Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What is the worst thing about website designs? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What is the worst thing about website designs?
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-13-2005 01:35 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the most annoying thing to you? Popups? Advertisements? Really tiny navigational text links? Flash?

My personal hatred is websites with sound. [Mad]

|  IP: Logged

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2005 01:48 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Web sites that have some sort of Flash trailer or what not playing and there is no 'skip' button for you to click so you dont have to watch it.

Good example: the Dreamworks exhibitor relations site has one on there now for the Ring 2 promotion. grrrr

pop-ups come in at a close second.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2005 01:51 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a dial-up user, I hate sites designed for highspeed. I mean, sites that take me three minutes to load becuase they have 20 photos and a flash intro.

But I am just complaining. It would just be stupid to cater your whole site to dial-up users since "highspeed" will be "normal speed" in just a few years.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-13-2005 01:53 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate sites that don't have me on them.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-13-2005 02:06 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flash doesn't bother me, because I don't install the plugin. I ignore web sites that aren't usable without it.

Popups don't bother me because I turn off popups.

What does bother me:

Anything not usable in Lynx (unless obviously image-oriented or something like that).

Anything that depends on Javascript for basic functionality.

Anything that doesn't use standards-compliant HTML.

Anything with blinking text or animated GIFs.

Anything with banner ads, especially if they are animated, slow-loading, or large in size.

Anything that crashes my browser.

Anything that requires "free registration" to view content (e.g. New York Times).

Anything that requires a specific HTTP_REFERER (umm...Brad...hello) to get to a specific page.

Anything where "web site" or "Web site" is spelled "website" (last I checked, "website" isn't a word).

In short, basically every commercial web site at the moment.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-13-2005 02:17 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
HTTP_REFERER on websites kick ass! [Big Grin]

James Faber
Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2005 03:21 AM      Profile for James Faber   Author's Homepage   Email James Faber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I think you got about all of them.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-13-2005 04:33 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, he missed intro screens that do nothing but welcome you to the website, then you have to click through them to get where you wanted to go. [Razz]

James Faber
Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2005 04:41 AM      Profile for James Faber   Author's Homepage   Email James Faber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and stupid disclaimers!

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2005 06:08 AM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clever website designers that make right-click stuff hard, like popping up a message box, or like search results on this very site where right-click, open on new tab from the search results sends you to the home page...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-13-2005 06:10 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's because you are using an evil browser. Click here to fix that.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-13-2005 07:52 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sites which won't work without setting cookies and which don't give you a reasonable explanation of why they need to set cookies. And ones which invite third parties to set tracking cookies which most people who don't use Firefox would have no idea are coming in annoy me especially.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-13-2005 10:20 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most notorious sites I hate for many of the reasons posted here are official "websites" (he said with tongue sticking out at Scott Norwood) for major movie releases.

How much flash crap do I have to go through to download a fricking movie poster?

So although I link those sites to showtimes for customers to reference, I usually go to Yahoo! Movies for images and posters...

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-13-2005 11:14 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ads that use Java to "Fly in" from the edge of the browser are especially annoying. I also hate the new flash banners that contain movie trailers built in.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2005 12:41 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate Flash crap. Popups aren't too bad since I have Popup Stopper, but those damn Pop-unders keep getting thru (fastclick.net).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: