Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself
Kyle McEachern
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2005 12:51 AM      Profile for Kyle McEachern         Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle's long link!

quote:
DENVER (AP) -- Hunter S. Thompson, the acerbic counterculture writer who popularized a new form of fictional journalism in books like "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," fatally shot himself Sunday night at his Aspen-area home, his son said. He was 67.

"Hunter prized his privacy and we ask that his friends and admirers respect that privacy as well as that of his family," Juan Thompson said in a statement released to the Aspen Daily News.

Pitkin County Sheriff officials confirmed to The Associated Press that Thompson had died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. Thompson's wife, Anita, was not home at the time.

Besides the 1972 drug-hazed classic about Thompson's visit to Las Vegas, he also wrote "Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72." The central character in those wild, sprawling satires was "Dr. Thompson," a snarling, drug- and alcohol-crazed observer and participant.

Thompson is credited with pioneering New Journalism _ or, as he dubbed it, "gonzo journalism" _ in which the writer made himself an essential component of the story. Much of his earliest work appeared in Rolling Stone magazine.

"Fiction is based on reality unless you're a fairy-tale artist," Thompson told the AP in 2003. "You have to get your knowledge of life from somewhere. You have to know the material you're writing about before you alter it."

The story goes on past there, but that's the main portion. Quite a loss for people who enjoyed his writing and films like Fear and Loathing.

[ 02-21-2005, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-21-2005 01:00 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone that takes their own life is really a sad thing. I've dealt with many 13-25+ gay kids here in Hollywood that felt that life is not worth it. It really is upsetting no matter the reason or the sexual orientation when someone takes that final and irreversible step... I cry everytime.

[ 02-21-2005, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: Phil Hill ]

James Faber
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2005 02:57 AM      Profile for James Faber   Author's Homepage   Email James Faber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT!? This is almost as bad as Elliot Smith...

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-21-2005 04:16 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I give...for all of us dumbass nitwits, who are you talking about James?

James Faber
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2005 04:21 AM      Profile for James Faber   Author's Homepage   Email James Faber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elliot Smith is(or rather, was) a singer/song writer who died about a year ago from two self-inflicted stabbing wounds to the chest. Gruesome.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 02-21-2005 04:23 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elliott Smith had supposedly self-inflicted "multiple" stab wounds to the chest. At first it was dubbed suicide, but now I think the final verdict is "inconclusive".

It's always depressing to hear to loss of an artist, whatever the circumstances. I wasn't too familiar with Thompson's work, but it's saddening nonetheless.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-21-2005 04:28 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm OK, while it's always sad to hear about that, what songs did he write and was famous for?

Not to be a jerk, but I'm just wondering...

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 02-21-2005 04:30 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miss Misery, the single from the Good Will Hunting soundtrack was the most well known. He performed it on the Oscars, the year it was nominated as best song.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-21-2005 09:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hunter S. Thompson was a druggie, right? Drugs are always a fantastic idea!

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2005 11:50 AM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was deeply saddened this morning when I heard the news. HST was my favorite author and he will be deeply missed by all that followed his work.

"Don't stop here, man, this is bat country."

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-21-2005 06:40 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was really shocked to hear about HST checking out. Sure, he was a huge enthusiast of firearms and known to use a .44 magnum revolver to dispatch manual typewriters he didn't like. But I never imagined he would kill himself.

Maybe HST was facing something like inoperable cancer and wanted to go out on his own terms. That's what Hemingway did. These days, a hospital will greedily drain away your estate as they prolong your death. Given the choice, I'd rather allow a son to inherit my house rather than let some damned hospital administrator take it.

My father's a writer (and just had his fourth military non-fiction book published) and a huge HST fan. He's pretty hurt by the death of "Gonzo." HST was the genuine article and his influence on modern journalism and creative writing will be felt for decades to come.

Mike Amici
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2005 10:09 PM      Profile for Mike Amici   Email Mike Amici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, it looks like the 70's are finaly over. i will miss the guy

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2005 10:32 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
he was a fantastic writer, but everyone now seems to talk about how he was cool and did drugs.

James Faber
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2005 02:17 AM      Profile for James Faber   Author's Homepage   Email James Faber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His song Needle in the Hay was also playing during Luke Wilson's suicide scene in The Royal Tenenbaums.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-22-2005 07:10 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think many of the '50's and '60's writers (and others) have become disappointed with how, in a few short years, hippies became yuppies, etc. For example, look at Abby Hoffman.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: