Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Slow tonight? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Slow tonight?
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2002 09:08 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious if everyon else is as slow tonight as we are? It's been several weeks since we've been this slow. I do expect a good turnout tomorrow for SC 2. I-Spy will continue to do mediocre business. It's a shmae that Owen paired with Murphy on this one.. Anyone with 1/2 a brain could see this one was going to tank from the start.

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2002 12:07 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Studios don't have half a brain. They think in terms of genres and past performance on specific weekends. Charlies Angels did well on the first week in November. It was a adaptation of a 70's classic action show. I Spy (also put out by Sony, if you'll note) is very similar from a studio executive's viewpoint. So, by their logic, it should have also done well. Likely they were shooting for a $40-50 million opening.

As far as business being slow in general, we didn't get Santa Clause II or I Spy, but The Ring and Jackass were both strong holds. In fact, a combination of very strong word of mouth and being the Friday after Haloween gave The Ring a considerable bump up, at least in this market.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2002 01:23 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jackass took a huge drop (65%) from last weekend. Thank God. Mayeb there are people out there with intelligence after all.. I simply can't believe what some people pay for these days... I honestly think that I could take a dump in a box, advertise it and there would be those who would PAY to see it...

And as for I-Spy... I'll personally buy everyone on this forum a Film-Tech shirt if it does 50mil.

Brian Potts
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2002 01:23 AM      Profile for Brian Potts   Email Brian Potts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Business is going to be off for probably another week or so. Then the big ones start hitting. As for my theatre, The Ring was a sellout again tonight. Jackass was pretty strong. My Big Fat Greek Wedding was 2nd highest grosser in it's 14th weekend. It was out-grossed by SC2.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-02-2002 01:30 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone needs to take a good look and ask this question. When was the last time that that Owen Wilson and Eddie Murphy had a big box office hit. Wilson is one dementional in everything he plays in. He sounds the same and talks the same and has the same mannerisms with all of his characters. He is boring. Murphy was very funny in his prime. The 80's was his best decade.

Wilson needs to take some of that money he makes and get that freaking nose fixed. Looks like someone squeezed the middle of it and it is now permanently stuck that way.

What Charlies Angels had going for it you can't find in I spy. That's three hot chicks.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-02-2002 01:31 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason I sure hope you mean 50 mil this weekend? Cause its gonna take in at least that much domestic by the time it is done.

I think that THE RING has some real staying power. It should remain in the top five for a while yet.

Dave

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2002 01:32 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave: Affirmative on the 50mil for Fr/Sa/Sun OPENING wknd only... After all, to the bean counters.. opening wknd is all that matters anyway, right?

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2002 02:14 AM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ring is doing more business now than the weekend we opened it here. Jackass is also still big, but down more than 60% from last Friday. We did almost literally nothing with Santa Claus 2 today, and not great with I Spy.
Punch Drunk Love looks like it may do something for us this weekend, but today it took in just a little less than Jackass.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-02-2002 02:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's awful nice of you to purchase over 1000 shirts, Jason. So you are aware what the total bill will come to if this movie does over 50 million this weekend, right? I mean, each shirt sells for $500. You do the math.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2002 09:47 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only $500? Wow, I'm getting off cheap I guess.. I'm glad they aren't "digitized' shirts... Then again, if they were, they'd be so perfect that they would naturally sell themselves..

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2002 10:43 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our business is up this weekend and it doesn't have anything to do with The Weight of Water that opened here yesterday. Bowling for Columbine and Real Women Have Curves are responsible for our success. Both have held on to last weeks numbers.

The Weight of Water did 19 people for the prime show on Friday. Ky is already thinking about dumping it on Tuesday.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 10:01 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wilson needs to take some of that money he makes and get that freaking nose fixed. Looks like someone squeezed the middle of it and it is now permanently stuck that way.

HAHA! "Zoolander" was the first movie I actually payed attention to this, and I thought they made his nose that way for comic relief!! (He's a model, so he's supposed to be "really really good looking" but has this mishapen nose.)

As for "I Spy", maybe they thought since "Spy Kids" and "Spy Kids 2" did ok, they would use the same font and logo and make a grown-up movie. Oh well. It looked good on paper, as did/does "Spy Kids 3".

=TMP=

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 10:43 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I sure hope you mean 50 mil this weekend? Cause its gonna take in at least that much domestic by the time it is done.

Actually, with the 13-14 million gross it took in opening weekend, it will be lucky to hit 30-35 mill total for domestic.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-04-2002 10:44 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They didn't even use the cool theme music from the original I Spy TV show in the film.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-16-2005 12:24 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 862 days since the last post.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: