Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Trivia question - what does VHS stand for? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Trivia question - what does VHS stand for?
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-05-2005 03:53 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm convinced that it's 'Victor Helical Scan', but a friend is adamant that it's 'Video Home System'. Can anyone give a definitive answer? Cheers...

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-05-2005 04:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Video Home System' is correct.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2005 04:07 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always told that it is Video Home System.

I didn't know that JVC was Japanese Victor Corporation for many years.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-05-2005 04:58 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually you both are right. In the beginning, there was darkness. On the 7th day, JVC (Japan Victor Corporation, or more correctly: Victor Company of Japan) invented VHS which did stand for "Victor Helical Scan." It was a much simpler format as compared to the arguably better, but much more complicated/costly Sony Beta system that was based on their U-Matic format. As usual, Sony's arrogant stubbornness resulted in them losing that format war and set a precedence for other losses in format wars including SDDS.

In an effort to capture the home market away from Sony, the marketing "geniuses" at JVC marketed the system and licensed the technology to everyone under "Video Home System."

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2005 05:39 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh............................................... [Wink]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-05-2005 06:29 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just like "Digital Video Disc" became "Digital Versatile Disc" when it dawned on them that it could be used for data and audio as well.
Speaking of SDDS, I heard a few times that was originally supposed to mean "Sony Dolby Digital Sound", but Dolby decided to pursue their own project, so it became "Dynamic". But I don't know if that's true.

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2005 06:29 PM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prior to NICAM home VHS decks, VHS was referred to by many
people as "Very Hissy Sound"

Alex.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-05-2005 09:12 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very Hazy Signal.

And SDDS was Still Doesn't Do Shit.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-05-2005 11:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read that DVD now, officially, doesn't stand for anything.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-06-2005 12:18 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly it has never stood for anything.

Eric Webb
Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2005 01:20 AM      Profile for Eric Webb   Email Eric Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
VHS
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The Video Home System, better known by its acronym VHS, is a recording and playing standard for video cassette recorders (VCRs), developed by JVC (ironically, with some of its critical technology under lucrative licensing agreements with Sony) and launched in 1976. VHS officially stands for Video Home System, but it initially stood for Vertical Helical Scan, after the relative head/tape scan technique. Some early reports claim the name originally stood for Victor Helical Scan system.

VHS became a standard format for consumer recording and viewing in the 1980s after competing in a fierce format war with Sony's Betamax and, to a lesser extent, Philips' Video 2000. VHS initially offered a longer playing time than the Betamax system, and it also had the advantage of a far less complex tape transport mechanism. A VHS machine can rewind and fast forward the tape considerably faster than a Betamax VCR since it unthreads the tape from the playback heads before commencing any high-speed winding. On the other hand, Betamax offers superior picture quality. See VCR for more details.

A VHS cassette contains a 12.65 mm (approx ½-inch) wide magnetic tape wound between two spools, allowing it to be slowly passed over the various playback and recording heads of the video cassette recorder. VHS tapes have approximately 3 MHz of bandwidth, and a horizontal resolution of about 240 lines per scanline [1] The vertical resolution of VHS is determined by the TV standard — a maximum of 486 lines are visible in NTSC and a maximum of 576 lines in PAL.

Several improved versions of VHS exist, most notably S-VHS, an improved analog standard, and D-VHS, which records digital video onto a VHS form factor tape. Devices have also been invented which directly connect a personal computer to VHS tape recorders for use as a data backup device.

Another variant is VHS-C (C for compact), used in some camcorders. Since VHS-C tapes are based on the same magnetic tape as full size tapes, they can be played back in standard VHS players using an adapter. The magnetic tape on VHS-C cassettes is wound on one main spool and used a sort of a gear wheel which moves the tape forward. It can also be moved by hand and so is the spool. This development hampered the sales of the Betamax system somewhat, because the Betamax cassette geometry prevented a similar development

Thought this should be added

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-06-2005 04:44 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I have read that DVD now, officially, doesn't stand for anything.
That's because they changed the meaning (see above). Officially, it doesn't mean anything now, but it's not always been like that.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-06-2005 04:46 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks folks... I guess that means we owe each other a beer!

quote: Alexander Smith
Prior to NICAM home VHS decks, VHS was referred to by many
people as "Very Hissy Sound"

Does that mean that VHS hi-fi decks didn't exist before the NICAM digital audio broadcasting system came in? I'd have thought that before then you could have at least recorded off-air onto a VHS hi-fi track, though admittedly it would just be FM mono. Though that having been said, 99.99% of VCRs were probably linear only because there wouldn't have been any mass-market for recording stereo sound on a domestic videotape when none was being broadcast for people to record. A small minority of audio buffs might have had them to play prerecorded tapes, but that would have been about it.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2005 07:08 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HiFi Stereo VHS decks were available long before NICAM was born, Panasonic amongst others made them, mainly for the prosumer market, IIRC many were edit decks.

Somewhere in my parents loft is a pair of JVC edit VHS edit decks with controller, they are HiFi Stereo with Dolby NR. Probably quite expensive in their day, haven't been used in years!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-06-2005 10:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Video Home System, better known by its acronym VHS, is a recording and playing standard for video cassette recorders (VCRs), developed by JVC (ironically, with some of its critical technology under lucrative licensing agreements with Sony) and launched in 1976.
Eric that is absolutely correct!

quote:
but it initially stood for Vertical Helical Scan, after the relative head/tape scan technique.
The actual inventor of the VHS system was Sony but they discarded it in favor of the slightly higher quality Beta system. This resulted in many of the Sony designed VHS "pieces" needing to be licensced from Sony Corp!! When I worked at Panasonic I was lucky enough to attended the very first VHS repair seminars hend at Panasonic's headquarters in Secacus. During a brief explanation of the evolution of VHS at the seminar this was an interesting tid-bit they mentioned! The second quote is also correct as per the seminar.

BTW: The very first Panasonic machine was the PV-1000 and its model number directly reflected its price tag..... Although I'm not 100% sure I think Panasonic may have also beat JVC to the market place with home VHS machines.......

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: