Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How to fold a shirt, perfectly (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How to fold a shirt, perfectly
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-05-2005 04:06 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This video isn't in English, but you'll get the idea.

Click 1.9MB

[ 03-05-2005, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: Joe Redifer ]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-05-2005 04:32 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cute - a more slicker way to fold "T" shirts to place in the drawers.

(...now if we can get clowns how to assemble prints as easy as this.... lol)

-Monte

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-05-2005 10:57 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Foul! There's a jump cut before she flips it around.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 03-05-2005 11:18 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-05-2005 11:58 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there are two or three cuts but they don't affect the final outcome. Notice her hands stay in virtually the same position through the cuts.

I tried the method and it works pretty well. It'll only take you one or two times to practice before you get the hang of it.

The problem I see with this method is that there is one sleve that hangs out underneath the folded shirt. If it is in a pile with a bunch of other clothes and that pile gets jostled around it's easy to get all messed up. If you go to pick the shirt up, you have to hold it carefully for it to stay folded.

This might be a good way to fold shirts at home but it wouldn't be OK for a retail store. Imagine there is a pile of folded shirts on a shelf. Customers will rifle through them to find the one they like the best. (Size, color, etc.) Folded the way shown in the video, the whole pile will end up a wrinkled mess in a very little time. Folded the standard way, the crease is at the bottom facing the customer. It's easy to go through the stack and keep the shirts in relative neat order.

I suppose that because of the ease with which you can quickly refold the shirts this might not be a problem. However, the average American retail sales associate doesn't have a lot of time to spend keeping stacks of shirts in order.

I, having done the job, prefer to use a folding board. It's nothing more than a piece of foam core or poster board cut to the size you want the finished product to be. (One for each size of garment you sell.) Simply place the board over the shirt to be folded and bring the three sides up tight against the edges. Flip the shirt over, pull the board out from the top of the shirt and start on the next one.

Some stores are now buying these "folding machines" that look like cross between a four wheeled A/V cart and a drop-leaf table. You line the garment up with the marks on the table top then flip the "leaves" closed on top of the table. Instant fold! It's pretty neat and you can fold a whole bunch of items to the EXACT same size.

In retail, the appearence of your goods can make a big difference in your sales!

The place where I can see this method coming in REAL handy is when you have a lot of shirts to fold in a short amount of time. Say, in a factory that doesn't use automatic folding equipment or in a small/medium sized shop like a silk screen business. IF the goods were going to be boxed up only to be taken out and refolded by somebody else at the other end of the shipping chain the amount of time saved by folding this way COULD end up being significant. When time/motion studies of factory workers movements break the steps down to fractions of a second, the difference between folding one shirt every 10 seconds and folding one shirt every 5 seconds can add up to a lot of money! (Could it be that's where she picked up the technique?)

Maybe I'd like to try this method out on the sales floor but I don't know if it will work for the long term. It'd probably be okay for use at home, though.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 03-06-2005 05:25 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone actually translate what that women is saying?

JJ

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-06-2005 11:51 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She says: "Film handlers are understandably concerned about the future of their jobs, what with the impending rollout of D-Cinema. So NATO (National Association of Theater Owners), always known for taking care of its own, hired me to make this instructional video. NATO hopes that learning this new skill will help former booth workers to secure employment at The Gap someday."

(It's just a joke!! [evil] )

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2005 12:46 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this thread had been started several days earlier, I could have enlisted the help of a couple of Japanese interpreters brought in for a special event held last Thursday where I work. Oh, well...

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-06-2005 08:04 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pay my rate and I'll do it (the translation that is). [Big Grin]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2005 10:06 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it really sound like Japanese?

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-06-2005 10:35 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely Japanese.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-06-2005 10:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its funny... I first saw this about a year ago.....

Mark

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2005 10:54 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

What's funny is the fact that I tried this WHILE watching the vid and my shirt din't look like that... AT ALL...

LOL...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-06-2005 11:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I think you've got to have those teenie Japaneese hands to be able to fold it correctly.... Thats gotta be it....

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-10-2005 11:56 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Black
I tried this WHILE watching the vid and my shirt din't look like that... AT ALL...
I'm tellin' ya, it's a ruse. There's an edit right before she flips it over. They could've done anything to it underneath.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: