Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Any Vette fans? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Any Vette fans?
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2004 12:50 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering how many Vette fans were out there? I know of a few....here is my latest!

-

Rick

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-23-2004 07:25 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure...I own an 1987 Z-51 vette...since it was new...over 170,000 miles on it now.

Been looking at the new ones a bit.

Steve

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 12-23-2004 07:37 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

My Vette. [evil] [evil]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-23-2004 07:50 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cor-vette or Che-vette, slightly different. It was surprizing that GM used the vette word on the el cheapo Chevette. Had one of the cheapos, it went 267,000 miles before a dump truck backed into it while it was parked.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2004 09:05 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
I was looking at a new one about 6 months ago. The sticker was in the mid 50's and they only offered me 3,000 for my '82. I kindly told them where to go [Big Grin]

My favorite that I had was a '67 convertable [Cool] . It was the fastest car I have driven. I also had a bright red '80 and an '86. I almost bought a '95 instead of my current '82, it was a tough decision, but I like the body style of mine better.

Rick

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-23-2004 11:20 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some sports cars make me think: "Compensating." The Corvette makes me think: "Mid-life crisis."

Here's a real Corvette:

-

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-23-2004 12:44 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or a Torumekian Corvette from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind: [Big Grin]

-

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-24-2004 10:57 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would perhaps consider buying Corvette if I had a shitload of money. As it stands, I would only spend $50,000 at this point as some kind of investment in equipment to make more money. You're not going to get paid driving around in a sports car.

FWIW, (not that very many people would care) all of the Goodyear tires sold standard with new Corvettes are made here in Lawton, OK at the world's largest tire factory. The Goodyear plant on the west side of town just finished another expansion to add on more SUV and pickup tire production lines.

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2004 08:22 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just picked up a gorgeous '92 with only 14,000 miles on it. Still has the original tires and was never driven in any inclement whether. The guy is getting a new one as he is "embarrassed" to be seen in a car that old. [Roll Eyes]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2005 06:02 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, Congratulations and merry christmas to you!! Any pics? I hope you make it through your mid life crisis! I started mine when I turned 18. 20 years and 4 Vettes later, seems like I must be very overcompensating during my crisis [Wink]

Bobby, have you shopped for new cars lately? 50 grand isn't that high of a figure if you are looking at any decent car. Luxury, sports, or SUV. Also, buying a Corvette is an investment if you treat it right! Same as a 1992 Chevy Camaro RS probably was [thumbsup]

Rick

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2005 02:21 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Admiral Semmes' Corvette, the CSS Alabama, the most successful commerce raider in history. Built in Liverpool, & comparatively much lighter & more maneuverable than GM's version.

One of the few US Civil War-era pictures that's enjoyable because the folks aren't dead, diseased, or clamped in place & grimacing for the exposure, & one of my favorite pictures, Admiral Semmes & his ride.

Admiral Semmes never had a prisoner die & lost only one crewman (an officer died in a hunting accident off the boat when his rifle misfired). After the war when amnesty was declared for combatants but hardliners were trying former CSA folks on any charge they could think of, Semmes was hauled up for "maltreatment of prisoners"; one day of testimony of ex-prisoners describing him as some sort of cross between a Saint & Walter Raleigh, & all his other ex-prisoners writing & insisting to appear as witnesses in his defense, the charges were dropped. In a war with quite an array of absolutely monstrous &/or incompetent people on both sides, Semmes is something of an amazing figure in being so admirable in his success & behavior. In modern view, the only thing really not to like is his reason for fighting with the CSA: "That's the way things have always been done, & should be maintained", which is always the worst reason for anything.

-

Admiral Semmes looking hip in his Mardi Gras beads in Mobile, AL, home of lunatic shipbuilding like the first successful submarine warship (a wild Wile E. Coyote idea which met a classic Wile E. Coyote end, even more classically Wile E. Coyote because it included explosives), concrete boats like the WWI-era Selma (scuttled in Galveston Bay), & mind-boggling production of Liberty Ships & more concrete boats in WWII.

Chistening of the ship speech at the Hunley:
"Y'all, this is CRAZY! Who wants to go?"

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-03-2005 03:02 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my 1988 vette to get even with my exwife for all the child support she tried to screw me out of.

The 1992 and the 1998 ones were just for picking up guys at the clubs... Ummm, it worked. [beer]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2005 05:37 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my first Vette when I was 18. Me and my friends gave the car a name. "Pussy Magnet" Not that I needed a car to help [Big Grin]

Rick

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-03-2005 10:55 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark DeLettera, who retired from my group at Kodak last year, owned quite a few Vettes over the years. Now living in Florida, he finally can drive them more than a few months a year. [Cool]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2005 11:13 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

They do say that 'opposites attract'.. LOL

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: