Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Snowboarding anyone? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Snowboarding anyone?
Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 01-23-2005 10:08 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you gone snowboarding or would have wanted to?

I went to Flagstaff, AZ today... "The Snow Bowl". First time snowbording [uhoh] [Roll Eyes] . Yes, it is as difficult as people say it is. I wiped out around ten times... pretty bad.(This was going down the huge hill my first time. [Eek!] When I should be learning down in the bunny slopes.) Even with a helmet and wrist-guards it was extremely painful. It did not help that the snow was hard!(melted snow, turned into ice). After going down the big slope I decided to try out the bunny slopes for the first time. That rocked my world, easy as pie and which it pretty much made my day. [Big Grin]

Here's a pic of me sitting on my lazy butt after falling, I'm about between the top and the middle of the mountain slope. I was about to take a picture of my cousin but he beat me to it and took a picture of me.

-

|  IP: Logged

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2005 10:10 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That blue is a cute color on you Jen...Of course ANY color looks good on you [Big Grin] [Wink]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2005 10:22 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried Snow Bowl with my brother one time, and that was my first time snowboarding as well. I gave up about half way down the hill and walked the rest of the way. Had a nice time in the cabin though!

Ben Holley
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2005 10:50 PM      Profile for Ben Holley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snowboarding, the one thing I miss about living in PA [Frown] ...just wait till you work your way up to the backcountry stuff, thats where its at

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-24-2005 01:16 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Greco
That blue is a cute color on you Jen...Of course ANY color looks good on you [Big Grin] [Wink]
Yes, but would you say that to a girl in real life face to face, or just over the internet? I dare you to talk to a cute girl in real life today... and hit on her!

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 01-24-2005 10:25 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been feeling the need to go skiing / snowboarding for the past few years. I just never get around to going because I'm either too poor, or I can't find people to go with me.

Also, a lot of my friends who've been going to the snow since they were kids, say that it's apparently very difficult to learn to ski or snowboard once you're an adult. Did you pick it up ok Jen?

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 01-24-2005 10:27 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I dare you to talk to a cute girl in real life today... and hit on her!

But what if she pops him? Then you would feel guilty, wouldnt you?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-24-2005 10:41 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that real snow or an artificial slope? If it's real then Arizona must get a lot colder than I imagined it would.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 01-24-2005 10:53 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, they would probably have artificial during the summer time. But as of the snow that is out there now, to my knowledge it snowed there about 3 weeks ago(elevation of over 6,000ft). It's only when you get down the middle or lower Arizona is when you can feel the real heat.

Scott, my cousin was telling me that it's pretty hard to learn at first. But very easy to master once you get a couple of days in. Roughly around a total of 5 complete days will anyone be pretty good at it. As for skiing it is easier to learn but a lot harder to actually master. As for myself, I'm definitely very sore [Frown] , my cousin was telling me I fell a lot less than he did so that was a good sign. I would do it again if given the oppurtunity. Tumbling head first is very painful I might add. My best advice is to try a slope that is not as daunting from how long it is. Or if you are really scared try the bunny slopes(the little slopes at the bottom of the big mountain). Another good idea is finding a place that has just recently snowed. Soft snow is less painful not like the icy stuff I experienced. About 2 weeks ago my cousin went up to Colorado for snowboarding when it recently snowed. He had alot more fun with that experience.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2005 03:43 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Northern Arizona is always much colder than down here in Scottsdale/Phoenix/Tempe. I remember an article some months ago about Snow bowl management saying they didn't need the artificial snow this year as weather has been great. Several years ago they were in danger of closing I believe with snow "droughts" etc.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 01-24-2005 04:37 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking up at the mountain(not even close to where the drop off was):
 -

The view not to far from the bottom of the mountain:
 -

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-24-2005 06:21 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Fuentes
But what if she pops him?
Then we would have a new thread in a few days titled " I Got Popped by a Cute Girl" and should I call her later for a date.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-25-2005 11:24 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Started snowboarding a few years back, lots of fun! [Big Grin]

Lots of snow here in Cali. lately, should make for an extended season.

Great Pics, Jennifer!! [thumbsup]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-26-2005 12:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jennifer Pan
Have any of you gone snowboarding or would have wanted to?

Nope! We've lost about a half dozen Snowboarders to avalanches this year alone. I do snowshoe though but job duties have kept me hidden away doing shop work way too much this year. So next year I'll have to catch up a bit more.

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-26-2005 03:12 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious Mark... are you insinuating that snowboarders are more likely to be avalanched than, say, skiers?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: