Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Any Steven Wright fans here?

Author Topic: Any Steven Wright fans here?
Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2005 01:18 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to see the standup comedian Steven Wright last night for the first time, and there's a relevant joke that I wanted to share here.

'The other night I went out to return a movie. The theatre management were very upset'. [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2005 01:43 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup I'm a fan.

I remember he was the "guy on the couch" in the movie Half Baked, and was also a radio personality in Reservoir Dogs.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 04-13-2005 03:29 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely! He was a pilot in So I Married An Axe Murderer. "Oh, sure, I do this all the time ... I've never done it at night." Also he had a 10 second bit in the beginning of Mixed Nuts, which is one of my favorite parts of that movie.

A couple of his stand-up bits I recall ...

"Whenever I fill out a form with 'In case of emergency, notify:', I put 'doctor'. What the hell's my mother going to do?"

"It's funny the way they wrap straws ... after all, it's the inside I want clean."

Well, I guess there's something lost in the translation. It's totally his vocal cadence that makes the humor. Great, great stuff.

James Faber
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2005 04:29 AM      Profile for James Faber   Author's Homepage   Email James Faber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen Wright is great. He was also the guy who did the voice of the DJ in Reservior Dogs.

I don't know if you guys already knew that Mitch Hedburg died(if you've even heard of him). I got to see him about 2 months ago. Glad I got to see him before he went.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-13-2005 10:30 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven Wright is great. His jokes are funny as hell and his unique deadpan delivery adds an odd dimension to it.

"I bought some powdered water, but I didn't know what to add."

"I accidentally put my car key into my house door lock and it started up. I drove my house around and then decided to park it in the middle of the highway. Traffic backed up. I opened my door and told all those people to get the hell out of my driveway."

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-13-2005 10:39 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I saw a lady with a furcoat and I asked her what kind of fur it was. She said, squirrell. I said, my God he must have been huge."

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-13-2005 11:12 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Steven Wright fan too.

"You can't have everything...where would you put it?"

"I got a cordless extension cord."

"You know that feeling you get when you tip yourself back on two legs of your chair and you almost fall but just at the last second you catch yourself? I feel like that all the time."

"I moved into a new house but it didn't have electricity ... lucky thing my camera had a flash. I wanted to make a sandwich, I had to take 60 pictures of my kitchen."

"Having sex with Rachel was amazing. It was like a concert. She yells a lot; she throws frisbees around the room; and when she wants more, she lights a match."

"My uncle is a millionaire. He's the guy who designed that diagram that shows you how to put batteries in something."

"It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it."

I'm also a Mitch Hedberg fan. I didn't know Hedberg died until I saw it in Rolling Stone last night. He was hilarious, quite similar to Wright except a much more wired/stoned delivery.

"I bought an ant farm....them fellas didn't grow shit!"

"I used to have a paper route. I had to go to 2,000 houses...or two dumpsters."

His two CDs are available on Comedy Central Records.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-13-2005 05:14 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven Wright is really funny.

"When I was in high school, I got in trouble with my girlfriend's Dad. He said, 'I want my daughter back by 8:15.' I said, 'The middle of August? Cool!'"

"I replaced the headlights on my car with strobe lights. Now it looks like I'm the only one moving."

Some others HERE.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-13-2005 05:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another few of my favorites:

"I have a map of the United States that's actual size. When people ask me where I live, I say 'E-5.' Last summer I folded it."

"When I was a baby, I kept a diary. Recently I was re-reading it. It said 'Day 1: Still tired from the move."

"I was Ceasarean born. You can't really tell -- except whenever I leave the house I go out through the window."

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car."

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 04-14-2005 01:41 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another favorite I just remembered:

"I went home and put a blank tape in the stereo, turned it up full blast. Five minutes later I got my neighbor pounding on the door. He's a mime."

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2005 02:04 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I borrowed some records from my friend and taped them, but I had the cords connected the wrong way so I erased all his records. (Don't know if that's Steven Wright, but same sorta humor.)

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-20-2005 05:13 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven Wright is more than just funny, he is also an Academy Award Winner as well... check him out at his website at..

www.stevenwright.com

ciao

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-21-2005 12:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I'd like to do my imitation of bowling....

(he drags the microphone across the stage for a few seconds)

...Gutter."

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-22-2005 12:57 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a sign on a lamp post...it said "LOST: $20 note. Reward offered. If found...keep it"

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 04-25-2005 01:02 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE Steven Wright. His dry sense of humor is right up my alley.

"I don't have a fear of heights, I have a fear of widths. I walk my dog around the ledge of my building."

JJ

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: