Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Online Microphone Museum

Author Topic: Online Microphone Museum
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2005 06:53 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For lovers of old equipment, this is a great site:

Online Microphone Museum

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-23-2005 12:20 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..funny - the link's been suspended for excessive bandwidth usage. - Monte

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-23-2005 01:55 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A victim of its own success, it would seem.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2005 06:02 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great link and you can listen to the various microphones, too! A lot of these old mics command big bucks these days. I remember in the '60's using RCA Varacoustic mics for PA work and thought they were junk. Now they bring $400 at auction!!

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2005 07:50 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte--

I'm having NO trouble connecting to the link! [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-23-2005 08:08 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/apr02/36200.asp?format=print
Sorry guys but that virtual site is really pretty lame! Here is a story about a REAL microphone museum that I have had the pleasure of seeing several times in peson. This guy has so many famous mikes that its almost hard to take it all in.

-

By famous I mean well known mics and mics that were used to broadcast famous events... such as the Hindenburg disaster mic and one of the mics that Hitler used for his speeches.... Well over a thousand total. It takes Bob several hours to show several people through them all..... I don't think Bob has a web site but he is generally open to giving people tours if you call him at the office a few days in advance.....
Bob Paquettes Microphone Museum (Story)

IN the picture is the original WLW mic that was used to feed the largest AM transmitter ever built.... a 500 kilowatter that operated up to about WW-2. Here is also an interesting link to a site about WLW's transmitter museum!!

WLW Transmitter Site

Mark

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-23-2005 10:25 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks just like a Telefunken U-47!

Neumann U-47

[Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-23-2005 10:56 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an incredible CD available from Germany that I have called "Das Microphone". Its a compilatipon of recordings using modern digital recorders and old classic microphones starting with a pair of early 1920's Telefunkens and progressing foreword in microphine technology. These are full symphonic and chamber music groups. They all sound fantastic and its really amazing stuff to say the least!

MArk

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2005 06:00 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Microphone technology was way ahead of recording technology back in the 30's and 40's. Evidence the fact that many recording engineers still use RCA 44's and RCA 77's (and other oldies) in modern day recordings. [thumbsup]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2005 12:27 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the only mike to hook up to your cinema sound processor.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: