Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » King Kong 2&3: Is this just an elaborate April Fool's joke?

Author Topic: King Kong 2&3: Is this just an elaborate April Fool's joke?
Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2005 02:01 PM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kongisking.net

I have been watching these production diaries since filming began. I don't want to get too excited about it and then find out tomorrow that it was an elaborate prank.

They show pre-viz shots and mattes, but it still seems like it's possible that they just put a lot of time into a joke.

I guess we'll know tomorrow

[ 04-02-2005, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Shane Hoffmann ]

|  IP: Logged

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2005 04:54 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one you posted looks totally legit, but I don't know why you refer to Kong 2 & 3. No mention is made of any sequels, aside from a reference to possibly using parts of the sets in a future film.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2005 05:56 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin you have to click the day 123 journal which isn't on the side, Shane posted the wrong link that is day 120 journal... www.kongisking.com and click the day 123 journal.

I'm sorry but this is an attempt at a April Fools joke, and a bad one at that...if you listen to them carefully you can tell. Jack Black is not serious at all. Plus who in the hell is going to mount browning machine guns on Son of Kongs shoulders? Not Peter Jackson. If this is legit and the idea that he talks about in the journal is really what he would/is doing...I will not watch the sequel. Son of Kong in WWII, sorry won't fly...plus June 2006 for Son of Kong and December 2006 for King Kong: In to the Wolf's Lair. I really have a hard time believing that.

But hey I could be wrong and made in to a fool...but I see this as being a Giant April Fools Joke.

Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2005 12:20 AM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that, I fixed the link. PJ was wearing the same shirt on both days, I got confused. It's possible that Quint from Aintitcool.com is in on it to, but this article seems to lend credibility to it.

From AICN:

"SON OF KONG finally confirmed! Peter Jackson spills all!!!

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with some great news. When I was out in New Zealand earlier this year Peter showed me his plans for the KONG sequels, SON OF KONG and the third, at that time Untitled, Kong film. I was unfortunately sworn to secrecy on everything I was shown as Universal wanted to make a big deal about the announcement of their franchise.

Still, I tried to drop some hints in my last KONG report. If you notice I called it "SON OF Quint's KONG reports!" If you go back and read it there are small, small hints at these next movies.

I've seen these genetically enhanced creatures that KONG will have to face. At Weta they had a whole shelf of them. On the surface, Kong's Son fighting these Nazi created creatures might seem a little silly, but I assure you it's no more silly than Kong fighting dinosaurs and big snakes. It's actually quite a brilliant move by Jackson because he's making these creatures just as sympathetic as Kong himself. They were tortured by the Nazis, twisted into these horrific sights. The giant bat monster is the exception. That fucker is just plain evil. However, wait until you see giant wolf creature. It's scary, but even in the maquette I saw, the eyes showed so much soul..."

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2005 08:50 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They got me up until they showed the drawing of the machine guns on King Kong's shoulders and the 6-month apart release dates of the two sequels.

Besides, I can't see the studio okaying anything but preproduction until they see whether Kong is a hit. These are expensive movies and Peter Jackson or not, you never know.

Also, I checked Variety Online and there's no such story there that I could find.

By the way, anyone notice that Peter Jackson seems to have lost about 100 pounds? (Or is that a special effect?)

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2005 08:57 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He has lost I believe something like 85lbs since he started pre-production on Kong. I think its in one of the middle diaries that he talks about it.

Edited for Michael [Smile]

[ 04-02-2005, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Kurt Zupin ]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-02-2005 10:03 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
He has lost I believe something like 85lbs sense he started pre-production on Kong.
Since or sense? Both would make sense to me. He seems to have lost a lot of sense, remaking "King Kong". That is going to be one giant bomb, like Emmerich's "Godzilla".

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2005 10:49 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Emmerich didn't have the passion for the source material as PJ does. You have to remember Emmerich made his own version of Godzilla...from memory I don't think any of the Japanese versions had Godzilla in New York layin eggs in Madison Square Garden? [Big Grin]

Kong is the movie that made PJ want to make movies...I don't think it will be a bomb...but I also don't think that it will be as huge a success as the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 11:14 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IT WAS A JOKE! Just as I had stated earlier on, was confirmed over at Comingsoon.net

All is well I suppose, cause those two films would of sucked...an ape with machine guns on his shoulders.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: