Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Is anyone famous from the town you grew up in? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Is anyone famous from the town you grew up in?
Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2005 01:25 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watching the news made me think of this-

I grew up and went to High School in Nutley,NJ
The only famous people I know of from there are,

Robert Blake & Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart was actually inducted into the Nutley Hall of Fame.(Pre-legal troubles)

Yes I am serious about that. Nutley Hall of Fame

To think I played on the same playgrounds as a Little Rascal and
sat in the same classrooms as Martha Stewart.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-24-2005 02:05 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Angola, New York:

William Carrier, who developed modern air conditioning (HVAC) and founded the Carrier Corporation.

Clint Holmes, perennial Las Vegas entertainer.

Christian Laettner, NBA basketball player with the Miami Heat who played on the Duke NCAA Championship team of 1992.

John Pytlak, honored with an Academy Technical Achievement Award in 2001, the 2003 EPA Stratospheric Ozone Protection Award, and Fellowship in the SMPTE in 1982. [Wink]

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2005 02:18 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elmira, New York:

Hal Roach, motion picture pioneer, producer of the "Our Gang" and "Little Rascal" shorts.

Ernie Davis, Heisman trophy winner

Tommy Hilfiger, fashion designer (who I knew briefly when he and his brother were just getting started, they had a store downtown that I still have a pair of bell-bottom jeans from, circa 1970).

Brian Williams, NBC Nightly News anchorman

Eileen Collins, first female captain of the space shuttle.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2005 02:31 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Newark, DE

Sean Patrick Thomas (Save the Last Dance, Barbershop 1 & 2, Dracula 2000)

George Thorogood (Singer of "Bad to the Bone", used to live right down the street from where my house is (i.e. we never lived on that street at the same time))

Elizabeth Shue (The Karate Kid, Back to the Future 2 & 3...okay she's from Wilmington, but it's only a 20-30 minute drive from Newark, only 10-15 minutes by bus or rail...there's a middle school in the greater Newark area named after her)

Kyle Caudill
Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2005 04:01 PM      Profile for Kyle Caudill   Email Kyle Caudill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flatwoods, KY

Billy Ray Cyrus.....mullet man and country music singer/actor

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2005 04:20 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strother Martin ("What we have here is a failure to communicate" - warden "boss" from Cool Hand Luke)was born here. Great character actor, who left us at too young an age.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-24-2005 04:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bethesda, MD

Jim Hensen

Mark Halperin (VP of ABC news on the political desk...most recently noted for his memo on the Kerry/Bush election thing)...he was in my class in Jr. High and High School.

Anthony Delwig...was QB of Greenbay Packers for a season or two in the '80s.

I'm sure there are many others that are just not coming to mind at the moment.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-24-2005 04:33 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wimbledon (suburb of south London, as in the tennis):

William Wilberforce (anti-slavery pioneer)
Neville Heath - aka the 'brides in the bath' murderer
Jessie Matthews (British film star in the '30s)

Now you get into arguments about the definition of 'from there'. Wilberforce, Heath and Matthews are the only celebs I know of who (like me) were born and spent most of their childhood in Wimbledon. Others associated with the place are:

Tennis players associated with the championships there;
Football (soccer) players associated with the Wimbledon team between its spectacular F.A. Cup win in 1988 and the start of its decline in the late '90s, Vinnie Jones being an obvious example;
Julius Caesar encamped on what is now Wimbledon Common;
The former Prime Minister John Major attended Rutlish High School, as did Heath and Yours Truly. Don't worry, though - I have no intention of following in the footsteps of either!

Fictitious Wimbledonians:

The Wombles
Characters in Nigel Williams' novels, e.g. The Wimbledon Poisoner.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-24-2005 05:22 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see, born in Malibu and grew up in and around Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Lots of celebrities come to these places, but can't think of too many that are from these places. [Smile]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2005 05:28 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everett, Washington

Patrick Duffy
....although he claims he's from Montana. He was a cheerleader at Cascade HS in Everett. (and I have the yearbook to prove it) [Big Grin]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-24-2005 05:54 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winchester, KY:

-- Some kid named Matt Long, who's a principle in "Jack and Bobby" on TV.
-- Old bag newspaper reporter and press corps hanger-on Helen Thomas.
-- Tim Reed, trailer producer/director.
-- an NBC announcer, whose name I forgot in the 60s, who v/o'd "Concentration".

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2005 06:32 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up in Topeka, KS.. Famous residents include Vice President Charles Curtis, Karl Menninger, and the local nut case, the Rev. Fred Phelps...

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-24-2005 06:40 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Tim, Hugh Downs?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-24-2005 06:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how famous he is outside of art circles, but premier western sculptor Bill Rains grew up in Forsyth.

www.billrains.com

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-24-2005 07:55 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, it wasn't Hugh Downs. I'm thinking it was either Bob Clayton, who was announcer on the show before becoming the host, or his announcer.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: