Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I dreamed of Brad Miller last night. :eek:

Author Topic: I dreamed of Brad Miller last night. :eek:
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-20-2004 02:24 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been debating about whether to post this cause it's a little weird. But since it's all strictly business and nothing kinky happened, I'll go ahead and share it. [Wink]

Like many dreams, the details of this one are a little fuzzy. But it in was in some kind of a large auditorium with a temp projection system in the middle and & a large screen at one end of the room. I don't know what the movie was or why we were there, but the film was a combination of 70mm, 35mm, and 16mm, all spliced together and running off a platter, and Brad had been brought in to make the thing work. There was no screening or other trial run, he had to figure out a way to run it, uninterrupted, through a single projector, with no advance prep. And it was working. He had to tend to the thing constantly, twiddling this and adjusting that, to keep it going. But something went wrong and the projector started eating film and spilling it on the floor. Brad was working frantically to try and keep the show on the screen but he never lost his cool. He did tell us to keep out of his way though -- he was all business. Then the projector seized up or something and the film stopped and of course started burning. At that point, Brad just shrugged and everyone was just standing there looking at this mess. End of dream.

What does it mean? I have no freaking idea. [uhoh]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-20-2004 02:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mixing 16mm and 70mm? That's a sin. Besides, I would've set up 3 projectors and had it all pre-configured via a CA21 while I kicked back in a chair and watched the show.

You must've been thinking of Steve Guttag.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-20-2004 02:58 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
David... consider yourself lucky. Whenever I've dreamt about Brad, it was ALWAYS a nightmare.

>>> Phil

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2004 04:14 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

Your not really in trouble until a moderator comes and locks your dream.

[sleep] Mitchell

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-20-2004 04:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16, 35 and 70mm...no problem....come on out to the AFI/Silver. They can run all of that pretty easy in one show

Then again, the Senator in Baltimore is more along Brad's feeble mindset...three projectors, Bauer Selecton for 16mm, Simplex XL for 35mm and Bauer U2 for 70mm with a Christie AW3 platter for 35 and 70mm.

Steve

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2004 07:44 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had dreams about FT, but plenty of dreams about work. My favorite was one where I got stuck in the elevator, and it fell and came back up many times (breaking my legs in the process). When I was in the hospital, my GM came in with a free popcorn pass so I wouldn't sue them....yes, that's exactly how it seems there.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-20-2004 07:54 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some experience with decoding dreams. As a former inmate at the Utah State Mental Hospital, I got lots of dream interpretations...

yours go something like this...

The mixture of film sizes deals with an uncertainty or fear of the future of film itself. With the impending doom of digital projection the future of film is in danger.

The fact that brad was running it has to do with that you see him as somewhat of an authority figure. Someone to turn to when you feel that all is lost, and hope that he can guide you the right way.

With the film going haywire and eventually burning up and Brad shrugging it off, well that deals with the final realization that you fear that film is going to die, and not even the most knowledgeable of us can stop it. The one you trust to save the day, in this case, and for some strange reason, Brad, cannot even stop it.

So many people want to dump film for digital, all brought on by uncle George. Thats Lucas of course. People will listen to and watch the tripe he spews about how digital is better than film, but no one listens to the people that know.

Maybe this dream of yours is a rallying cry from your subconscience telling you to do something about it. Maybe hire the deadly viper assassination squad to take care of uncle george maybe?

Did I say inmate? I meant involuntary patient program participant...

Ciao

Dave

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 10-20-2004 08:48 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....or maybe he secretly loves Brad. [Wink] [evil]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-20-2004 09:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we first automated the projection booth (1980) I had a dream that I drove by the theatre late and night and saw flames shooting out the booth windows. I think the dream might have been caused by the fact that the electrician who wired it in was getting drunk every night he was in town.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2004 07:33 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont dream about Brad even in the daytime.

Well, not much...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: