Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Suggestions for how to spend a Sunday in Minneapolis? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Suggestions for how to spend a Sunday in Minneapolis?
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-01-2004 01:58 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next week I'm off to the Association of Moving Image Archivists' annual conference in Minneapolis. It ends on the Saturday night (13th), and my flight home doesn't leave until 6.45pm the following day (check-in at MSP by 4.45pm). So that leaves me with a morning and early afternoon in which to explore the city. Any suggestions as to where to go and what to see? And will any other Film-Techers be coming to AMIA this year?

Many thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-01-2004 02:18 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, I will not be going to the AMIA conference this year. Maybe next year, when Kodak is invited to present the Film Technology Workshop again like last year in Vancouver.

I assume the Mall of America is one of the big attractions --- I think several here on Film-Tech work there.

http://minneapolis.about.com/library/weekly/aamplsfacts.htm

quote:
Minneapolis is first in the nation in literacy and second in per capita theaters. It is also known for its orchestra, art museums, and the sculpture garden with the cherry spoon near Loring Park and the Walker Art Center.
Minneapolis is on the Mississippi River where you will find riverboats to ride on and by its banks, interesting walks. Minneapolis is also home to professional sports teams and many restaurants and bars with musical entertainment.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-01-2004 03:46 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link and hope to see you at AMIA '05.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2004 04:11 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest seeing the Mall of America if you haven't before. The mall will keep you entertained for the afternoon at least.

In Minneapolis you have the Walker Art Center & the Sculpture Gardens. Nicollet Mall is a some-what entertaining street downtown to do some shopping or browsing.

If you could get to St. Paul, the Science Museum is quite cool.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2004 04:42 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, I will be attending the conference this year, and i look forward to meeting you. the mall of America is a sight to see, especially for the strange and frightening people watching that can be done, but it is a mall. Unfortunately, the Walker Art Center is closed for expansion, but the sculpture garden is great if the weather is cooperating. However, if you enjoy art and architcture, I would recommend the Gehry designed Weisman Art Museum on the University of Minnesota Campus or the Minneapolis Institute of Arts .

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2004 05:41 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you oughta drive down I-35 and see a film at the Lakeville Theatre [Big Grin]

The nightlife around first avenue in Minneapolis is always fun. Check out the shops in Uptown Minneapolis, too. All up Hennepin Ave. & Lyndale Ave. there's coffeehouses and quaint little stores, as well as some chains. It gets packed with yuppies on the weekends, though. St. Anthony Main is another cool spot for stores and bars. The Walker Art Center has the "legendary" cherry and spoon sculpture that is supposedly iconic for the Twin Cities, as well as a bunch of other art. Head to the Electric Fetus if you wanna check out a cool record & old hippie store.

But I second that call on the Institute of Art. Free Parking & admission, and huge galleries.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2004 06:42 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest seeing a movie at the Heights.

http://www.heightstheater.com

http://www.startribune.com/viewers/story.php?template=print_a&story=1648251

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2004 07:07 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael's right, the Heights is pretty cool. I believe they've got a recently restored Wurlitzer organ, too.

The Uptown theater at Lake & Hennepin is the last theater in town with a balcony as part of the main auditorium. Expensive tickets, but cool motiff.

Just avoid Ikea. [Razz]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-01-2004 10:42 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly catch a live broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion? There's a live broadcast performance scheduled for the 13th.

A Prairie Home Companion

Tickets & Schedule for the Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-02-2004 03:58 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for all your suggestions. Joe - look forward to seeing you next week, assuming I survive the trip in Northwest's 'Douglas Death Tube' (with apologies to Daryl). Michael - I can go one better than seeing a picture at The Heights - we're actually going to be showing one there, as part of the AMIA screening night next Saturday (where about 20 member archives are given 'six minutes of fame' to show off a highlight from their collection). I'll print off some of the links on this thread and have a read on the plane. Thanks again.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-02-2004 04:23 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're flying Northwest! You just cut your chance of survival (50% in the DDT) in half (now 25%). It was nice knowing you Dr. Enticknap! j/k [Big Grin]

What flight are you taking? I could make a call to your plane as it flies by me. [evil]
The range on my handheld ICOM is amazing.

Paul Mayer

- posted 11-02-2004 11:17 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or better your chances yet again Leo and skip MSP altogether for LAS instead. Bring the convention with you! We have new non-stop Manchester to Las Vegas service now on BMI. Though it is trading one poison for another on the equipment I suppose, swapping out a DDT (all the way from the UK?) for a Toulouse Tree Trimmer, aka Scarebus. [Big Grin]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-02-2004 02:00 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's Northwest flight 55 from Amsterdam next Tuesday afternoon - and according to NWA's website it is indeed a McDonnell Deathtrap (or should that be an 'Ermenonville Eraser'?). Even more fun will be the KLM Shittyhopper connection from Newcastle to join it. Last year it was a very unloved-looking Fokker F27. Now I know why the ticket was such good value!

That Manchester to Las Vegas flight sounds very tempting given the howling winds and sheeting rain in Yorkshire recently. [Cool]

Paul Mayer

- posted 11-02-2004 07:46 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, NWA55 AMS (Schiphol--Dutch for "grave of ships" [Razz] ) to MSP on a DC-10 (more than likely a Death Cruiser 10 series 40 with P&W engines). Not to worry Leo, only a few of those have come apart mid-flight over the years. [evil]

Look at it this way, at least you're not on a DDT (aka Long Beach Death Tube or Cajun Clipper) or MD-11 (aka More Death 2 or Scud since once you launch it you don't know where it will come down). Happy flying! [Big Grin]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-03-2004 01:13 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Mayer
DC-10 (more than likely a Death Cruiser 10 series 40 with P&W engines). Not to worry Leo, only a few of those have come apart mid-flight over the years.

Unfortunately, a good friend and fellow Kodak motion-picture engineer was killed in the crash of American Airlines Flight 191 (DC-10 Series 10) at Chicago O'Hare Airport on May 25, 1979:

http://www.airdisaster.com/special/special-aa191.shtml

quote:
May 25, 1979 remains the darkest day in American aviation. On that Friday before the Memorial Day Weekend, 270 passengers and crew aboard American Airlines Flight 191 lost their lives when their airplane literally fell out of the sky. To this day, the accident is the most deadly commercial airline crash in United States history. Here is the story of what happened on that blusterry Spring day in 1979.

He was flying back to Los Angeles after meetings in Rochester. I last saw him the morning before he died, as he left to catch his plane to Chicago. [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: