Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Who or what inspired you in this business (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Who or what inspired you in this business
Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 08:33 PM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have posted how long we have been in the biz, but, who or what has inspired you the most? How did you get in the business and what has made you stay?

|  IP: Logged

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 11:30 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What got me in the biz: I needed a job and I had just turned 16. I liked movies so I thought, 'hey, why not work at a movie theater?'

Why I'm still in the biz: BECAUSE IT'S ADDICTIVE!! and for some reason I can't pull myself out of working at theaters.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-14-2005 01:28 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At first, I was inspired by the projectors. Being on the "inside" of the operation.

Nowadays, that's still the case; but watching the satisfaction of the people enjoying the movies, and hearing the compliments we receive about the films and the theatre, are what keeps me enthusiastic.

Chris Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 01:52 AM      Profile for Chris Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My best friend had worked at the theatre for about 6 months, and I was looking for a job, so it just kinda fit.

And Allison is totally right; after awhile, it becomes incredibly addicting, and you find yourself unable to leave.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-14-2005 02:04 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okey...now it's my turn to tell my story:

..and I have to go back to the mid 50's...

My father was a school teacher. I was 5 yrs old. I really can't remember how it started, but every time when DAD would have a film to present to class, he'd bring home the B&H Filmosound model 185 16mm home and show us family, including aunts and uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews and friends and have a "movie party" of sorts. He'd show all the films that the school were showing that week over the weekend. Very, very educational films and some entertaining ones along with the bunch. Well, as a 5yr old, I'd never seen such a machine as a machine that can project moving imagery, plus having sound on a movie screen that my DAD rigged up on the wall using a bedsheet.

This machine was the most fascinating thing that I've ever seen! Course, being a bit of a "take it apart and put it back together" sort of kid with his toys, thus having some mechanical drive in me, seeing wheels and spur cogs spinning around pulling that strip of plastic through a machine and moving pictures come out and all of us being entertained by such a device as this.

After this, whenever my school(s) were having films, I would manage to sit close or near the projector-just to see it run.

Okey, now let's move up to 1962. We had just moved out to the country (I was a city kid) and didn't know anybody. I met this boy in my 6th grade class. He told me that his DAD was a theatre projectionist and he knows how to run 35mm film projectors. "35mm film projectors?" I said. Never heard of such of a machine. He then proceded to show me pictures of such machinery that his DAD took with him standing on a stool to thread the machines.

My friend has a massive collection of 8mm films - Castle Films, Disney Films and anything that he can get a hold of. Now, I'm bit with 8mm stuff...(lol). We'd watch his films when I could go over to his house and eat pizza while being entertained by his prized collection.

Okey, now let's head to 1969 - when we graduated from high school. Here is a pict of his first collection of 35mm equipment that he acquired from an old shutdown theatre that was given to him. We were in our front yard and my mother taking the foto:

-

This was an old Simplex Standard setup. He got the machinery cleaned up and running, but never got the old tunger bulb rectifier to work, yet the lamphouse was in very good condition with a practically new mirror.

That fall, he was offered a job at a drive in where we went to college. He had to turn it down for schooling factors, yet he told me about it and I checked in on it.

Well....you know the rest of the story...35 yrs later.

My friend in this picture is heading off to ShoWest this week..

He has a home theatre setup now with 35mm equipment. I take care of his setup from time to time.

You might say "friends forever" ....

Yes Chris, this job is MASSIVELY ADDICTIVE! I've had other jobs with potential career opportunities, but this occupation has such magnetism to enjoying it that it really "get's into the blood" so to say. When you advance in life with your career that you're acquiring, you'll never forget this field of work.

-thx Monte

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 02:25 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Monte....you've gotten wiser as your years racked up...How old is that pic?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-14-2005 02:34 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Richard. That pic was taken in the "Summer of 1969" (Bryan Adams, song..lol), right after we graduated from high school and we went on his first excursion for acquiring old booth equipment. He's acquired much more since then. It was a lot of fun.

I'm going to send down, for the picture warehouse of FT, of this Drive-In that I used to work at and where I began in this crazy business that fall of 1969. Please look for it when it gets posted.

thx-Monte

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-14-2005 03:11 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Allison Parsons
for some reason I can't pull myself out of working at theaters.
You WILL when there is something you need to buy, like a car, a house, or a piece of cheese.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-14-2005 03:35 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Allison Parsons
I can't pull myself out of working at theaters.

...as what Joe said and I agree. But get some learning on tekkie stuff, plus some management skills to stay within the walls of a theatre so you'll have some security with these new added skills, plus a better wage to be able to buy car, house, etc..

-Monte

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 07:00 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I needed beer money, so I got a job @ the local AMC. I worked concession for a few months, stumbled into the booth, got hooked, and convinced them to train me....

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-14-2005 09:37 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dean Kollet
I needed beer money...
Dean... FINALLY a guy that tells the real reason! [beer] [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 10:01 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A fellow by the name of Al Zarzana in Houston, Texas ran into me
at the Hieghts Theatre, in about 1957, and it all escallated from there. Now... that makes a loooooong [beer] story short!

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 10:47 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have to say that my reason for getting into the business was to attempt to support myself while in school, and just enjoy myself. I started my Sophomore year in High School, fall of 1998, and just enjoyed working as a concessionist, advancing up to Ticket Taker, and then to Doorman(Usher's were more of the person to walk in the theatre and check them every 5-10 mins. Doormen cleaned the theatre after the show).

After about 2 months of working there, I went up to the projection booth to get candy from the candy room, and stood their for about 5 mins just watching the projector run and the film feed out of the platter.

About 2 days later, the manager that hired me was showing me some more things to the doormans duties like changing pop cylinders and such, and he was telling me at the same time, that if I kept up with my work ethic and enthusiasm, I would be one day up in the booth making 8-10$ an hour sitting on my ass doing nothing, while everyone down here is busting theirs just to make minimum wage. That did it right there.

I went home that night and spoke with my mom, told her that I wanted to become a projectionist, and possibly a theatre owner, and she said go for it. My step-father on the other hand wasn't so optimistic. All he could say was, "You don't have the work ethic to do that, and you can't handle such a responsibility" and the list goes on. Needless to say, he wasn't very supportive at all, and every chance he got, he would say something along those lines.

Finally, in the summer of 2000, I went to England, Ireland, and Wales with the People to People Students Ambassadors program for 3 weeks. Came back 3 days before my Birthday, Aug. 1, and went to watch Coyote Ugly. While I was in the managers office letting him know that I was back in town ready to work, the head projectionist came into the office, and as I went to the box office to get my ticket, he said, "Once you have your ticket, I need to talk to you." So I went to the booth and sat down with him, and he said that they were looking to train another projectionist as the fill-in that they had right now wasn't working out. She didn't care for the films, and just took the job for the money really, and he asked me if I wanted to be trained. I said yes. I started training that September, and by the end of September I was on my own. Roger, my trainer, stated that out of everyone that he has seen trained, and train himself, I was the fastest learner, and that I should take pride in that, and the work that I do.

My first day on my own, I went home and told my step-father I was a projectionist, and that I proved him wrong. He has yet to say I couldn't do something since, and I don't think he's going to. My life motto is, if you tell me I can't do something I want to do, just watch, I'll see you when I do achieve it.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2005 01:08 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flashback to 1969, Hillsdale High School in San Mateo, Calif. I was a freshman in my World Geography class. We had movie day and we were watching a travel/promotional film on the Bahamas. The clown who was running the Graflex 16 projector kept running this one water skiing scene with these gorgeous babes forward/backward/forward/backward ad nauseum. Everyone was getting tired of this crap and the bozo running the projector said, "if you can do better than you do it". The poor presentation and bad atitude of that guy is what did it for me. The next day I signed up for AV class to run the 16mm machines. Fast forward to 1972. We had just moved back up here to Olympia, Washington and Andy Crow had just bought the Capitol Theater and Olympic Theater (across the street from each other). I went to the Capitol to watch a movie one day and Andy was taking tickets. I got there early and asked if I could look in the booth. Andy got on the Bogen intercom and talked to the union man on duty, Tex Taylor. Tex said come on up! It was fascinating to watch the carbon arcs and Brenkert projectors. I loved it! Tex could see I was very interested and he soon took me under his wing. I learned alot from him and I sure miss him. He passed away in 1986.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-15-2005 02:34 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Art Schruhl was my mentor into this world of projection. He used to supply and run 16mm movies for Las Vegas' summer recreation program, which is how I met him in 1970 when I was finishing 9th grade. His real job was spotlight operator and projectionist for the Folies Bergere at the Tropicana Hotel. I guess he saw something in me and extended an invitation to his booth... bad mistake. I became a fixture in that booth during my high school years. He, along with several others on that crew, taught me their craft and helped sponsor me into their guild. Art was more of a father to me than any combination of my real or step dads.

Art Schruhl, Johnny Johnson, Louie Bradfield, Jay Carlow, Jack Gregg, Don McCullough, Cass Plumpton, Kenny Brown, Bob Schomer (Tropicana); Larry Little, Edgar Wertsbaugh (Cinerama dome); Carl Lowe, Kenny Higgins (Fox Charleston Plaza); Ken West (Sahara); Kinsey Turner (Las Vegas Hilton); Dave Rogers, Marty Izzo, Terry O'Connor, Angelo Molinaro (Caesars Palace); Louie Wutkie (Skyway Drive-in); Woody Jones (Las Vegas Drive-in); Rory O'Connor, Jim Ostrum (Redrock); Bob Cadigan, Neil Nagata, George Ferguson, Ron Olney, Ray Gonzales, Dave Becker (Trans American Video). They all inspired me.

[ 03-20-2005, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: