Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Recording LPs on a PC (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Recording LPs on a PC
Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2005 02:56 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm contemplating recording some of my old LPs onto a PC for transfer to CDs. Tried connecting my AR turntable with a magnetic cartridge to the PC sound card but I get very low and distorted sound. Does anyone have any recommendations for S/W and/or H/W to get the job done?

Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-28-2005 03:09 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're going to need a phono pre-amp or transformer to get the output of that magnetic cartridge up to a level your PC sound card will be happy with. Many older stereo pre-amps had built-in mag phono stages, and there were many hi-end stand-alone step-up devices as well. Probably best to scout around on some audiophile sites then go hit the used equipment listings.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2005 03:13 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plug the turntable in whatever pre-amp/receiver you use with it, and take the tape outs and plug it into your sound card.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-28-2005 03:38 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Radio Shack Phono Preamp

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2005 04:16 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I take it that the average sound card has about a 500mv sensitivity on the line inputs? Using the tape out from my system should satisy the levels issue. Now about suitable software? The recorder in XP appears to be limited to 60 seconds.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-28-2005 05:07 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I have great recordings for both 45s and LPs using "LP Recorder". *.WAV format on HD and then to CD or MP3 Box.

Hardware: Technics SL-1210MK2B w/Shure V15VMR mag cartridge. B-TECH BT-26 Mag preamp. SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum EX. Low noise, hum-free, sounds great... less filling.

(Interesting mix of mfgr countries: Australia=software, Japan=TT, USA=cartridge, UK=preamp, and wherever the soundcard is made.)

I'd be cautious of that RS preamp. I wonder if it has RIAA eq in it? I'm suspicious cuz they mention to connect it to a "ceramic" phono input... which may or may not have it's own RIAA compensation. It pays to use good hardware.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2005 05:13 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always used whatever hardware I could get my hands on and Cooledit pro and done all my noise reduction processes manually within cooledit.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-28-2005 06:04 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at www.rdlnet.com. They have a phono preamp that follows the RIAA curve called the ST-PH1.

Our own SMART Devices has an equalizer specifically designed to re-EQ for the various responses over the years. Check out the home products division over at www.smartdev.com

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-28-2005 06:18 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
I wonder if it has RIAA eq in it?
It says "RIAA-EQ" in small letters, under "PRE-AMPLIFIER". I don't have personal experience using this battery-operated model, but I had an older AC-powered Radio Shack phono preamp that worked fine. In fact I probably still have it stashed away someplace.

-

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-28-2005 06:35 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave, I stand corrected... I didn't see that.

Let's plug that baby into a ceramic phono input with another RIAA curve. I mean 2 curves are better than one...

(They should drop that from their ad and make the RIAA thing more prominent... Oops! I forgot it's the RS brainiacs.) [Wink]

I agree Steve, the RDL stuff is really good too.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-28-2005 07:20 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used the Roxio CD creator 6 to do my transfers De-clicking and what not. I think there is a version 7 now. I have a stand alone CD recorder now so I record to RW media and then transfer over to the pc and break down the tracks and clean them up. Works pretty good I have to say.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-28-2005 08:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wanna hear some incredible recordings pick up one of the new "Red Seal RCA re-issue SACD's. These early to mid 1950's recordings were some of the first stereo LP recordings released to the public. The master tapes fortunately were carefully stored all these years and have been re-mastered to SACD. The good news is that they have finally been re-mastered correctly... someone realized that RCA had it OWN RECORDING CURVE and built a "Black Box" inverse curve to correctly EQ them. The results reveal some of the finest recordings ever made.... period. Too bad the RCA engineers never heard them as good as we do today. Few recordings made today even begin to come close to these old gems, the performances captured are on a whole as good or better than the sound itself.
http://www.livingstereo-sacd.com/index.jsp

Mark

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-28-2005 08:57 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
I stand corrected
Admittedly, one can never be too careful when dealing with Radio Shack. [Wink]

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2005 08:03 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for your commentrs & ideas. Now all I have to do is lug the old Pioneer (SX-650) beast downstairs to the computer and give it a shot. I also noticed that Comp USA has a USB interface but it requires line level input too.
[URL=http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp? product_code=308735&pfp=BROWSE[URL]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-30-2005 03:01 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a nifty little USB Audio capture device:
(beats the pants off a noisy soundcard any day of the week)

quote: Rick Raskin
I also noticed that Comp USA has a USB interface but it requires line level input too.
(...this was probably the same device that you saw at CompUSA, but your link didn't work..)

http://www.xitel.com/product_inport.htm

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Wanna hear some incredible recordings, pick up one of the new "Red Seal RCA re-issue SACD's
Yes Marko, these are "SWEET" CD's coming from the "House of Nipper"

I collect these original open reel recording of these SACD releases, in which I have the original 2-track consumer release tapes which were released in the mid 50's.

When one hears these SACD's and compare this to the original open reel release, sometimes the tape STILL has the quality being a true analog form.

Below is a pict of one of my tapes (the Tchaikovsky 6th with Monteux conducting the BSO - recorded January of 1955 at Symphony Hall, Boston, using an AMPEX 351 recorder with 2tracks @ 15ips with a two Telefunken U-47 mic, setup), and one can compare the newly released SACD, in the site that Mark posted, of the same orchestra piece.

-

Taking my open reel Pioneer 1050 and pipe it into my computer using this USB device, I can make some pretty wicked sounding CD's.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: