out here my boss allows me to do that to a small extent. He'd rather I fix a booth thats down than not fix it.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: