Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Ashlee Simpson Screws Up on SNL (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ashlee Simpson Screws Up on SNL
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-24-2004 04:29 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I happened to be watching SNL (yes I know, I suck ass) when Ashlee Simpson came on for her second "performance". She started doing a jiggy move or something and that's when I muted the TV and walked away, figuring I couldn't care less about Ashlee freakin' Simpson. But what happened in my absence was the following:

Download this video
WMV - 2.89MB

Not only did she do a Milli Vanilli, she completely walked off stage. As the show ended, she came up on stage and blamed her band for "playing the wrong song", which explains why she looked so confused. At that time I wished I had stayed so I could have been entertained by her misfortune. I also walked away during the SuperBowl halftime show earlier this year when Janet exposed her mutilated boobie. Why does all the unintended hilarity happen when it's supposed to be mediocre?

All I know is that if I was Ashlee Simpson, I'd have a hell of a time living this down and probably wouldn't be able to sleep for hours! Maybe days!

Also, it should be noted that I did not make this video because:
#1) I do not make a habit of recording Saturday Night Live
#2) I am a Quicktime guy, cuz Quicktime kicks ass.

Enjoy.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-24-2004 05:05 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went out to see a midnight show of Edward Scizorhands tonight. I set my VCR to tape SNL, as I have in weeks past, and the dang power goes out while i'm gone!

That little "dance" she keeps doing is hysterical!

Now that I've watched it twice, I noticed her vocal track coming in and out, proving that she lip-syncs!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-24-2004 02:15 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who the heck's Ashlee Simpson? Homer's kid? Never heard of her.

[EDIT]: I watched the video... I guess that's what you get when you let a kid do an adult's job. She said the band played the wrong song? So? She doesn't know her own songs enough to recover and go with it!? Little flitty, self-centered kids, who have not the wherewithal to be in show business!

Geez, they'll put a camera in front of anybody these days! (Long as they show their ass, I guess.) [bs] [Roll Eyes]

Greg Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2004 02:33 PM      Profile for Greg Davis   Email Greg Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The band played the wrong song, eh? well lets look at this Ashlee (with 2 e's): They played A song. THey didnt care. they got the chance to play for millions of people on SNL and looked like they knew what they were doing. I have respect for those guys for putting up with Ashleeeeeee and god knows what else she blames them for. Nice seeing pop getting blown to bits.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 10-24-2004 04:06 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a huge fan of Ashlee Simpson (or her sister for that matter) but I like that song! The one they were "supposed" to play. [Wink]

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-24-2004 04:21 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mike, sounds like they put a vocal track in there. Lip syncing if you ask me. Whichever song she was going to "sing" that style of dancing would not go with any of her songs.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2004 04:45 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never watched Saturday Night Live since it's tape-delayed here on the West Coast, but the East Coast people get to see it live. I think that's discrimination. There was one time when someone got away with saying a naughty word on the live broadcast, but it was cut out by the time the tape-delayed show aired over here.
I don't get why a comedy show keeps having people on who aren't funny- Ashleeey Simpson is just one example. I caught the show several years ago (only because I was rewinding a tape at the time) when they had Vanilla Ice on as a "musical guest"- I think that speaks for itself.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-24-2004 04:46 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I watched it again and read the press story. To be fair, the playback was evidently the same song she'd done earlier in the show. So I imagine she was probably waiting to see if the mistake would be fixed, and didn't know what to do with herself when it wasn't.

Yes, it is lip sync, as most of these shows are... you can hear them potting her voice track down when she didn't jump in. Then, they just let it play minus vocals, until they decided to go to finally go to a break.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2004 05:39 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who would be really at fault here, doesn't the SNL audio crew control the mixing board? Perhaps one of them forgot to put the tape of the new song in?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-24-2004 06:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I'm starting to think, especially after hearing it was the same song as earlier in the broadcast (I wouldn't know). I honestly doubt that too many people perform "live" in the truest sense of the word on TV, especially SNL. Any "performer" like Britney Spears or Janet Jackson who wear headset mics and the entire song is composed of them gyrating around "seductively" (I love quotation marks) are obviously lip syncing the entire time. They get their voices "down, smooth, and dirty" or whatnot all the while jumping around like a madman. I think you'd be able to hear that in their voices.

Lip Syncing is the mark of a truly crappy artist, in my awesome opinion.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-24-2004 06:50 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not too surprised by this occurence. Granted, it is extremely lame.

But much of the music industry these days is extremely lame. The corporations only care how the "artists" look, not the quality of their songs. Bravo to that NY attorney for launching a criminal probe into the music industry and its current method of payola: paying "consultants" who then pay radio stations to play certain songs.

Also, I was told Ashlee Simpson's sister, Jessica, thought Chicken of the Sea canned tuna actually had chicken in it. I would expect any blood relative of someone that stupid to lip sync.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-24-2004 09:39 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It took me a few moments to figure that out too. When I came to the US last year, I had never heard of "Chicken of the Sea". At first it confused me when I encountered it at Vons ("Vons!!Giving our best..."). Is it some kind of weird seafood-and-chicken mix? Are there sea chicken? But then I used my reading skills and deciphered the message on the can. In the end, I decided against it, even though I could have saved 50c if I had taken two.
If tuna is the chicken of the sea, do they also have spicy tuna wings?

Another mystery of the US food industry I haven't solved yet: why do they call these hot dog places "WienerSchnitzel"? Because a Wiener Schnitzel is a Vienna-style pork chop in batter, not a hot dog.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-24-2004 10:15 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
why do they call these hot dog places "WienerSchnitzel"? Because a Wiener Schnitzel is a Vienna-style pork chop in batter, not a hot dog.
Because we stupid Americans don't know any better... [Big Grin] Plus it *is* kind of a catchy name [Smile] I prefer Jagerschnitzel myself.. yummy [Smile]

What Michel is referring to, for those who were curious...

-Aaron

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-24-2004 10:34 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least the Wiener part makes some kind of sense, because a pork sausage is indeed called "Wiener Würstchen" (Viennese small sausage) but in some places also "Frankfurter". One bit of interesting trivia is that in Vienna, they don't cut the bun open and put the sausage in the middle, they take a long tubular bun, cut one end off, then impale the bun on a metal spike to make it hollow, insert the sausage and condiments and put the end piece back on like a lid.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2004 02:39 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I surprised she was lip synching? No.
What troubles me are the following
1) She blames the band. Bitch. Maybe she should have used a Milli Vanilli title and blame it on the rain.
2) She has gone on record in the past as being this "rock" singer who is anti lip synching.
3) Acid Reflux disease my ass. I think an onset of diarrhea is more credible explanation for her dance than acid reflux for her throat. How convenient.
4) The thing that outrages me is how Lorne Michaels and his henchmen also played a part in covering up for her. They should have let the cameras linger more and give us some live drama for a live show. THey edited out the vocal track or toned it down supposedly on the west coast.
Tina Fey snarks on everyone. BUt she hugs Ashley like what happened was perfectly acceptable. Is she willing to do a mean joke about her own show next week?
Lorne Michaels likes to portray his show as this edgy thing when in reality he is a control freak who likes to have everything go as planned. Lorne didn't show Sinead any support and her act of tearing the pope picture was great live drama and didn't detract from her vocal talent.

5) Even now, Lorne Michaels was using the bogus backing track excuse. I believe she was lip synching all the way. They might have left her mike on for a few seconds.

I loved the look her bandmates gave each other when she walked off. A mixtures of smirks and sheepish embarassment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: