Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Canadian screen ad gets call for boycott (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Canadian screen ad gets call for boycott
Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2005 02:03 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from cbc.ca
Same-sex ad sparks call for boycott
Last Updated Wed, 09 Feb 2005 12:42:38 EST
CBC Arts
TORONTO - A group that opposes same-sex marriage is calling for a boycott of Famous Players because of an ad being shown in the chain's theatres.

The ad in question, which began running Feb. 1, is part of the slide show before each movie.

Lasting 10 seconds, it calls on theatre patrons to contact their member of Parliament to say they support the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

"We are deeply saddened by Famous Players Theatres' decision to subject unsuspecting moviegoers to ads promoting same-sex marriage," Charles McVety, president of Calgary's Canada Family Action Coalition – which belongs to the Defend Marriage Coalition – said in a statement.

"It is a betrayal of the trust accorded to Famous Players by their viewing public, including parents who send their children to see a film."

Prime Minister Paul Martin has said that supporting same-sex marriage is an issue of defending the Charter.

McVety said the Defend Marriage Coalition is asking moviegoers to boycott Famous Players to show their feelings about the ad.

But Nuria Bronfman, an executive with Famous Players, said the ad is like any other that runs in theatres.

"We are a medium, an advertising medium, before our shows. That's what our screens are used for. So, like other media – newspapers, magazines, TV – the message doesn't necessarily reflect our point of view," she told the Canadian Press.

The ad was paid for by Salah Bachir, a leader in Toronto's gay community and the head of Famous Players Media, the independent company that sells advertising space in Famous Players theatres and on its screens.

Bachir bought the ad on behalf of Canadians For Equal Marriage, an organization that supports passing the legislation currently before Parliament.

"It's not a PSA [public service announcement] by any means," Bronfman said.

Bronfman said that McVety's group had asked for free equal time for its own message, but was turned down. She didn't know if it was now trying to buy an ad.

The Canada Family Action Coalition describes itself as a Bible-centred organization "with a vision to see Judeo-Christian moral principles restored in Canada."

The Defend Marriage Coalition also includes the Catholic Civil Rights League, Campaign Life Coalition and Real Women of Canada.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-09-2005 03:04 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least it's not an ad for Filmguard starring Brent. You'd need Bruce LaBruce to direct that one!

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-09-2005 06:18 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put it to a vote. Let's see what happens....

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-09-2005 07:18 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
While Canada is WAY ahead of the US in gay rights and equal rights for all, I personally do not think that a "captured" audience as in a movie theatre is the proper place for such "ads." (It's bad enough that WE have to endure ANY ads in a theatre!)

I think it is just as wrong in that venue as if they played some ad that said marriage is between one man and one woman blah blah blah. Or some asinine religious ad ...Ummmm like "Do you know what hell is? Come in and hear our organist play this Sunday."

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2005 07:33 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil--

I AGREE> [Wink]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-09-2005 08:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay... Although I have made some very opinionated posts in the past, you'll notice that my opinions on some subjects have been conspicuously absent. My opinion about the ostensible subject of this debate (gay marriage) shall continue to remain absent.

The true subject of this debate SHOULD be about whether it's ethical for a movie theater to accept payment for advertisements (and subsequently display said ads) which contain a political message.

I say that it's NOT okay for a theater to show ads which have a political message... AT ALL!

It basically puts the theater manager in a position not unlike a nuclear arms dealer. No matter WHAT he sells or to WHOM he sells it, SOMEBODY is going to get hurt. (Or offended.)

Think for a sec. A theater manager's job is to put as many butts in the seats as possible. Offending 50% of your customer base is not a good way to do that.
(Assuming 50% of the people will be either for or against said political message.)

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-09-2005 08:30 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's what I said too, Randy. But, I also added any religious ad to the unacceptable ads.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-09-2005 08:43 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like a good argument for getting rid of cinema advertising! [thumbsup]

I don't personally think that there is anything unethical about showing political or religious advertisements in a theatre (or any other environment where paid advertisments are displayed), but I agree with Randy that it doesn't make very good business sense to accept ads on highly controversial topics (which includes politics and religion).

There are definitely double standards in the advertising industry--a quick look at the NCN web site implies that ads featuring guns (for example) are not acceptable, but when I last worked at a theatre that ran NCN film ads (two years ago), it seemed like every week there was some sort of "join the army" or "join the marines" ad in the program. Hmm....

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-09-2005 08:59 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Scott, I don't agree. As a patron that PAID bux to be entertained, I sure the hell do not want to be barraged by ANY fucking political OR religious "message" from ANYONE! Fuck 'em!

Is that clear enough now to yous?

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2005 10:08 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Language, language, sir!

Maybe the issue of "supporting gay marriage" lies in the TIMING of the message, but simple support for the Charter (Canada's "Bill of Rights") is one's simple patriotic duty, without further context (unless further information is supplied). It's every bit like the occasional PSA slide that suggests that the Marines are looking for a few good men to protect our freedom, and you don't hear a lot of fuss and feathers about those!

What's the "spin" on reminding people unobtrusively that it's a good idea to support Canada's proudly-held guarantees of "Fundamental Freedoms, Democratic Rights (like the right to vote), Mobility Rights, Legal Rights, Equality Rights" and the like?

What gives idiotic, autocratic conservatives the right to put homophobic spin on it? Perhaps their fear of (and I quote the Charter's "fundamental freedoms") "freedom of conscience and religion; freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press... and freedom of association."

[Sigh...] It's always the "moral police" who want to deny everyone freedom but themselves.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-10-2005 12:36 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's still a political message even though it's by a group which claims it is a religious organization. It's goal is to affect government. It just uses a quasi-religious disguise to do it.

I am not against a (tasteful) advertisement which says, for instance:

Come to the Community Christian Church. (Or Synagogue... Or Mosque... Or Hindu shrine... Or B'Hai Temple... Or what have you.) Then, for instance, the ad might list times, dates and places to find the church.

This is plainly a religios ad but it's not political. It does not say that one should behave in a certain way, nor does it advocate that anybody petition the government to pass a law. An ad like that would not be objectionable as long as, A) It is, as I said, tasteful. And, B) any (authentic) religious group had the same opportunity to place a similar tasteful ad.

No, it is NOT that an ad contains even a hint of a religious message which makes it objectionable. It IS that an ad, under the guise of religion, beseeches the viewer to take some political action.

I'll be honest. I think that groups who pretend to be religious and who say things like, "You will behave in a certain way or else you are an "outsider" are DETESTABLE! They have no right to lay claim to the Bible.

And, if you REALLY want to lay some "smack" down idiots like that you can quote a verse from the King James Bible:

Second Epistle of Peter -- "But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again."

This was given to me by my minister when I asked her about what to do when confronted with people like that. She opened my Bible to this page and directed me to read it. Ever since then, whenever I meet a religious kook, I think about dog vomit, turn around and walk away. They would NEVER guess what I'm smiling about. [Big Grin]

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 06:33 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
I say that it's NOT okay for a theater to show ads which have a political message... AT ALL!
quote: Phil Hill
But, I also added any religious ad to the unacceptable ads.
Private company, private choice as to whether or not they're allowed to show the ads. Loss of business from a boycott might get the point across. However, keep the government out of our theatres. I mean, if they don't regulate movie ratings, why should they regulate the ads? (I'm not sure either of you meant this as a legal issue, but I just wanted to ad my thoughts in relation to government involvement.)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-10-2005 07:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"if they don't regulate movie ratings, why should they regulate the ads?"
Sorry but in canada as in most of the rest of the world they are rated by a government agency some that have the full authority to make cuts as well

When one choses to a see a movie they make a choice to see a specific movie they don't have the option of knowing what "comercials" they are to be subjected to

Personally I don't believe if I pay for a viewing of a film that I should be subjected to any advertisments

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-10-2005 07:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
Personally I don't believe if I pay for a viewing of a film that I should be subjected to any advertisments
That really is the bottom line here. I mean, how many subscribers to pay-per-view channels would keep paying every month if they had to sit through commercials? Not an awful lot. If the government steps in, they should step in with a "no advertising on ticketed shows" law.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-10-2005 07:46 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America), which assigns ratings to the vast majority of theatrical films (and trailers) released in the US market, is not a government agency. It's a privately-operated industry trade association.

Just think we should be clear about that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: