Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » My Fair Lady & the Wang

Author Topic: My Fair Lady & the Wang
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2004 07:34 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just came over from the THSA list:

quote:
Free showing of "My Fair Lady," Monday Jan. 10, 2005, 7:00pm, Wang Center (ex-Metropolitan Theatre, Music Hall), 270 Tremont St., Boston. www.wangcenter.org

THS Northeast Director Bob Stinson from Arlington MA will be there and is gauging interest in getting together with other THS members for Dutch treat dinner before the show. Contact him at mastbaum1929@hotmail.com or
801/391-8381.

Boston-area folks can go out & critically appraise the whole shebang. Crash the THSA dinner, they'll likely be looking for more folks to split the tip.

Find your way around the theater with this handy guide.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-03-2004 11:08 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 70mm or not? Eliza deserves at least that much of a bang from your Wang.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-03-2004 11:26 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing on the site is that the running time is TBD.

70MM is the only way to see it. But the last time I saw it in 35mm was at the Art-Deco Paramount Theatre in Oakland, California. A classic showing a classic. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2004 01:27 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that in 70mm at Graumans Egyptian few years back, someone who worked on the restoration was there talking. Anyway, it had several black lines!!

I showed an original IBtech print in 35mm a few months back; I expected a newer print, it was a happy surprise. Looked pretty nice for its age.

btw... this thread tricked me.. i thought it was going to be about a double feature with "MFL" and Phil's fave movie, "flesh gordon". [Wink]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-03-2004 01:40 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully it will be in 70mm. I've only seen the film twice, both times in 70mm. Coolidge Corner had a near-mint 70mm print of it from Kit Parker in the late '90s (1997?) and the Senator in Baltimore showed a very nice-looking (but different) 70mm print in the spring of 2000. I don't think I really want to see it in 35mm.

As far as I know, there have been no public screenings of anything in 70mm in the Boston area since I ran three 70mm prints (Ghostbusters, the Abyss, and Starman) in a hotel ballroom at a sci-fi convention back in early September.

Cinestudio in Hartford, CT. has a 70mm engagement of Baraka coming up in a week or two, although it's somewhat questionable whether or not Hartford qualifies as being in the "Boston area" or not (it's 90 minutes away by car).

Edit: I should add here that the Wang always puts on a good show (though they weren't using the curtain for Ben-Hur...shame! shame!) and that anyone in the area should try to check out their film series. Unfortunately, the people who answer the phones there do not seem to know much about film, and questions like "is it 70mm" seem to be met with the aural equivalent of a blank stare. Fortunately, whoever does their booking does seem to be clueful and they do seem to get very nice prints.

Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2004 12:47 AM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever since the Wang's film series became sponsored and free, they haven't shown 70mm because of the additional expense. Not for West Side Story or Ben-Hur, not to mention a blowup like Bridge on the River Kwai.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2004 02:04 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please send me info about all 70mm screenings you know about and I will add them to the list

Cheers, Thomas
www.in70mm.com

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 01-10-2005 05:49 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This wasn't 70mm. It wasn't 35mm, either. It was cancelled for reasons unknown (or, at least, unannounced). [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-10-2005 08:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I know why Michael Schaffer was confused about Mad Mad World and why we all like that film so dam much.... In Germany all they show in 70mm are very serious, old, boring, faded Russian film... "Liberation" ("The Great Battle"). Now there are umpteen showings of that film scheduled on Thomas's 70mm web site but nothing else..... and nothing else even remotely funny. Thats way to dam serious of a film to be showing... they need to lighten up a bit and show something umpteen times that would make the German population laugh!!

Mark

Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2005 09:10 AM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas: Upcoming in Gothenburg is El Cid on 12/4 through Swedish film institutes Cinematek (www.sfi.se). It´s at Draken so I´m sure Ari will be showing it?? Maybe I can come by and say Hi??

I´m going to see it, but I have no idea how much I´ll laugh. I´m not sure it´s a comedy as such...

//Gunnar

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 02:47 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
This wasn't 70mm. It wasn't 35mm, either. It was cancelled for reasons unknown (or, at least, unannounced). [Razz]
Was there any more info on what happened?
[dlp] broke?

I see the Wang has more movies on Mondays.

Shakespeare in Love, Dirty Dancing, Guys & Dolls; are these 35mm, or something else?

Great lordamighty, we lose Stroheim's original cut of Greed, but Dirty Dancing survives.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 02-14-2005 07:55 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All films are 35mm. They have run 70mm in the past, but not recently. They do this film series every year, although the titles are usually better than the ones scheduled for this year. Lately, admission has been free and the series has been sponsored by some business or another.

They put on a nice show at the Wang and the venue is beautiful. I don't know what went wrong with the MFL screening.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-14-2005 01:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okey - have to brag here: I ran the re-release of MFL back in 1971 in a "second-run" house (at that time, no discount, "buck" houses).

It was a new IB 35mm optical print, 10 reels long, shown through a pair of Simplex E-7's, Strong Mogul lamps running 9mm carbons, soundheads being the old fabric belt driven Western Electric 206 soundheads that had no scanner drum, just a "soundgate" where the film slid through, big ol' photocell of the size of a baseball, and to top it off - Pantar Anamorphics for Scope lenses (had to change out the backups first, then hang on the Pantars..)

Two years later, that house burnt down to the ground, having wood floors and a sputtery coal furnace. Everything was destroyed in that theatre - and the theatre JUST changed over to 6k reels, xenon, and with a goofy sort of automation/changeover type.

I was booted out of that theatre when the conversion came to being. Yet, I had to laugh when that house went down, for after booting me out, their operations went downhill, big time. Thus the attendence went down as well.

It was said the fire was caused by the furnace being not up to code. We knew it was arson, but could never prove it.

MFL looked beautiful on that theatre's big screen, which was a 16'/38' screen. Why the big screen for this theatre also had Motiongraph magnetic sound, for I found the mag penthouses.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: