Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What other forums do you visit? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What other forums do you visit?
Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 04-10-2005 03:34 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What other forums/groups do you partake in(actual contributions)? And what forums/groups do you just sit back and read?

Forums I participate in:
* Funky Munk Productions Forum
* Perky Monkey Message Board
* And obviously this forum...

Forums/Groups I surf:
* Cinematour Forum
* The MagicBox Forums
* Google Groups
* Yahoo! Groups

Other sites that I'm apart of:
* CNET Download.com Music
* Pure Volume
* Dmusic
* Myspace Music
* ACIDplanet

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-10-2005 05:22 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had much time recently, but have been part of all of the following:

The Britsh Transport Films forum, accessble through this site:

http://www.britishtransportfilms.co.uk/

A Yahoo group on Dye Transfer prnting, the still verson.

The forums on Graflex cameras, and related matters at:

www.graflex.org.

Various newsgroups, including:

rec.arts.moves.tech
alt.engneerng.electrcal
uk.transport
uk.transport.london
uk.transport.buses
uk.railway
misc.transport.rail.americas
misc.transport.urban-transit
comp.dcom.lans.ethernet

Ones I've dropped out of:

uk.media.dvd
rec.video.dvd.tech

Both were useful in the early days, but tended mo move into making your own DVDs, something that I'm not much involved in as yet, or piracy of commercial ones, something that I'm not involved in at all. The latter seems to have reduced n the last year or two.

Various political groups

The same thing as happened to the political forum here; I doubt if there is now one message in a hundred worth reading, and it's too much like hard work to sort through all the dross.

alt.atheism, and, from that, various religious groups

The same as the political groups, plus I came to feel that debate about my non-belief in a deity with other atheists is rather like debate about the non-existance of a particular film projector. Shall we discuss the (non-existant) Gaumont-Kalee 87, the reasons for our non-belief, or the nature of its non-existance? There is a difference here, in that different people have different beliefs, but sadly, any discussion of this between them seems to rapidly degenerate into a slanging match, or worse.

alt.atheism.moderated

Seems to have died

Any contributions which I have made will be either under by real name, as here, or one of my several e-mail addresses, furles@mail.croydon.ac.uk, if posted from the new version of Google Groups; I haven't worked out yet how to get this thing to display my real name. Does anyone else know? I seldom use the Pipex news server as it is incredibly slow.

I never post under a false name, there are some work-related matters that I would not be permiitted to discuss in a public forum; in this case I will not post anything, though I may read what others have said.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-10-2005 07:51 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to know what forums (fora) Phil visits....

[Smile]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-10-2005 12:47 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every day:
www.animeondvd.com forum
http://nausicaa.net/miyazaki mailing list
http://forums.flightinfo.com forum
www.airliners.net just to look at the purdy pitchers

Once in a great while:
Certain other apparently unmentionable forums and newsgroups [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-10-2005 03:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mainly technical stuff......

Since I buld alot of high end audio gear.....

www.diyaudio.com

Since I restore alot of test gear.....

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TekScopes/

I agree with Paul but its not an every day visit......

www.airliners.net

For surplus test gear or parts...

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/

To see what Marty has been up to lately.....

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-10-2005 06:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In order of how often I visit:

Magicbox - Moderator. Excellent site about games.
HDTVArcade - Site about videogames and HDTV.
Film-Tech - Moderator. Site about movie projectors.
Kikizo - You can win games for being the best poster. Obviously I win every month.
AVS Forums - You must register in order to view this site in a fashion which won't make your eyeballs explode.
Perky Monkey - Moderator or Administrator. Only been there a few times. Sorry Nate!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-10-2005 09:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A&M Corner - A site dedicated to the classic A&M Records label, home of Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, Carpenters, Styx, Supertramp, etc. (I'm a moderator over there.)

Classic Toy Trains Forum - operated by the magazine of the same name. It's dedicated to collectors and operators of "toy" train layouts, as opposed to scale model layouts (although the two are converging more and more in recent years). I mostly lurk there.

"The Dis" boards - Collection of forums relating to Disney World, Disneyland, and other Florida themeparks - Lurker only (it's way too busy to keep up with)

Magic Cafe - an unbelieveable number of forums by magicians for magicians. I used to do a bit of magic so it's fun to read once in a while but I've never joined it.

I visit film-tech probably more than any of the above with the exception of A&M Corner.

[ 04-11-2005, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Mike Blakesley ]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 04:39 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
A&M Corner - A site dedicated to the classic A&M Records label, home of Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, Carpenters, Styx, Supertramp, etc. (I'm a moderator over there.)
Ooops on a previous post about A&M & TJB!

Umm, and The Captain & Tenille were on A&M too, I think, & Peter Frampton...

The list of terror would be the groups where Scott Norwood hangs out & posts. It seem like all of usenet passes through him as a gateway or something.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 03:31 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In random order....
Radio-Info Houston Board - I read and post on this one

Hands Up Houston - I browse this board for messages and read and post depending on what I find interesting, but there isn't much there that interests me. I just got sucked in somehow to read people talking shit

Houston Architecture Info Forum - I mostly read the media forum.

houstontx - This is a community on livejournal for Houston.

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 04:05 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only 2 others.

Kevin Smith's View Askew Web board, which eats up alot of time (and I just got promoted from Jizz Mopper to Tracer)

and

from time to time the forum for the webcomic The Independant Losers

both as Movidude74

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 05:22 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forums I Participate In

WDW Magic - Disneyworld info, rumors, planning, etc.

nancies.org - Dave Matthews Band Forum

Acoustic Guitar Forum - Formerly the Taylor Guitar Forum

Cinematour.org - some weird site about movie theatres, I think it's in Spanish though [Big Grin]

Forums I just read
AppleNova Forums
VW Vortex Forums
Phil Hill's Forum

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 06:15 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film-Tech.com (Film stuf): Active forum bottom feeder.
Blackcode.com (Hacker stuff): I flame idiots, give advice, and amazingly get defended when flamed. (The forms are being redone right now however)

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-11-2005 06:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to Film-Tech:
Home Theater Forum
Tribe
Typograhica
Signweb.com
Signs101.com
Letterheads.com

I guess I probably ought to sign up with Cinematour.

The websites Design Is Kinky and K10K are pretty cool. But they're not really 'blogs.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-11-2005 09:17 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the forums (besides F-T) that I am a regular at:

One Hit Wonder Central Forum

The 'other popular 35mm film forum' that it is against F-T regs to mention by name or link to...

The Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Social Locals: What remains of what was once an extremely popular local BBS in the pre-internet days

The TOPS IN BLUE Priors' Guestbook

Our Gang: one of the many splinter boards that originated after the closure of yesterdayland.com.

I used to be a regular at the USENET groups rec.arts.movies.tech and rec.audio.tubes, but gave up when the spam load got too overwhelming.

-Aaron

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-11-2005 09:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 04-12-2005, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Gordon McLeod ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: