Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Moving to Nebraska

Author Topic: Moving to Nebraska
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2004 01:11 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After many months of waiting, I have finally spent my first official weekend and first day at the "office" here in Omaha. I have been in China for a few months for an install, and my wife had already moved here 3 months ago while I was gone. Before any of the hurricanes hit, we decided that we needed a change in the weather. Who needs sunshine everyday when you can have snowy subzero temperatures [Smile] Actually I decided to move when the company that I worked for decided to shut down [beer]

Rick

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-05-2004 05:06 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Omaha in August for a Strong seminar, and it proved to be quite a fun place... We had a lot of fun there with Don Sneed and a few other people from Universal Cinema Services... Maybe he can contribute more. I would maybe not recommend you to go to "Maxx's - the hottest gay dance club in the midwest" though. I think Don liked it. We others decided to take off anyway.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2004 06:45 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, Neberaska will eat you alive.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-05-2004 07:07 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
I have been in China for a few months for an install
Where were you, and what did you think of it? It's somewhere that I'd really like to go. I did go and talk to an offical China tourist place in London, and the prices were out of this world. They quoted everything in U.S. Dollars, and hotel prices were more than twice what I would expect to pay in London, which is supposed to be the second most expensive city in the world, after Tokyo. Flights were just impossibly expensive.

I know someone who's been out there on business several times, and it doesn't cost him anything like that amount; I think they just screw foreign tourists for every penny they can get out of them.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2004 08:23 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen this is moving way off topic but Expedia list city centre hotels in Shanghai ,for example, at £40 up.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2004 08:31 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Changchun. I had a good time there. I was staying in a 5 star hotel which cost about 100 USD a day. If you ate the local food the price was very cheap. 6 of us ate more than we could handle and drank a few local beers each and the total cost was about 10 USD. The hotel food was about 12 bucks for a steak and buffet. The plane tickets were about $1700. It helps if you have a local interpreter to get you the right prices. If I tried to buy something by myself, I would be charged double what a local would pay. Unless I was at the local Wal-Mart.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2004 03:21 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does a Chinese Wal*Mart mostly sell imported products made in the U.S.?? [Big Grin]

Ron Yost

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-05-2004 04:01 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
I would maybe not recommend you to go to "Maxx's - the hottest gay dance club in the midwest" though.
Oh PULEEZE, Mike!

Next time you come up to see me... NO MORE Sushi bar!

I ***WILL*** take you to the BEST ***places*** Hollywood has to offer! BUT! ONLY IF you can stand the ***HEAT***!

BTW: You GOTTA get your own motel room... you just aren't *MY TYPE*! [Razz]

>>> Phil

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-05-2004 04:26 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The China toutist place was talking about 400-600 US $ per night. Sounds like I was right, they're trying to screw whatever they can out of tourists.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: