Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Jack Daniels not as potent (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Jack Daniels not as potent
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-01-2004 11:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
click here
quote:
Jack Daniels lowers content of Tenn. Whiskey

MORE ON THE WEB

Jack Daniels

September 29, 2004

NASHVILLE (AP) -- Jack Daniel's

Tennessee Whiskey is a little less potent these days.

The famed "sippin' whiskey" has lowered the alcohol content of its flagship brand, Old Number 7 Black Label.

The whiskey, distilled in Lynchburg, now registers 80 proof instead of 86. This has staggered some drinkers.

There's a magazine called Modern Drunkard, and that's no joke. The editor, Kelly Rich, is so disillusioned he's ready to tie one on.

In Kelly's words, "I'm sure Jack is spinning in his grave."

Looks like someone has already started a petition.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-02-2004 01:08 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only 80 proof? Hell that's like drinking water! There goes my weekend. How am I supposed to drink my troubles away now? I guess I'll just have to cope with life.

Seriously, even 80 proof will knock you on yer ass. I guess this is bad news for alcoholics who need the higher dosage to get their fix. Alcoholics are cool.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-02-2004 01:36 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care what intensity Jack Daniels registers, the stuff tastes terrible to me. But then I'm more of a beer drinker.

80 proof is only 30 points higher than Listerine. There's burned out meth heads in my town drinking that stuff to get drunk. They don't get the brand name stuff, just the generic equivalent from Wal-Mart. I'm not sure how they keep from burning up their guts with the stuff, but I heard they eat a bunch of baking soda or something like that before getting blasted. Sure, they'll get piss drink, but they'll be minty fresh!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-02-2004 01:56 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This has staggered some drinkers.

Or it has some drinkers staggering.... should still do the trick!

Mark

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-02-2004 03:51 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HA! You guys are all SINNERS! [evil]

Coke on the rocks please.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2004 08:27 AM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Canada, J.D. has always been 80 proof, (40%). In fact all liquor is. I once ran across a liquor store that had accidentally been delivered a case of white-label Wild Turkey, but that was a one time deal. Good while it lasted though.

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2004 11:40 AM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats why, Gentlemen, if you are a fan of Home grown Whiskeys you should give Bonded Bourbons' a shot. Bottled at 100 proof & always will be. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [beer]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-02-2004 11:51 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, "Coke on the rocks please" from an LDS churchgoer...

I think your bishop will want a word with you Mike. [Big Grin]

Me and "my buddy Jack"? Never touch the stuff.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2004 12:21 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's 8 points....c'mon
I love Jack Daniels, and I'm not going to stop drinking it b/c it's less potent, I'll just drink more. But maybe this will convince people that there is more to the market than JD, which is nice.

Kyle Caudill
Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2004 12:28 PM      Profile for Kyle Caudill   Email Kyle Caudill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makers Mark. Smooth and better tasting. Sweet Nectar of the Gods

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-02-2004 01:44 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why in the world would anyone drink Jack Daniels when you can drink GIN?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-02-2004 02:21 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Bob! [Smile]

Naval strength (i.e. 57% ABV) Plymouth Gin is what I've got in mind. The Pilgrim Fathers spent their last night in England in what is now the Plymouth distillery. The following morning they walked about 30 yards down the Barbican, boarded the Mayflower and, well, any Film-Techer in Massachussets can take up the story from there, I guess.

I was in Plymouth for a meeting two weekends ago and was mightily glad I didn't have to drive myself home to York! [Big Grin]

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2004 03:01 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "proof" of wiskey is reduced by cutting with water. So, if you build your own condensing still, you can take that Jack Daniels from the bottle, reprocess it, and increase its proof content!

Basically, the distilling process is nothing more than seperating water from alcohol by converting via the liquid/gas relationship.

Pay attention to both The History Channel and The Discovery Channel for more info on distilling processes!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-02-2004 03:27 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't matter to me personally since I'm not much of a drinker but it sure seems like a pretty stupid move for a brand which extensively advertises how they continue to do things the same way they always have. Pretty much reveals that to be bullsh*t. Especially since this is not the first adulteration. The product used to be 90 proof (45% alcohol). They watered it down to 86 proof (43% alcohol) fifteeen or so years ago.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2004 07:21 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is right. I've seen 90 proof bottles of JD.

I never got into drinking Daniels.

I'm right beside Tennessee.

Am I not a good Southerner?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: