Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Number 53 brings relief to Italy

Author Topic: Number 53 brings relief to Italy
Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2005 05:07 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Mr Hill always told me it was 16 higher than that [Big Grin]
Click here
Actually it's all down to money , as usual. Coutesy of BBC News online

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2005 10:51 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And to think that I believed the lottery was only an American phenomenon inwhich grandma can blow her whole social security check on scratch tickets while spending the rest of the month eating canned dog food. [Big Grin]

Seriously, if these people are that hard up for money, do some low-risk investments or something with the cash they're blowing. Sure, the return sucks in comparison to a lottery payout, but AT LEAST THERE IS A PAYOUT.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-11-2005 11:01 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lottery: A tax on the math-impaired.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-11-2005 01:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
News links die quickly (sometimes as quickly as one day's time) and as such the text needs to be pasted onto the thread.

quote:

Number 53 brings relief to Italy
euro notes
Superstitions surround Italy's lottery fever
The elusive number 53, blamed for several deaths and bankruptcies, has finally popped up in the Venice lottery after a two-year wait.

Italians had bet more than 3.5bn euros (£2.4bn), hoping that 53 would turn up, in what became a national obsession.

Last month a woman drowned herself in the sea off Tuscany after she bet the family savings on 53, Reuters reports.

And police said a man living near Florence shot his wife and son and then himself because of his number 53 debts.

The Italian national lotto invites bets of any amount on numbers from 1 to 90 in bi-weekly draws.

The draws take place in 10 cities across the country. For each draw, 50 numbers are picked, five in each of 10 cities.

A consumer group, Codacons, recently urged the government to ban the number 53 from the draw, to halt the country's "collective psychosis".

After 53 finally appeared on Wednesday night, it said it was delighted that Italy's "bewitchment" had been broken.

Italy's Ansa news agency said the wins from Wednesday's draw would cost the Italian state up to 600 million euros (£413m; $768m).

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-12-2005 02:25 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
So, how do you spell "RELIEF"?

BTW Dick: "Mr. Hill"? You talked to my dad? I'm shocked that he would say such a thing! HA! [Razz]

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2005 05:11 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies Brad. I do usually post the text. Put it down to sleep deprivation

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: