Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Grammy Awards Show - 2nd Fewest Viewers Ever (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Grammy Awards Show - 2nd Fewest Viewers Ever
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-15-2005 12:07 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a story I just read off CNN's website. Perhaps this might be a clue for the RIAA and all the corporate dumbasses running the music industry. It might be a clue about the real problems causing their declining sales figures: shit quality product on average.

If the decline was all to blame on Internet piracy, the show's ratings should have been great regardless. Fans are going to watch their favorite bands on TV whether they buy or illegally burn their CDs, right? I think the fact "Desperate Housewives" was a greater ratings draw just shows there's not much pop music out there worth a popcorn fart.

Here's a link to the story:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/14/media.grammys.reut/index.html

And here's the story:
quote:
Grammy viewership 2nd-lowest ever
Awards show beaten by 'Desperate Housewives'

Monday, February 14, 2005 Posted: 3:09 PM EST (2009 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- With "Desperate Housewives" as competitors, the Grammy awards Sunday drew their lowest total viewership in a decade and also fell sharply among the audience of 18- to 49-year-olds most coveted by advertisers, according to preliminary figures released Monday.

Citing data from Nielsen Media Research, CBS said the telecast drew 18.83 million viewers. That was the lowest figure since March 1995 and the second-lowest in the history of Nielsen's Grammy viewership data.

Among the key 18- to 49-year-old age group, CBS said the show drew an 8.1 rating. In comparison, the rating for that audience in 2004 was near 12.

Each ratings point represents 1 percent of homes with television sets.

Sunday's awards were marked by acclaim for the late Ray Charles, who won five posthumous awards, including album of the year and record of the year.

The awards won the 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. prime-time hours relatively easily among total viewers and in the 18-49 ratings. But at 9 p.m. the runaway ABC hit "Desperate Housewives" outdrew the Grammys by nearly 3 million viewers and almost 1.5 points in the 18-49 group.

CBS is a unit of Viacom Inc. and ABC is owned by the Walt Disney Co..

|  IP: Logged

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2005 12:48 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe if the Grammys actually was an 'Award show' and not one big long and boring concert, maybe I'd watch.

And the same is about to go to the Oscars. Give me AWARDS people! Give me the human emotion of tears, laughter and smiles when someone wins something! Not just some damn music that I've heard a billion times! [uhoh]

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2005 01:14 AM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Allison, couldn't agree more.

[beer]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-15-2005 01:17 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't watched the Grammys or the Oscars "live" in years. I tape them and zip through them in an hour or so. That's when I'm interested, that is....this year I didn't even tape the Grammys because I knew Ray Charles was going to sweep. Anybody should've known that, so why watch? The Oscars this year will be more interesting.

The other reason the viewers are down, "DUH" is there are now eleventy billion channels plus DVD/VCR/games/computer all vying for the tube-phile's attention, and besides you can have all the results instantly on the Net without needing to watch the show, so what's surprising about the Grammys ratings being in the toilet?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-15-2005 01:23 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmm I fell asleep through some of it. However I did not miss the band I wanted to see Lynyrd Skynyrd. Hell, I remember when they did the heavy metal award. Guess that didn't last long. Of course it pissed me off when the first heavy metal award went to a non heavy metal band Jethro Tull instead of Metallica.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2005 02:23 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get why anyone still gives a rat's ass about the Grammys after the Milli Vanilli fiasco. Even before then they'd given out dubious awards, like 1978's Best New Artist- A Taste Of Honey (known for the deep and profound opus "Boogie Oogie Oogie")- don't know who else was nominated that year, but there HAD to have been someone better. The Beatles once lost to Engelbert Humperdinck, and Toto has won more awards than the Beatles also.
And like I've said a billion times, the CBS "Eye" logo staring out of the lower-right of the screen through the entire show has got to be driving away a number of viewers as well. I MIGHT have checked out at least some of the show if they'd gotten rid of that; I think it was tape-delayed on the West Coast also which I've always thought was unfair. The East Coast got to see most shows live but us on the West had to see it tape-delayed, it's like we're second-class citizens- reason why I've never watched Saturday Night Live even when it was funny.
Oh yeah- back to music, I used to buy an average of 20 CDs a month, but went just about cold-turkey when the prices went up. Most regular albums list at $18.98 which is outrageous. I work for a retailer so I can get CDs at a discount, but they still come out to more than I was paying for them 15 years ago so I don't find most music out now worth the money. LPs for 50 cents at Goodwill is a much better value.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2005 02:27 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesnt help they give dead people grammies for just being dead. I wonder how many voters even listened to a single cut of Ray Charles last album.

Oscar ratings will be down too and it's not because of Chris Rock's so called controversial comments. They nominated a boring slate of nominees and they will pay for it with low ratings.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-15-2005 10:04 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still think the main problem is the music itself.

The Grammy's ratings were deplorable in the age 18 to 49 demographic. Most of the nominees, performers and presenters were of the R&B/hip-hop/rap crowd. I don't listen to much of that at all and buy very few CDs in that category. I find it irritating whenever anyone refers to that stuff as "rock music." That makes about as much sense as someone trying to call a Dixie Chicks CD "jazz."

Aside from finding much of R&B, hip hop and rap to be very derivative (along with some rap being hatefully offensive), I just don't relate to it at all. I don't relate to a lot of the image and fashion being promoted by it. There's not much out there for white guys in their 20's or 30's who just like good rock music. This is why I don't watch MTV anymore. They hardly play videos anyway. MTV2 used to be pretty good. But now it seems like all they play is rap. The same is starting to be true of VH1. Now all I have is the FUSE channel, and even that's getting awful annoying. If they're not playing Green Day, they're playing some Goddamned band that sounds like Green Day. Arrggh!

I think the music industry is just grossly out of touch with the marketplace. Not just a little bit either. This problem makes the way the Democratic Party miscalculated the views of "red states" look very minor by comparison. That's just an example, not an attempt to start something political.

Anyway, if the folks running the Grammy show (as well as the idiots in the music industry) want to reach out to a great deal of white-bread America, they're going to have to do so with more than just white guys like Eminem doing gangsta rap. I sure am playing the hell out my classic rock CDs and not buying anything new lately.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2005 10:10 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The Grammy's ratings were deplorable in the age 18 to 49 demographic
Why watch the Grammy's when 18 yr olds can watch TRL on MTV and see the same top 40 singers on that show? Granted, their not going to get the Lynard Skynards and the Nora Jones...but unfortunatly, most of the 18 year olds I know couldn't give a crap about them. Sad to say.

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2005 10:10 AM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2nd dewest viewers eh?

It was the first time in years that I watched at all, and admittededly I switched over during both Simpsons episodes.

I wanted to see the Southern Rock Tribute, the Ray Charles Tribute(s) and was damned glad to catch the Joplin Tribute. The only thing I wanted to see that I missed was Green Day's performance but that was okay.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-15-2005 10:37 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's interesting is that in our area they had the ratings sweep for the local radio stations. Turns out that the number one radio station in the ratings was a talk radio station. That pretty much sums up everything that people would rather listen to other people ramble on about something interesting or not than listen to some of this repetative non influenced music that has been played lately.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2005 11:01 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I still think the main problem is the music itself.
Thats interesting. A few years ago I had a non-traditional student who played in a band growing up and graduated high school in 1983. The next year he went to California to "hit it big", but the only thing he could land was a part time job in a recording studio.

One day while working he struck up a conversation with his boss who told him that within ten years (by 1994), the music industry will be pumping out total crap, R&B/rap-dominated, minority-targeted beats simply because it was a question of economics. In other words: Today's music is cheaper to write, produce, and market, because of the changing norms in our society. This student claimed that during the 1990's it was easier to find artists, pay them 20% less than what they're white counterparts made ten years earlier, and use less of a pop/synthesised beat. The cost savings over time equaled millions when factoring in equipment, utility, and transportation for these instruments.

If you think about it, this makes sense. Music did change in the early 90's from a Debbi Gibson/mallrat sound over to a moaning, low-talent R&B style. It turned me against pop music forever and was timed perfectly for the rise of Alternative Music (though I think Kurt Kobain's death brought that style into the mainstream). One can claim Britney or Christina reversed it, but think again. MTV kept the low-talent medium alive for years by switching over to shit programing like TRL and the Ashley Simpson show. Now America is finally waking up to the fact that pop sucks, has sucked, and will continue to suck, so long as the current decision makers dominate that industry.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-15-2005 02:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a lot of good pop music still being made. You just have to find it. If you have access to XM Radio, listen to channel 22 "The Mix." They play no rap or downer-R&B, just good pop/rock music from zero to 10 years old. I have it on right now, in fact and it sounds damn good to my 48-year-old ears.

I'm still in "classic" mode in my vehicle though....I'm doing a non-stop Tijuana Brass marathon in honor of William Hooper. [Big Grin]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-15-2005 03:22 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Grammies were on?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-15-2005 05:56 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Both the Grammy Awards and the MTV Music Awards have sucked big time and stink to high heaven the last several years...

Unfortunately, the Academy Awards have been going that way too... YUK!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: