Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Pope has died.

Author Topic: The Pope has died.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-02-2005 02:23 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure this will not come as a surprise to anyone; it has been announced that the Pope died at 21:37 local time this evening. Local time is two hours ahead of GMT.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2005 02:59 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will be interesting to watch the proceedings in the next week-and-a-half or so. Although the passing of the Pope is a sad occasion, I think the real excitement will be the conclave of cardinals and the election of the successor to the Holy See. John Paul II was a very popular figure who will be very difficult to follow. Not quite familiar yet with the slate of candidates, but last year an Austrian cardinal . . . Ratzenburger . . . I think was touted as a possible successor. He seemed like a good choice to me for his youth and stance on certain issues, but did get into some trouble by others at the Vatican for speculating in a radio interview last year what Catholicism will look like post-John Paul II.

Perhaps it will be a surprise, just like in 1978.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-02-2005 04:24 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ratzenburger? Don't you mean Ratzinger? He is almost 80 years old too.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-02-2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was speculation in today's paper that the next pope might be African, given that the majority of the world's Roman Catholics are now located in that continent.

Kyle McEachern
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2005 05:39 PM      Profile for Kyle McEachern         Edit/Delete Post 
20% of the cardinals are from Latin America, which has been talked about as another possible location for the next pope, but something like 48.2% are still from Europe. Time will tell, but for now it's still about remembering John Paul II and what he did, even for those of us who aren't Catholic or religious in any amount. Like him or don't, he was a hugely important figure in the last quarter-century and his successor has a lot of challenges to face in the coming decade.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2005 07:21 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Michael. . . yes, Ratzinger. I didn't realize he was that old. Regardless, however, the next pope has some huge shoes to fill, and the troubles inside the Church continue to mount yearly. With all due respect to Leo and Kyle, as well as other forum members, the next pope will face some of the most monumental challanges in the history of Catholicism.

In North America, the child sex scandals coupled with downturn in those seeking to become priests and nuns is causing chaos in the dioceses. Just this year, another round of church closures and mergers has been anounced due to the lack of priests to cover all the parishes. The priest at the church I belonged to growing up now has two other churches to look after. I have actually sat in masses that have been cut short so he has enough drive time to the other church so mass could start on time there. In a way, the Church's conservative approach to a male-only, and unmarried priesthood has indirectly been the cause of this. John Paul II, quietly stood by for 25 years and watched it happen.

In Europe, there has been a decades long retreat from all forms of organized faith - Catholic and Evangelical alike. In the Netherlands, old churches have been converted into apartment buildings. I'm not saying everybody has abandoned religion, but I am saying it is not near the levels it was 40 - 50 years ago. (Same could be said in North America as well). A new pope, as well other heads of religions, will have to deal with this issue. United governments such as the EU have not taken a clear stand on this as far as I know.

In Asia, the Church faces problems as many of its faithful are persecuted and some killed. Catholics don't often speak about the Chinese faithful because they know things aren't too good there. Historically, in places like Vietnam (before 1975), there was much animosity between the wealthier, urban Christians and the poor, rural Buddhists. Critics of any new pope will question what plans his papacy will have for this part of the world.

In Africa, the Church has made many strides. However, don't expect a black pope. Many in Africa don't feel the Vatican did enough with regards to HIV/AIDS. This sickness destroyed whole population bases since the early 1980's throught the sub-Sahara regions. Personally, what more could the Church do than what was already done, but I don't believe the next pope will come from this part of the world.

That leaves South America. It looks like the perfect place to find a successor. Its governments (with the exception of Columbia and Venezuala) are politically stable, and the faithfull still attend mass in large numbers. But, what kind of clout would a Brazilian or Argentinian cardinal who finds himself as pope have over the rest of the faithful? The same question could have been asked in 1978, when a Polish cardinal succeeded into the position - the first non-Italian in over 400 years. Perhaps Kyle is right. Perhaps the next pope will come from here.

I hope my comments were kosher to the discussion and not divisive in any way. Its not like I'm trying to get banned or anything.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-02-2005 07:36 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the newsworthiness of this thread has come to an end.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: