Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Organ Console??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Organ Console???
Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2005 09:50 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don Furr--

If that is a console you're sitting at in your member picture how about a "little more info"; I am a pipe organ "Nut"!!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-27-2005 12:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, how bout this one.....???

-

And a compact set of 64 footers to go along with it......

-

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2005 05:02 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
64'ers? That's got to be the Atlantic City Convention Hall organ. The only other with a full length 64' is the organ at the Sydney Town Hall.

As far as consoles & oomph goes, even if it didn't have a 64' rank, I'll give it to the Chicago Stadium Barton.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2005 06:35 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Floyd.......
Yes, that's a 3 manual Reuter console that belongs to the pipe organ in my home. It's a 17 rank classical organ. Gotta have something to do in my retirement besides running movies [beer]

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2005 08:47 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After all those links I think I'm going to "cream"!
You know, Don, there's nothing like the sweet sound of
pipes. May the "wind" blow forever!

Mark: I believe your photos came from The Alantic City
Convention Center site...known as the Worlds Largest Pipe
Organ. Man that is one BIG beast!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-27-2005 11:46 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
17 ranks at home! What sort of place do you live in?

Have a look at this page:

http://www.allypallyorgan.org.uk

This was the organ in the Great Hall at Alexandra Palace, in North london. Some of the pipes in the third picture in the 1930 pictures section look about the same size as the ones in Gordon's picture, but I'm not sure if they're real pipes, or dummies. The organ was in the second building, the first one burned down almost as soon as it opened. The organ had not worked since the Second World War, but there was talk of it being restored. In 1980 Another major fire destroyed what remained of the organ. Parts of the old organ had been removed before the fire, but I'm not sure if the new organ includes any of these.

The 'Crystal Palace' in South London also contained a large organ, but this was totally lost in the fire which destroyed the building, in 1936.

In the Fairfield Concert Hall, about 2000 seats, next to the College where I work, there's a fairly small Harrison & Harrison instrument. I'm not sure how many ranks it has; I've never been in the pipe chambers. It's seldom played. There used to be a 'Fairfield Organ Festival' for a couple of days each year, but that seems to have stopped. They hold Tuesday lunchtime concerts during some months, and one or two of those each year are now about the only time the organ is used. Carlo Curley is a regular visitor, and he has also given at least two full length evening concerts with two organs, with another organist on the Harrison, and Carlo on his Allen digital touring organ.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2005 04:27 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen....
When David and I bought this house there was a requirment for a large finished basement and a large double garage. The organ is in the finished basement and the screening room took 1/2 the other side. We walled off the garage and put in the screening room. This is a standard 3/3 home...nothing huge. [beer]

Don

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2005 04:52 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing beats the sound of the organ at the old Chicago Stadium during a Blackhawks game. That place would rock!

Jeffrey Korns
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2005 05:39 PM      Profile for Jeffrey Korns   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffrey Korns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nothing beats the sound of the organ at the old Chicago Stadium during a Blackhawks game. That place would rock!
Unfortunately the only thing that survived from the organ was the console and a few ranks, much of it went up in flames while it was in storage (arson). The console is owned by Phil Maloof in Las Vegas (along with several other instruments) combined into one mega instrument. The new center's "organ" can't compete- it's an electronic with all of its speakers in a closet and the entire thing run through the house audio.

Oh,
I believe the Sioux City Orpheum just got its' organ back from the municipal hall.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-27-2005 07:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man I went to countless Blackhawks games at the old Stadium!! I never did go to the new one just out of respect for the old place which I really enjoyed going to. The old Stadium had an atmosphere all of its own and talked a language all its own just when you walked around inside it. What a great place it was! From what I've seen on TV the new place seems to be so sterile and I really have zero interest in it. IMHO..when the old Chicago Stadium came down Chicago then had no Stadium at all.

Mark
Chicago Stadium Barton Organ

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2005 08:38 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another pipe freak here.

Just now found that the Chicago Stadium organ is gone. I found a recording about 3 weeks ago of Al Melgard playing. Incredible! I'm so sorry that this organ met such an untimely end.

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2005 09:42 AM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When they would play the National Anthem at the old stadium it would litterally bring tears to your eyes. You couldn't even hear Wayne Messmer singing because the place would be going nuts. I've been to a couple of games at the new stadium and even though I love the Blackhawks it's just not the same. At least we still have Wrigley.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-13-2005 03:30 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and me at my church console.

-

...sitting att an ALLEN AP-16 console.

Plus, some other instruments of interest:

-

A concert at the Cincy train station. A recent installed 1929 Skinner 4/85 symphonic organ. There is a CD of this organ available.

-

Interesting organ in Spain. How would you like to have those "Chamade" pipes, protruding from the montre, which are above the organist, being that close to you?

-

1956 Aeolian-Skinner and pipes layout at the "Auditorium" of the Community of Christ church, in Independence, Mo.

-

The Schoenstein 5/125+ in the Conference Center in SLC, UTAH

-

the famous 1862 Cavaille-Coll "le Grande Orgue" 5/140 at St. Sulpice in Paris.

..thx-Monte

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2005 08:21 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte--

VERY interesting!

Got [Smile] any more?

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2005 08:42 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I was to aquire a pipe organ for my house, I'd have to move out just to get the organ inside!

Locally, when urban renewal took over back in the early 1980's in downtown Asheville, the last of the movie palaces in Asheville bit the dust. It was the Imperial. As they started destruction, they found a pipe organ--complete-- behind several update remodelings-- that was removed complete. It is a Wickes organ, and is installed in a small church in the area today. It has a beautiful console.

There's nothing left like this in Asheville anymore.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: