Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Best Sound Mix Ever (Page 1)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Author Topic: Best Sound Mix Ever
Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2005 01:33 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, I've been in the mood for some good sound lately, and I began to wonder: what is the best sound mix ever? I could not agree on one mix, but here are a few of my tops of all time. Many of these I never heard theatrically, but I'm wondering how different they may have been.

-Jurassic Park
-Dick Tracy
-xXx
-Finding Nemo
-Saving Private Ryan
-Twister
-Mission: Impossible

AJG

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-01-2005 01:40 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fritz Lang's _M_

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2005 01:40 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rollerball (1975)

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2005 12:01 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please tell me you are joking Scott. I watched M in a theater a few months ago and I had a headache from the sound by the time the movie was over.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-01-2005 12:20 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not joking. The sound design is very impressive, especially considering that it was Lang's first sound film. It's very minimalist, yet also very powerful. The actual sound quality isn't all that great by modern standards, but the use of sound in the film is still amazing. If you got a headache from hearing it, there was something wrong with the presentation that you saw--they were probably playing the mono track in SR or some such nonsense.

Another favorite would be "The Conversation," which has a great mono track which won't blow anyone away with volume, but which is very creative in its use of sound to enhance the film. I haven't seen this (yet) in a theatre, unfortunately.

If you're more interested in something loud and less subtle, I'll suggest something more recent, like "Starship Troopers" (a personal favorite) or "Toy Story 2." I also thought that "American Beauty" sounded awesome when I saw it at the Cinerama Dome in LA (which has a good enough system to make almost anything sound great).

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2005 12:30 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Scott on American Beauty. It's very quiet, subtle, but haunting. Thomas Newman's score really helps had to that effect. I also like the track on Traffic. It didn't really mess around too much with the full 5.1 system, but it was very gritty, and real in a sense. I also liked the score on that one: very good bass notes. I remember this sounding wonderfull at our theatre when I saw it first.

AJG

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2005 12:31 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Agree Ameican Beauty is a great mix,
I also think that 'Terminator 2' is great mix, (6 track Dolby A 70mm one)
Also a less noisy film (apart from plane crash!) is 'Castaway'

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-01-2005 12:47 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Walter Murch's "Apocalypse Now" 70mm Split Surround mix is often acclaimed to be one of the greatest of all time.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-01-2005 02:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound of Music true panned dialogue

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2005 02:31 PM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never paid much attention to sound before I began working at a movie theatre, I wouldn't know if I was listening to a first-run print or a print with bad sound track damage, I just didn't care.

Since I've started at a theatre I would say The Incredibles, LOTR:ROTK, and Phantom of the Opera(whether you like alw's music or not) have all had rather impressive sound mixes.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-01-2005 03:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A few off of the top of my head in no particular order:

Moulin Rouge
Toy Story II
U-571
Terminator II (70mm mag)
The Matrix (not the sloppy sequels)
Episode II
What Lies Beneath
Detroit Rock City
The Incredibles
Contact
Die Hard (70mm mag)
The Abyss (70mm mag)
Titanic
The Faculty
Unforgiven
Extreme Measures

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2005 06:54 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best Sound/Analogue = Chicago
Followed by the depth charges in U-571

Best Digital FOTR
Second, The Incredibles

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2005 11:09 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
X-Men 2
Hellboy

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-02-2005 02:00 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some of my favorites. I apologize that most are "loud" movies, thus perhaps implying my taste in movies is a bit immature.

"American Beauty" (really great music score)
"Dark City"
"Die Hard" (blown away by 70mm show in New York)
"Heat" (best sounding street shootout ever, great plane-by effects at end)
"The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" (the sound mix is bad, but gives the film a wierd, cool quality).
"Fight Club"
"The Incredibles"
"Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" (70mm Dolby SR mag, best sound mix of trilogy)
"Jurassic Park"
"The Last of the Mohicans" (70mm Dolby mag)
"Magnolia"
"The Matrix"
"Return of the Jedi" (watched it in 70mm, turned me into a surround sound fan)
"Saving Private Ryan"
"Seven"
"Speed"
"Titanic" (70mm DTS)
"Toy Story 2"

I could add a lot more.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2005 02:23 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very suprised that no-one has mentioned AMERICAN GRAFFITTI! Lucas was able to create that wonderful surround montage that we now know as surround sound!

The re-release of The Exorist a few years ago had one of the most detailed tracks that I have ever heard!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: