Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Early colour photographs

Author Topic: Early colour photographs
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-12-2004 01:08 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an interesting post from Martin Hart on rec.arts.movies.tech about some early colour photographs.

If you cannot read the newsgroups, here are two links from the post:

Site with images

Library of Congress site with information about the pictures

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-12-2004 01:44 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen that website and amazing photos before. Somehow, color makes the past so much more "real" than the B&W images we are more used to. The KODACHROME movies from WWII, sometimes broadcast on "The History Channel" are likewise unexpectedly stunning.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-12-2004 04:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I had posted a link to that site here a couple of years ago. Those photos are really amazing! I'm surprised that no US photographers ever attempted a similar thing.....

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-12-2004 06:01 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that there were photographers in the US, and in many other places, doing the same thing; I've certainly seen other colour photographs from this period, but they weren't of this quality.

I don't know if the photographer ever printed any of these images in colour, the only prints I could see on either of the web sites were in black and white. Projecton of three plates with a tri-unial lantern is not ideal, you can never get perfect registration of the images. I did try doing this myself when I was at college, in the '70s. I also tried making prints from separation negatives on chromogenic colour paper, Ektacolour 37 RC I seem to remember. I got some results that weren't bad, but it took a lot of fiddling around with colour correction masks. It's a lot easier to do it now by just tweaking the curves in Photoshop. I never tried dye-transfer printing. There are a few people still doing this today. Just this morning I received an e-mail newsletter from Ctein. He has a web site here As well as making dye-transfer prints, he is also involved in digital techniques.

There has been renewed interest in the so-called 'alternative processes' in recent years. There are several shops in London which sell materials for these; something that would have been unthinkable a few years ago. There are probably more photographic techniques being used today than ever before.

There are even people making Lippmann photographs, which has got to be just about the rarest, and most unlikely sounding, colour processes ever iinvented. There's a description of it here and, amasingly, it really did work. I'd love to see a good example of it, the only one I've ever seen was a small piece of a broken plate, and that was badly water damaged.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-12-2004 06:55 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love ancient color. I agree with you, John, about the WWII Kodachrome, much of which was shot by George Stevens the film director who was shooting his own 16mm color footage while shooting official Army 35mm B&W. The collection was discovered by his son after his death. But hey, the Agfacolor of Hitler & Eva Braun at Berchdesgaden is pretty cool too!

The Russian pictures I am familiar with from a wonderful book called Photographs for the Tsar: The pioneering color photography of Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii commissioned by Tsar Nicholas II from 1980. Out of print now, I believe, but in many libraries.

Let us also not forget the Lumière Brothers' Autochrome color plates which autochrome.com covers nicely.

Amazing, isn't it? And we always thought olden times were B&W.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2004 09:38 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be cool to see "then and now" comparison pictures of these photos since they're in color. I always like those kinds of photos to see development of land, buildings whatnot.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-12-2004 09:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Heenan
I always like those kinds of photos to see development of land, buildings whatnot.

Mike,
I read somewhere that absolutely nothing in those Russian photos has changed one iota since they were taken....

Mark

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2004 10:22 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh really? That's kind of interesting. Guess they must have been in small towns, etc.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-13-2004 03:21 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's thirty years since I was there, but at that time Leningrad and Moscow were both pretty modern cities, though there were plenty of older, tradtional buildings. If you went a fairly short distance outside, maybe 50km, little seemed to have changed from the time of the photographs. In Moscow there was a fair amount of development going on, some of it rather dull blocks of flats, not that different from what was being built in London in the '60s, but there were also new 'public' buildings, theatres, libraries etc, whiich seemed to be of better quality. Transport, at least within the cities was well developed, the airports that we used were similar to those in England at the time, buses and trams were frequent and reliable, but not as comfortable as the routemaster buses that we had in London at the time. The RMs were between six and twenty years old at the time, and a few of them are still in service today. The Metro was better than the London Underground, cheaper, certainly much cleaner, though a much smaller system.

Russian technology was certainly advanced in some areas; I think the difference in a Communist system is that the prioritiies are different. Defence was seen as important, as was anything that would bring prestege to the state in the eyes of the World, e.g. getting the first man into space.

The indivdual seemed to have what they *needed* in order to play their part in the state, healthcare was good, I had a minor accident while I was there, and needed the serviices of a Doctor. People may not have had what they *wanted* however. There was plenty of food in the shops, people were not going to go hungry, but the choice was limited, one day there might be plenty of fruit, but no cheese, the next there might be cheese, but no tea.

If a Russian woman needed a new dress she would be able to find one that would fit her, it would be cheap, it would be of reasonable quality, but it would probably be the same as the one that her mother had bought in the '50s, and probably the same as the one that her grandmother had bought in the '30s. It's a dress, it's about the right size, it will do the job. It doesn't matter what colour it is, it certainly doesn't need to be the latest fashion, those things were not important to the State. I don't really think there was a sense of fashion, except maybe in the teenagers, I don't think wearing clothes that hadn't changed in style in decades would be seen as a problem by most people.

There was a lot of queueing; in most shops you had to queqe three times. You would queue to ask for what you wanted, and get a bill for it, then you would go to the cashier, and queue to pay for it and get a receipt, then you would go back to the counter and queue to collect it. I really hated this; there were very few shops iin London where you still had to do this at that time, and the queues were much shorter here. I remember goiing into a bookshop to buy a map. It was a large, modern shop, well stocked, they had just the map I needed, the staff were helpful, but it took over an hour of queueing to get it. The Russian people didn't seem to mind this, or to fnd it odd; I suppose it's a question of what you're used to.

I love the photo of the old fellow, a ferryman I think, at the bottom of the LOC page. Isn't he great? And the strange colours on the water, coused by movement between the three exposures. He must have be born in about 1830.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: