Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How Long in the Biz? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: How Long in the Biz?
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-02-2005 01:59 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Having read some of the posts of the old farts bragging about how long they've been in the biz...like 30, 35+ years, I thought it would be interesting to post how long one has been in the biz.

Not that anyone cares since time-in-grade is no measure of being competent, and in many cases it points to old-fashioned and out-dated procedures and operations. (Ya gotta change and update with the times ya old farts!)

BTW: PLEEZE do NOT turn this into another union/non-union boring thread! I DON'T CARE!

I'll start if off: I've been in the biz 35 minutes... err years.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-02-2005 02:11 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been in since 1981. Even during the 7 1/2 years spent in the Air Force, I still came home and ran movies when home on leave...

24 years... [Smile]

-Aaron

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2005 02:20 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since 1984, about 20 1/2 years.....

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2005 04:36 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since August 8th 1986...so about 18 and 1/2 years.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 03-02-2005 05:57 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Started 8 years ago, had a 2 year gap where I was out of the business. 6 years, and I'm already this good! [Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-02-2005 07:11 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not in the biz. I don't know why you are asking ME of all people. Geesh!

I need to pee. BRB.

Okay I am back. Anyway, since I am no longer in the biz, I feel that this question is inappropriate and puts a strain on our relationship.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-02-2005 07:37 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been involved in professional motion-picture exhibition for seven years now on a part-time basis. I'm still one of the "kids" here.

In high school and early on in college, I had some interest in film production. I made a few 16mm shorts and eventually found out that a) I wasn't terribly good at making films and b) the process gets super-expensive very quickly.

In college, I became interested in film exhibition, mostly as the result of having had the opportunity to see some memorable films in well-run theatres. I became frustrated with how poorly most commercial theatres were run and wanted to help to improve this. When the management changed at the theatre near my college, I stopped in to make some booking suggestions to the new owners. While I was there, an exciter bulb burned out and I showed their "projectionist" (nice guy, but completely clueless) how to replace it. They asked if I wanted a job as their projectionist. I accepted, even though I was completely clueless (but knew more about film than they did).

I got bitten by the "bug" then and have since done film projection work at many different types of venues. I've had the good fortune to meet and work with many caring and highly knowledgeable operators, as well as some great managers (and some bad ones).

I modern sound systems and projection equipment as much as anyone, but I prefer to work in booths with older "funky" equipment (as long as it's sufficient to put on a quality presentation).

At the moment, my only "regular" theatre job is holiday matinees (once a month or so) at a single-screen house that is an hour's drive away from my home. I do this because I enjoy running their carbon arc lamps and the owner truly cares about putting on a good show. I also do work for the Rhode Island Film Festival in August (for the last three years) and run occasional shows at (mostly) oddball venues in the Boston area.

I also own a pair of Century 35mm projectors and assorted 16mm equipment and will be working on an apartment screening room at some point in the forseeable future.

I still haven't worked at a drive-in, run a 3D show, or run DP70 projectors. Maybe someday I'll get to do these things.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-02-2005 08:21 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As of this May, 38 years. [Cool]

Started at the Grandview Drive-In in Angola NY in May 1967 (Century C, Ashcraft Super Cinex 11mm carbon arc lamps, RCA Sound) Designed and built one of the first drive-in radio sound systems in the northeast USA, with some films shown in stereo. Also worked at the New Angola Theatre (Standard Simplex, Peerless Magnarc). Both theatres are still in operation. Also filled in at some other theatres in the Buffalo NY area. Friends with IATSE 233 Business Agent Ken Kavanaugh and many Buffalo-area operators, even though the theatres in Angola were non-union.

Graduated from the State University of New York at Buffalo in May 1970, with a degree in Electronic Engineering. Ken Kavanaugh suggested applying to Kodak.

Started at Kodak on June 8, 1970. Have spent my entire career working on motion-picture projects.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2005 08:22 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started in the summer of 1965.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-02-2005 08:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since 1982. Am good for another 20 plus years if our company gets rid of the rattle trap vans it owns [Eek!] .

Mark

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2005 09:14 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started in 1996 so this year is my 9th year. As always, I started out in CCA, then moved to box in about a year. From there I became a projectionist and in 1999 became a manager. Did the manager thing for 2 years and found out I hated managing so demoted myself and am now just a projectionist and do most of the poster/promotional ordering on the side.

The theater was my first job ever and for some reason I can't leave it. Any help on how to would be appreciated [Smile]

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2005 09:20 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
19 YEARS THIS JULY.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-02-2005 09:25 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
since 1976

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2005 09:25 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since 1956.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2005 10:09 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since March 1999 ... so 6 years.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: