Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Happy birthday to Charles Lane (100)

Author Topic: Happy birthday to Charles Lane (100)
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2005 10:11 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Veteran character actor ("old hatchet face" as some people have called him) turned 100 yesterday. You probably saw him in some I Love Lucy episodes or Petticoat Junction (as Homer Bedloe) or Bewitched (as numerous clients).

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-27-2005 01:09 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, [thumbsup]

Well Eddie Albert (Oliver Douglas, "Green Acres") is not to far behind him, he's only 97 years old and Frank Cady (Sam Drucker, "Green Acres") is only 90 years old.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-27-2005 03:16 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must have been the water in Hooterville was from the "Fountain of Youth". [Wink]

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2005 10:09 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Mr. Albert still tends a vegie garden in his front yard (he really did)? I remember he was quite ahead of his time, being a home-grown healthy foods guy. Doubtless contributed to his long life.

Then there's Jack LaLaine (sp?), speaking of living a healthy life, who's getting way up there too. He lives near by over in Morro Bay. Still kickin'.
[Big Grin]
Ron Yost

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2005 08:28 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know that Charles Lane has an uncredited appearance in the 1933 film, "42nd Street," as a writer at Dorothy Brock's cast party. Also, he's Mr. Simmons' attorney in "The Ghost And Mister Chicken."

Glad to know that he is still kicking.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2005 02:22 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The weird thing is that Charles Lane has *always* been 100 years old. He looks like the same old guy in every movie, whatever the decade.

"Mr. Fitzgerald is in the billiard room. He's...well, he's sleeping. You can't see him."
-- Charles Lane in It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2005 07:01 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree...Charles Lane ALWAYS looked old. He must have been first call in Hollywood for and old, crotchity guy.

This guy WORKED. IMDB shows 251 movies (from 1931 to 1995) and 88 TV shows (and I'm sure there were more!)

Turner Classic had some special event with him, probably for his birthday. He still sounds robust (and old and crotchity).

Looks like he played the role of "Clerk" frequently.

Did he ever have a leading role? Does anyone have a longer resume?

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-11-2007 03:02 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 890 days since the last post.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-11-2007 03:02 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles Lane passed away in Santa Monica, Ca. on Monday (07/09/07) at the age of 102.

RIP

01/26/1905--07/09/2007

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-11-2007 03:25 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bless his heart. What a great character actor he was! A craftsman who made his roles believable.

From SFGate.com:

There are two ways for a bit player to screw up. One way, the forgivable way, is to be inconspicuous. The other way is to act as though you're the star of the picture. Lane did neither. He simply brought truth to his brief moments on screen. With Lane, the audience understood that the reporters, clerks, salesmen and managers he played were people in the midst of their own day -- a day that just happened to intersect with the world of the movie. As such, he had no need to be especially patient or ingratiating. He was rarely nasty, but he usually seemed busy and impatient. He had something he was doing, that he wanted to do, and then Gary Cooper or Barbara Stanwyck or somebody had to come over and interrupt him.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-11-2007 11:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always enjoyed him. He made a great TV "pain in the neck" guy.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-12-2007 05:46 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Thanks for the great characters Charles.

Almost 340 roles since 1931. [thumbsup]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-12-2007 11:43 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles Lane always reminded me of the projectionist at my home town drive-in, back when I was getting into this game. Pete Butler. They could've been brothers - dead ringers. And ol' Pete was crotchety as hell. [Big Grin]

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 07:53 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim;
When I was a kid in the thirties I tried to get into the projection rooms to see what was cooking, all the booths were union then and all the operators that threw me out,every one, looked exactly like Chas Lane. I guess that was the secret of Charles success, he always looked exactly like who he was playing and the audience so related to him that they always knew him and wanted to see what he would do this time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: