Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Burger King Conveyor Grill? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Burger King Conveyor Grill?
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2005 12:53 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone:

My friend just got a job at Burger King and was telling me about what she does in the kitchen. She says that the grill looks like a conveyor belt leading in and out of a metal box. She says she places the raw patties on the conveyor belt that then slide into the unit, and almost a minute later, they come out the other end where the conveyor belt is horizontal, and are completely cooked with grill marks on one side.

Do you know who manufacturers these grills and how they flame broil in an enclosed grill in under a minute?

[I know McDonald's can cook their small patties in 36 seconds in a contact grill, but the quarter pound patties take almost 2 and a half minutes in the contact grill.]

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-02-2005 01:47 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know anything about who makes them, but I wish McDonalds used them. Carl's Jr. uses them too. It's basically a metal oven with gas burners under the conveyor belt to flame-broil the meat. The burgers taste better when cooked this way (my opinion).

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-02-2005 02:03 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I betcha' it's some kind of custom device, built especially for BK restaurants. There may be other kinds of machines LIKE it but not one EXACTLY like it.

That's part of what you get when you buy a franchise restaurant... A license to buy and use equipment designed and built especially for franchisees. It's a lot like the original pressure fryers they used to use at Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurants.

When Col. Sanders was still alive and active in the company, if he didn't like they way you ran your affairs, he would take your frying equipment away. On one occasion, the legend goes, he took the fryers out into the parking lot and ran over them with his car as he drove off! (Back in those days, a pressure fryer was nothing more than a big pot with a tight lid.) Doing that would effectively put the franchisee out of business.

If you didn't know, the REAL secret to Kentucky Fried Chicken is the cooking method (pressurized deep frying) and NOT the "7 secret herbs and spices". The actual recipe is pretty well known these days. (There are NOT seven ingredients... NONE of them are classified as an herb... Only ONE of them is classified as a spice.)

Therefore, I'm sure Burker King does some similar kind of thing with their equipment and business practices.

I'm not 100% sure but that's the way I understand things.

Nowadays, you can probably by a pressure cooker a lot like the ones K.F.C. uses but probably not exactly like them.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2005 02:29 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BK grillers have four burners under the conveyor belt for the heat. Over these burners are plates that protect the burners from the fat droppings. These fat droppings hit the cover plates are flare up providing the grill taste and marks. Not sure who the mfr is. Been a while.

BTW, there is a second conveyor on the bottom of the unit that toasts the buns. You put just as many buns in as you do patties. Once they are done cooking, then they are married and placed in a lovely steam table awaiting your specific order.

(Sounds nice doesn't it)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-02-2005 03:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay i'll bite what are the secret herbs and spices
I heard once a story that the formula was changed once due to one of the ingredients was on a carciongenic list
never did get any confirmation of that

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2005 04:42 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure about Burger King, but I used to work on a corporate training team for Dairy Queen International, and we installed the NIECO brand of flame broilers in the DQ "Brazier" stores.
Neico Automatic Broilers

Big mothers, and VERY expensive, and a pain in the ass to clean.
We'd put the burger patties on conveyor on the rear of the machine, and then place the buns in a slot in the back of the machine too. The buns usually dropped out of the front first, then the patties would come out later. The burgers and grilled chicken tasted unbelievable. For volume flame-broiling.. it's the only way to go. Once the machine is setup correctly and the speed of the conveyors is adjusted properly, there's really not alot to go wrong. Because of the conveyor, every single burger comes out cooked exactly the same.

Pizza's are done the same way... minus the flame broiling marks. [Big Grin] We are considering purchasing a Lincoln Impinger Conveyor Pizza oven at our theatre, just because of the shear volume of pizza we sell.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-02-2005 05:12 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a pretzel shop at one of the malls here that uses an electric conveyor belt oven to bake the pretzels (dough they hand-twist into a pretzel shape). Like you said, once they get the timing right (by adjusting the speed of the conveyor belt), the cooking results are very consistent. Barry reminded me that one of the most popular pizza stores in Eugene, Track Town Pizza, uses a conveyor belt pizza oven. Even when they're really slammed, they can load that conveyor belt up to the max and every pizza comes out perfect. Nobody has to time anything. You just want to make sure someone is paying attention to the "finished" end.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-02-2005 05:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Four ingredients:
  • Flour.
  • Pepper. (The lone "spice" in this recipe.)
  • Salt.
  • Monosodium Glutamate. (MSG)
Could MSG be the "potentially carcinogenic ingredient" you heard about?
There's a big grocery store chain in Erie (Wegman's) that recently put in a ready-to-eat pizza shop. They installed a Lincoln Impinger pizza oven.

I had been there a couple-few times and bought some decent food but, one day, I was disappointed to find the pizza shop closed down. They had to shut down for several days because of a "major problem" with the oven but nobody would say what the "problem" was. Finally I was able to weasel it out of one of the girls.

It turns out that some butt-head set his plastic clip board down on the conveyor belt, not thinking that it would be pulled into the oven and subsequently heated to several hundred degrees Fahrenheit in a matter of a couple minutes! [Eek!]

It took them about a week to get all the melted plastic out of that thing! [Big Grin]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-02-2005 06:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Famous quote from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"

Brad: What's the secret sauce?
Dennis: Ketchup and mayonnaise....what's the secret sauce at Bronco Burger?
Brad: Thousand Island dressing.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2005 08:25 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all this great information! I find it very interesting (and that Nieco link is great!)

(Just by the way- I'm lucky to not be in the hospital tonight. One of our boarder's horses came to attack our other horse while I was trying to bring him into the corral. The gate got caught on his blankeyt and pinned him inbetween the gate end and the post. He started panicing because he was caught and because of this other horse, and he then reared, whcih got his front right hoof caught in the gate (its 2x6s in a rectangle with a 2x6 going diagonally from top to bottom- he got his hoof caught at the top end). He then twisted his leg back and reared while moving forward (he was right over me and if I didn't move 2 inches, he would have come down right on me). He snapped the post that the gate connected too but he appears to be fine. I have a huge blister on my right index finger that makes it hard to type/move, so its good that I'm left handed! Anyways, just wanted to let you know what was up without starting a new post! [Razz]

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2005 09:01 PM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The grill itself is only a small part of the total cost for these kitchens. From what iv seen the exhaust, make-up air, and fire control system will cost you far more then the grill.

If you are going to build a new hood/fire area for these I would suggest to put a drain in the floor so at the end of the night you can take the burners out and pressure wash the rest of the machine.

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2005 08:46 AM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've spent many a late hour working on the various Burger King kitchen equipments. Barry is correct. BK uses the NIECO automatic broiler. The ones overseas here are fired by LPG. There are three burner boxes on the top and three on the bottom. It may be difficult to clean for the kitchen staff but from a maintenance standpoint these things are extremely well built. I actually love working on them though it is not often. At Misawa we have the broiler turned in such a way so the customers can see the flames. The burners are infrared. The flames are from the grease dripping off the meat and onto the lower burner shields. NIECO is pretty good about going out of their way to give hands-on training too. Make sure you have plenty of hands and strong backs before trying to move one of these puppies.

There are smaller versions of the same type broiler and one that has the meat product make a U-turn and arrive at the same end as it entered. There are also some electric models which use ceramic burners but I've not had an opportunity to work on them. Both versions use tons of gas or electricity. They would not be wise for low volume stores unless you knew exactly when the volume would pick up. Pre-heating a cold broiler in the morning takes the better part of an hour.

For any of these broilers you need special heat extraction ductwork. The common stove hood just won't pass muster here. This is very important lest you burn the place down.

Burger King has picked up a good habit of investing their money in good, well engineered equipment. Anyone wishing to open such a business would do well to study their list. Good, hard working and durable equipment is expensive but it pays for itself over and over.

Our pizza restaurants all use the Lincoln Impinger ovens. Another very well made machine. The most recent models (Advantage) are easy to stock parts for and all the goodies are easy to reach. Not so some of the earlier ones of ten years ago. A 16 inch pizza only takes four and a half minutes in one of these. They are easy to clean too. The smaller ovens are sometimes used for the pretzles. Many large restaurants use these to cook/reheat entrees. Don't EVER stick your hand into the cavity of one of these babies while it is running. There is massive heat jet blasted from both directions. Like the NIECO, once you get the menu set and the chain speed determined you can make lots of money in a short time. Unlike the broiler most of the heat will stay inside an impinger while it is idle thus saving some energy or they can be throttled back for a while during expected lulls. They will heat back up pretty quick when needed in under five minutes. Whether you need a hood or not depends on the menu. Anything with meat will have the fire department checking.

Bill BuncH
Misawa, Japan

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2005 09:54 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! All this information is great!

So, can the Neico conveyor broiler have electric burners that heat the plate, causing the flame, or are they only gas?

How about the Quizno's toasting conveyor? Anyone know who makes that equipment? Subway is currently using something similar to the TurboChef C3, correct? I like the Quizno's toaster better, however because it provides a sort of 'production line'

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2005 03:58 PM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that only the smaller N824 and N850 models are offered in the electric version. Please check the Nieco website.

At one time a very large electric model was offered to BK but that may have been a special unit just for BK. We couldn't use it here because the electrical service to the building was not large enough.

You will notice on most models that the bun platen (toaster) has been eliminated. This is because newer menus require the same buns for other sandwiches as well. The broiler can't keep up in speed. So the stores go with an optional stand alone vertical toaster instead. In these, the heel and crown are toasted in about 10 seconds.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2005 09:06 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I think the Quizno's broiler is nothing more than a specialized electric conveyor broiler. The TurboChef ovens, like the ones Subway now use, rely on a combination of convection and microwave cooking to achieve both speed and that "toasted" quality.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: