Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Jef Raskin, Creator of the Macintosh Dead

Author Topic: Jef Raskin, Creator of the Macintosh Dead
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-01-2005 07:21 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
From tuaw.com

Jef Raskin, Creator of the Macintosh died on Saturday
Posted Feb 27, 2005, 1:08 PM ET by Scott McNulty

Jef Raskin, the man often known as the creator of the Macintosh, died peacefully on Saturday February 26th reports DigiBarn, the computer museum.

Jef was always focused on the user and giving them the best possible computing experience. He thought that computers, both Mac and PC, as they stand now are way too complex and tend to get in the way more than they help.

His most recent venture was the Jef Raskin Center for Humane Interfaces, which seems to be very close to their first alpha release.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-02-2005 04:06 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh the original Mac. I had one that I used for several years until I fixed the window so it would stay open on its own. Just for fun I opened the case to see what was inside. I found that just about every Apple employee had signed the inside surface of the case mold... so if anyone bothered to undo the hidden screws and press the secret latches they could see Steve and the rest of the gang's signatures - backwards.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2005 04:31 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
I found that just about every Apple employee had signed the inside surface of the case mold
...and what's interesting along with this is when one cracks open the AMIGA 1000 case, all of the signatures that are molded in the top shell as well. Ssome of the old ATARI people who helped start AMIGA, including Jay Minor-the creator/owner of the AMIGA.

Now, that's a story in itself to be told: - AMIGA

-Monte

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2005 05:27 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
at least he went in his sleep...

my first computer was an Apple IIgs, loved it, wish I still had it for games like Zany Golf, and this one airplane game I had a joystick for...

Chris Mosel
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2005 03:51 PM      Profile for Chris Mosel   Email Chris Mosel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte:
Amiga was way ahead of its time. Wish I still had the CPU (died in a flood). I currently have my Amiga monitor hooked up to my Nintendo 64. Still looks great 20+ years later.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-03-2005 04:33 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amigas were the heart of the original Video Toaster system. It was darned-near bullet proof.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-03-2005 07:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I heard about the Video Toaster I was amazed. Newtek sent out awesome demo tapes that were done with Lightwave. I wanted one so bad. Then my friend got one and I wasn't very impressed. There wasn't much that could be done with it. It didn't even have a time base corrector if I recall. It came with Lightwave but that software has always been less than intuitive. We used it to create a few 3D animated titles and whatnot, but nothing truly spectacular. The Amiga platform got what it deserved... oblivion.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-03-2005 08:50 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, things change. Lightwave wasn't even around in the time period I'm talking about. This was the original Video Toaster, probably 12 years ago, at least. I wouldn't give two cents for it today, there's so much other stuff out there that's better.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: