Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Would a sequel to Pretty In Pink be a bad idea?

Author Topic: Would a sequel to Pretty In Pink be a bad idea?
James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 02:04 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably

Classic '80s movie "Pretty In Pink" is to get a sequel, director John Hughes has announced. The teen adventure starred Molly Ringwald as Andie, a high school student with a crush on the handsome new guy (Andrew McCarthy) while Duckie (John Cryer), her loyal best friend - who has long had a crush on Andie - must watch from the sidelines.

This update, which should be in cinemas in time for the original's 20th anniversary in 2006, will see all three stars reprise their roles as we find out what's happened to the characters in the intervening decades.

|  IP: Logged

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 02:52 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A sequel to anything is a bad idea (not including the Godfather, of course.)

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While they're at it, let's bring Spice World back to life.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 03:29 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or Brad's dream sequel:

Anchorman 2, better yet, let make it a trilogy [evil]

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 04:15 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian, I would agree, but you do have the Back to the Future movies and Indiana Jones to consider.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-04-2005 04:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are always cases in point on things like sequals. I liked THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK too. Most preferred Start Trek II to Star Trek : The Motion Sickness...err.. Picture...then again, Star Trek was always "serial" in nature though Movies 2 - 4 were continuations of each other in trilogy fashion.

As to an update of Pretty in Pink...I don't think there is any need...nor to 16-candles (generally considered a superior film).

Wanna see a film that shows what happens over time to characters....(and keeping it in the Lucas summer mood) watch More American Grafitti. It didn't do very well. It was an interesting film in that different filming styles were used to convey the different time periods. Had it been done digitally, it would have done no better either.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 04:19 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if done well it might be okay. In terms of sequels, this is less like indiana and more like Before Sunrise / Before Sunset. Not that I've ever seen pretty in pink or most of John Hughes' other movies. For some reason, I keep thinking of Jay and Silent Bob strike back... [Big Grin]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-04-2005 05:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A sequel to "PRetty in Pink?" It'll do about the same business as that sequel to "Dirty Dancing" did.

quote: Steve Guttag
More American Grafitti. It didn't do very well.
I just watched this one last weekend (it came as a double feature with the original on DVD) It really wasn't very good. M.A.G. was not funny (except the Toad parts), and had neither a beginning nor an ending. It just sat there. The John Milner segments were particularly painful.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: