Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Old Herbie vs. The New Herbie (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Old Herbie vs. The New Herbie
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-07-2005 09:19 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first saw that the Mouse House was coming out with a new Herbie movie, I was a little conflicted. I remember liking the old Herbie movies when I was growing up, but I figured they would probably find a way to screw a new one up with either a lot of "ZOOM IN! ZOOM OUT!" seizure-cam work, or a lot of CGI, or SOMETHING.

Then the trailer came out, and it actually started out looking ok. THEN the CGI Herbie jumped up and made a face, and I thought "Ugh. There it is." So here's a thread for everyone to discuss everything Herbie. Did you watch the old ones when you were growing up? Or if you're older, did you watch them with your kids as they grew up? Any thoughts on the new Herbie? Will it be big? Will it bomb? Somewhere in the middle?

Fire away...

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2005 09:54 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trailer makes me NOT want to see it. Looks like a bomb to me.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-07-2005 11:10 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original "Love Bug" was one of the most successful films shown at the Grandview Drive-In in Angola NY when I worked there during college. We sold out many shows in the Summer of 1969. I remember enjoying hearing all the laughter from the open car windows. [Smile] [Cool]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-07-2005 12:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original Herbie movies were funny shows about a magic car. The new one is simply a vehicle (ha, ha) for Lindsay Lohan.

If she wears a lot of low-cut shirts it might be worth watching. Otherwise, no.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2005 01:14 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lindsay Lohan.....droolllllll.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-07-2005 01:34 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Greco
Lindsay Lohan.....droolllllll.
LL..another "Titty" Spears wannabe.

...waiting for her to "slut" herself out.

Yes, one of my first fliks that I played at the Drive-In that I started back in '69. Dean Jones, Annette Pleshette, Buddy Hackett did their parts extremely well. (and the prints were IB Technicolor...)

And I agree with John: laughter coming out of the car windows. (Good ol' rear projection scenes...)

Yep, this is a LL flik - girl can't act. She, Kevin Costner and Tom Cruise must be related: can't act and their movies stunk (except for "Dances with Wolves").

-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-07-2005 02:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't agree that Lohan can't act. She was actually pretty good in "Mean Girls" (even wound up on a few ten-best lists for the year). She's got the opportunity to be a class act, if only she doesn't screw it up.

As for Tom Cruise, if his movies were really THAT bad, he wouldn't be one of the biggest stars in the world after over 20 years of moviemaking! [Cool]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-07-2005 02:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, I jumped the "gun" on Cruise, but it seems like his later movies just didn't have the panach as his earlier ones. His later ones were just "Tom Cruise" movies-he couldn't play the character very well without letting us know that Cruise was acting.

Dustin Hoffman, on the other hand can play any character he's given, like "Rainman" "Tootsie" and of course "Midnight Cowboy"

LL, did good in "Mean Girls" (my wife liked that movie..and this movie reminds me of "Heathers" - a dark movie in sorts), but is she going to be just another "Spears" who's all out for herself (and her chest..) and trying to be cute and famous at the same time?

She'll never fill in the shoes of Dean Jones. Bad reversal role picture.

-Monte

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2005 04:29 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1969 Love Bug movie had a great number of fantastic matte paintings, only when I read that great book "The Invisible Art", I realized that certain locations just never existed.
Like in many Disney non-animation movies, the acting seems a bit dated to me today, but as a kid I founf the first and second film exciting (the other sequels are better not mentioned).

BTW, there was a copycat series of five beetle films made in Germany and Spain from 1971 to 1975

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067318/ IMDB: SuperBug

If you think the poster is bad, you should see these low budget films with the director Rudolf Zehetgruber playing the male lead under the nom-de-guerre of "Robert Mark". [Big Grin]

-

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 03-07-2005 06:26 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was surprised when I saw the stills at Yahoo! Movies to see that they still used the old Type 1. I figured we'd have an all souped-up New Beetle or something this time around.

"Herbie Rides Again" is to this day one of my favorite movies ever. I still get a kick out of it today. We saw it at the Canyon Drive-In in Beaverton, OR, in our own ivory Type 1. My dad was night foreman at the big VW dealership in downtown Portland, which was owned by the Pacific Northwest VW distributor, so we had movie posters and other fun SWAG.

I never liked ANY of the other Herbie movies, including the first one.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2005 09:49 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new Herbie just looks like crap...when you see Herbie in the junk yard you go...hmmmm it just might be good...oh wait no...Herbies gone NASCAR...OH YES, just what we all wanted to see. NOT! It will bomb.

Monte for once I gotta disagree with you, I though that Tom Cruise did an awsome job in his last two roles, The Last Samurai and Collateral...Just two awsome movies and he was the character he was portraying, not Tome Cruise. Now Minority Report was a diffrent story, was it and enjoyable film...YES, but it was Tom Cruise on Screen not John Anderton.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-08-2005 03:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
Just two awsome movies and he was the character he was portraying, not Tome Cruise. Now Minority Report was a diffrent story, was it and enjoyable film...YES, but it was Tom Cruise on Screen not John Anderton.

LOL - okey, you got me. I deserved to be punished for my comments on "Tommy". I forgot about "Jerry McGuire" and "The Firm" - good movies of his.

(..wonder if Herbie is going to try to make the moves on L.L. Hope she doesn't sing ....)

-Monte

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2005 07:24 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the original Herbie, so I was excited they were making another one.......Then I saw the preview, I was so pissed, they ruined Herbie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-11-2005 03:52 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
...waiting for her to "slut" herself out.

You apparently haven't seen her new music video....

as for unable to act... I disagree... as for ruining already done movies... also disagree...

I recall that I was going to HATE freaky friday... but turned out to be a major improvement on the original. Yes I agree hard to improve on the bug... but I am not going to let a little bad CGI affect my opinion... The trailer didnt upset me, but did leave me wondering how in the world that herbie could qualify for nascar, considering the rules and all. How many nascar fans will know how asinine it is to suggest such a thing.

ciao

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-11-2005 06:09 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Herbie the Love Bug is the reason I got into the movie theater business.

I was just a kid when the movie came out. They had a talking Herbie in the lobby of the theater. I remember going there to see the car talk but it didn't say a thing. I was peved off 'cause the Herbie didn't talk! Then I went to get some popcorn all in a huff. When I came back, I was walking by and the car said something like, "Hey YOU! Ya' didn't think I could talk! Did ya'?!" I just about peed my pants! I spent half of the rest of the day trying to figure out how the car talked!

I spent the OTHER half trying to sneak into the projection booth!

You probably won't ever catch me going to a new "Herbie" movie. No matter how good it is it'll never measure up to the REAL Herbie!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: