Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Sony Unveils New Self-Destructive DVD player (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sony Unveils New Self-Destructive DVD player
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-19-2004 06:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Valenti's wet dream

quote:
Sony Unveils New Self-Destructive
DVD Player
By Brian Briggs and Christa Morse

Tokyo - Many industry analysts have wondered which way Sony would go in the copyright protection debate. Sony manufactures both hardware, which is harmed by piracy controls, and entertainment, which is helped by piracy controls. A recent release of a self-destructive DVD player shows that the entertainment division is winning that internal argument.

"Copy protection has been foiled too easily by pirates, and we need to do something more effective," said Sony Entertainment vice-president Harold Wang. "Self-destructive DVDs have been tried, but rejected by consumers. We feel that consumers will embrace the self-destructive DVD players, because it gives them that Mission Impossible I've-got-the-latest-gadget feeling. We even have the player say 'This DVD player will self-destruct in 10 seconds.'"

-
"Large amounts of pirated material were hopefully destroyed in the blaze," said MPAA officials.

Wang addressed the safety concerns of destroying a DVD player: "Sure there are safety issues, but most homes are equipped with smoke detectors these days, and are chock full of pirated material which would be destroyed in the blaze. OK, their house might burn down, but isn't that a small price to pay to combat piracy?"

Instead of the standard low-powered laser most DVD players are equipped with, the SD-DVD player from Sony has a high-powered laser which will eventually burn through the DVD and ignite the highly flammable material from which the player is made.

Other DVD player manufacturers such as Panasonic and Hitachi also announced self-destructive player. "I've seen the Sony model and it slowly catches flame and burns up. Our model is fitted with a small amount of plastic explosives which causes a much more dramatic destruction. Consumers will feel like they're in the movie when that thing goes off," said Ronald Misuki of Panasonic.

Hollywood applauds the move. Chairman of the MPAA Jack Valenti said, "Not having a DVD player makes it absolutely impossible to view pirated content, which makes copying a DVD entirely useless. Granted, it also makes watching the damn thing impossible, but we don't care if you can't see the content, just as long as you buy brand new, legitimate copies from your local or online store."

DVD rental chains Blockbuster and Hollywood video expect to reap a large benefit from consumers who forget to eject a DVD before the player self-destructs.

Other important news articles about our industry can be found here.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2004 06:22 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not going to even click on that link to confirm if the article is a spoof or not. [Smile]

If it is a spoof, that's a well-written article.

If it's real, Sony must have beta tested the self-destruct circuit in the SDDS 2K units [Roll Eyes]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-19-2004 06:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you click the link you get the same thing that Brad has posted here. I think Sony and the MPAA have gone too far this time. I know that Valenti wants to destroy and murder pirates, but what happens if someone who isn't a pirate buys one of these players? I think it's overly destructive and just plain rude. Perhaps Valenti rationalizes that everyone simply must be a pirate. Or else why would they have VCRs and other electronics? Recording on a VCR is piracy. Valenti likes to murder people.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-19-2004 06:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone is a pirate Joe. Jackeypoo says so. [Razz]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-19-2004 06:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That article could have come from The Onion if it was funnier.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-19-2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet Valenti is a pirate as well. Anyone who has EVER recorded ANYTHING on a VCR is a pirate. That is an absolute FACT!!! This simply cannot be argued with. And all piracy is PURE EVIL!!! Another fact that CANNOT be argued with! People who record things on camcorders and even film cameras are pirating real life. Taking photographs is also pirating real life. Kodak is a gigantic corporation who is profiting on piracy.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-19-2004 07:10 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh Joe, reading your last post... I have just one question: Are you on dope? [Razz] [Wink] [evil]

>>> Phil

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-19-2004 07:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Naw, cocaine. Why?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-19-2004 07:16 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! Coke is best! Pepsi sux! [Wink]

>>> Phil

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-19-2004 07:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like Joe is campaigning for Valenti's replacement. With that kind of attitude, he just might get it.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-19-2004 07:57 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, I concur with all of the statements you made above.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 10-19-2004 08:13 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, why did you call me a pirate?? I take that as a personal insult, and I demand that you ban yourself for breaking the rules!! [Mad] [Mad] [evil]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2004 08:55 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just have undercover FBI agents working the booths at the flea markets where bootlegs are sold and shoot people trying to by them on site? Wouldn't that be easier?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-19-2004 09:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What we really NEED are 2 or 3 FBI agents standing by each projector in every theater across the country since all projectionists and theater staff pirate movies. We should also force the audience to watch all movies naked so they can't sneak in camcorders.

I agree with Chris that people should be shot. Piracy is WORSE than murdering children! I am overwhelmed by emotion when I think about all of the profits the rich studios are losing due to piracy. Sure, they make multiple billions each year in profit, but they deserve oh so much more!!!!!!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-20-2004 02:30 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The application of the so called "science" of photography has been demonstrated to steal the souls of living beings. This has been documented in many third world countries and societies. As such, photography must be declared a crime against humanity. Any entity which promotes or advocates the practice of photography must be rounded up. It would be very easy to do. There would be no need to waste time with trials. Automatic death sentences--plenty of trees and rope available! We could make Rochester glow for 10,000 years!

Death to the Great Yellow Father!

Pytlak, we're coming for you!

I'm Paul Mayer and I approved this call to action.
Paid for by the committee to appoint Paul Mayer as Lord High Executioner of the MPAA.
And God King for life.

Time for bed. Got students to torture in the morning...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: