Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » MPAA releases new anti-piracy tool

Author Topic: MPAA releases new anti-piracy tool
Ben Holley
Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2005 04:01 PM      Profile for Ben Holley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it seems that the MPAA has released this awesome little piece of software so parents can scan their computers to make sure that there is no pirated material\p2p programs installed. They do say however that they don't send the results of scans back and no data is collected [uhoh] . I ran this on my computer and basically all it does is flag every known program that can send files back and forth on the internet and give you a list of EVERY media file on your computer(mpeg,avi,mov,mp3 but they missed .mkv file extensions).
 -
after viewing all my pirated files, I see that the MPAA is going to get me for episodes of the mtv show Daria that dont air anymore, random WAV files on my computer, and it also appears Brad doesnt legally own the rights to The Scott Neff Experiance.

Article from Slashdot
quote:
"The MPAA have released their Parent File Scan tool, which 'helps consumers check whether their computers have peer-to-peer software and potentially infringing copies of motion pictures and other copyrighted material'. According to the MPAA, the software does not report any data back to the MPAA. However, users have noted that the software is not accurate; 'tagging' virtually every audio or video file it finds based on file extensions."
And here is a link to where you can download a copy for yourself.

I can't believe they PAID for that software [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2005 04:58 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daria comes on this channel called "the N."

It is a really lame PC teen channel, but I am addicted to this show called Degrassi which is also lame and PC.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-28-2005 04:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does not work on the Mac, so that means it is OK to pirate files, just as long as you have a Mac. It has the better video editing and compression tools anyway, perfect for pirated movies. I have never seen such a blatent endorsement of piracy via the Mac from the MPAA before now. If they didn't endorse piracy via the Mac, then surely they'd have a Mac version.

Nicholas Suchyta
Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2005 06:40 PM      Profile for Nicholas Suchyta   Email Nicholas Suchyta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen Joe!

Thomas King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2005 08:43 PM      Profile for Thomas King   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't work on Linux, either. Or Epod, Palm, (god help us) OS2/Warp, or most graphical calculators. The MPAA are a bunch of hypocrites. (When unpacking my iPod, I remember smiling wryly at the little sticker on the front that said "Please don't pirate music").

I admire their tactics, but I think they're onto a losing battle here. People will go to great lentghs to protect their ill-gotten gains. Plus, they're relying on parents understanding their kid's computers. Still, I wish them luck; it'll mean the internet is faster for *my* nefarious p2p activities.

Mike Amici
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2005 02:52 PM      Profile for Mike Amici   Email Mike Amici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Hipp
Daria comes on this channel called "the N."

It is a really lame PC teen channel, but I am addicted to this show called Degrassi which is also lame and PC.

actually, Daria was originally on mtv and until recently the shows were heavily edited for the "n" , they even blurred out 911 on the ambulience in "fizz ed"

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2005 04:34 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ben Holley
episodes of the mtv show Daria that dont air anymore
just because it doesn't air anymore doesn't mean that it isn't covered by copyright law. If you personally taped the show off of an over the air or cable broadcast, then it is okay to have it. Otherwise it is illegal.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 10:44 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Copyright law works like the drug dealer's code in that respect.

The show airs and you love it, but you never tape any episodes. Then the show goes off the air. But your friend taped every episode and is willing to give them to you but he can't.

So you're "addicted" to this show and you really want to see it! Well, haha! You must go to the DEALER and PAY them to get your fix by buying them on DVD. Now, if they're not available on DVD and they don't air anymore, effectively the copyright owner has made his own work illegal.

And what happens when anything is made illegal? You have to find ways on the underground market to get it. That's how many of us acquire all these "cool" and "rare" things we have now which, under the law, we shouldn't be legally allowed to own. Disney's "Song of the South" comes to mind.

Or what about where the original work has been altered and unavailable and now we want to view the original for "historical reasons." (not that anyone would want to do that for Star Wars, but whatever) The copyright owner has made the original versions illegal to acquire beyond a certain point. (the release of the SE) So now we must break the law if we want to view the original work. Yay, capitalism.

=TMP=

Brent Neal Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 01:18 PM      Profile for Brent Neal Jones   Email Brent Neal Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't agree more Tom. "Song of the South" is a great example. I have access to a print and cuss to this day about the stupid controversy around it...should be available everywhere in it's original cut.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2005 03:25 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but that's the copyright holders choice to make, whether to make somehting available or not, not the end users. Should I be allowed to go out and copy Filmguard and distribute it as much as I want? Wouldn't Brad be expected to protect his patent? Whats the difference between a patent and copyright? Not that I think the MPAA is going about this in the right way (they should flag all jpgs too since they could be capture stills, and text and doc files because they can contain movie scripts). It was just that the argument was made that since Daria wasn't aired anymore, it should be okay to make and distribute copies of it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: