Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Do you donate blood? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Do you donate blood?
Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 04-12-2005 12:51 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend has been contemplating on it and she suggested I should probably do it as well. Not for saving lives or anything silly like that but for the $$$CASH$$$. [Big Grin] [Razz] Going through a blood transfusion would be awesome. Sitting there eating cookies for a couple of hours and feeling the life get sucked out of me then put back into me... [Cool]

Do you give blood? Also, are you an organ donor?

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2005 01:28 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I donate blood on a semi regular basis. They do not give cash here for it, but the person who may end up needing down the road could be you or a family member. And Yes I am an organ donor as well. What good are the organs gonna do me after I am dead?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-12-2005 01:35 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I donate blood regularly. I've never heard of anyone getting paid for it. They usually just give out free cookies and juice. On New Year's Eve, I've gotten a First Night button (which entitled me to admission to various NYE events).

It takes about half an hour (if that) and doesn't hurt any more than getting an injection at the doctor's office.

I'm not an organ donor because I have never figured out the procedure to become one. If I have some spare time, that might change someday.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-12-2005 01:37 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a multiple orgasm donor, does that count?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-12-2005 01:40 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but not as much as I should. Only totaled a bit more than a gallon over my lifetime. All given freely to the Red Cross. [Smile]

My older sister has a relatively rare blood type (AB-negative), and had her first child before RH-antibodies were known. So she was asked to participate in a program to "lend" her blood on a regular basis to obtain the antibodies for other women:

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic2/rhogam.htm

quote:
RhoGAM® and MICRhoGAM® Rho(D) Immune Globulin (Human) are sterile solutions containing IgG anti-D (anti-Rh) for use in preventing Rh immunization. They are manufactured from human plasma containing anti-D.
My 94-year-old father gave his body to medical research at the University of Buffalo Medical School. About a year after his death in late 1999 we received his ashes from the school. At the funeral Mass, we celebrated his life, but without his body present.

My wife has Epilepsy since she had eclamptic seizures from Toxemia after our first daughter was born 29 years ago. She hopes that giving her body to research after she dies will help gain a better understanding of the damage that had occurred in her brain. After the good experience with my Dad's memorial, we both think leaving your body to science is a good thing to do.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 04-12-2005 02:25 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a regular blood doner in New York City. I do not get paid. I feel it is a worthwhile as blood supplies are often short. I usually give a pint every quarter and have been doing so for the past thirty-five years.

When my time comes, my family knows my wishes are to have all of my usable parts donated to help whoever they can. The back of the New York State Drivers license also is signed and witnessed as a donor.

My wife and I also have a living wills which have been in effect since 1987.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2005 02:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My stepmother donates a lot of blood through the Red Cross usually once every other month. As for myself, I do not donate due inpart to my heart health.

When my mom was in advanced stages of liver failure (TTP), she required tens of units of blood to replace those units in her that could not be purified. In the last weeks of her life she was being ferresed twice, or even three times per day. Everytime my uncle comes home he donates a little to try and make up for what she used.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2005 02:59 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you only get paid if you're donating plasma, not just blood. I donate regularly since I'm AB negative. The blood bank calls me at home if i haven't come in for over four months!

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2005 03:27 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, never. The "bloodmobile" might as well hang a banner above the door that reads "no fags allowed". [fu]

Silly rules like that make one wonder if they really do test the blood before they ship it out.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2005 04:29 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the state of Washington, you can have a stamp on your driver's license indicating you are an organ donor.
I don't think anyone would want my blood. Too much Rainier beer in it.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-12-2005 05:20 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are probably several bits of my anatomy which wouldn't be of much use to anyone (no double entendre intended, Phil!), for similar reasons... [beer]

Agreed entirely about medical research and organ donation. When the time comes, there's no point in any part of my body going up in smoke and adding to the global warming problem if it could be recycled for a more constructive use. I don't mind if that's research or transplanting - it's not like I'll be around to have much say in the matter! In Britain, driving licences have a 'donor slip' at the bottom, which you can sign in order to indicate that, if you meet a sudden death while carrying it, the authorities have your blessing to salvage whatever pieces may be recyclable. I've signed it, put it in my wallet and, for obvious reasons, haven't really thought much about it since.

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2005 05:41 PM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To add a data point to the thread: I have given blood
ever since I reached the age of 18, usually as often
as the UK's http://www.blood.co.uk/ allows (about 3
times a year). IIRC my next donation will be my 40th.

I might need it back some day... ;-)

Alex.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-12-2005 06:36 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I donate platelets at the Oklahoma Blood Institute on a regular basis --currently at a rate of once every two weeks. Platelets are the clotting factor of your blood and the most needed blood component.

A person in good health replaces his entire platelet supply on an average of every three days. You can donate it pretty often, but most places usually don't recommend you do it anymore than 2 or 3 times a month.

It is difficult to get people to donate platelets. It takes quite a bit longer to donate a unit of platelets than whole blood. You can donate a pint of whole blood in under 20 minutes (if even that). It typically takes a donor 90 minutes to 2 hours to donate a unit of platelets.

I don't get paid for donating. However, the Oklahoma Blood Institute (www.obi.org) has a Members For Life program where frequent donors can build up points to earn things, such as merchandise like jackets and shirts or highly detailed "heart check" screenings, the tests of which normally cost hundreds of dollars if you get them done at a doctor's office.

The Oklahoma Blood Institute is quite an organization. It has one of America's best blood donation and testing networks. Lots of blood centers job out their tests to other facilities. The OBI does their own. Because of this, the OBI is far faster in response time. The OBI was first to have units of blood into New York City after the 9-11-01 terrorist attack.

Every time I donate at the OBI, they check my blood for all sorts of stuff and I get a free basic reading of cholesterol and liver function levels. That's been pretty useful lately. I had bronchitis this past winter and had to take methylpredizone (a powerful steroid) to knock it out. That drug shot my cholesterol level up to 256! My total number is back down to 186, as of my donation last week.

There's also other benefits. I can camp out for two hours hooked up to that automated blood donation machine drinking free sodas and eating free snacks. The center has a bunch of DVD and VHS machines and TVs mounted over every donation station. So I just kick back and watch a movie. You also get a free t-shirt every time you donate. Some of the shirts are actually pretty cool. Lots of sports oriented ones. Bass Pro Shops also did a promotion with them too. I have quite a growing collection of the things.

There's currently a major shortage in the nation's blood supply. Influenza and other factors have cut down on the number of blood donors. Lots of people are also not able to give blood simply for where they have traveled in the last decade or two (Europe, Iraq, the far east, parts of Mexico, etc.). Most military people are unable to donate because of where they have traveled. That hurts efforts since they have been among the most frequent blood donors.

There are some places where people can get paid for donating blood or blood products. Usually such places are bio-tech companies that use the blood for testing new drugs and such. Aventis has a center here in Lawton that collects plasma donations for such purposes and pays donors. There are some WIERD people hanging out there! There are few, if any, blood donation centers left in the United States that will pay donors for blood to put into the medical supply.

Oh, one last benefit for donating: the piece of mind knowing you're safe for other singles. The OBI tests all donations for HIV, types of hepatitis and several STDs.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2005 06:46 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, like Bobby, do the platelet pheresis program also. Donate about once a month.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2005 07:44 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I donate blood every few months. When you donate blood, you get blood "on account" if you ever need a transfusion, otherwise you have to pay for it. It is good to donate blood every now and then because it keeps your marrow ready to make a good amount of new blood, just incase you lose some due to a bad cut. They also check your blood for HIV, and a few other things.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: