Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » DVD/CD printers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DVD/CD printers
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-01-2004 02:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for a printer that can print directly onto DVD and CDs. Does anyone have a recommendation, or something to stay away from?

Also, I have to use the white top "inkjet printable" media according to everything I have read. I assume there is no way to use regular "shiny top" or "matte top" media?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-01-2004 03:35 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had good luck with dedicated thermal, multi-color printers using white-label media.

The labels are brightly-colored, detailed, and permanent.

Cost of the printer and ribbon varies depending on production volume (speed) and resolution.

I'm not at home right now so I cannot say what mfgr makes my printer.

>>> Phil

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-01-2004 04:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen one of your discs, Phil. They do look nice. Please let me know what you are using when you get back home.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-01-2004 05:41 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While you're waitin' for Coot to get back home, try a search on ALPS printers. They were the printer of choice a few years ago for inexpensive (about USD $500 for a new MD-1300 at the time) and permanent dye-sublimation printing (many after-market decal printers used these). ALPS discontinued production a couple of years ago, but someone may have picked up the technology. The ink cartridges are still in production and available.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-01-2004 05:47 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you need to print onto hundreds of CDs at once, I wouldn't spend the money for one of those specialized printers. At my work we use one of those "CD Stomper" things with the inkjet printable labels. It works pretty well. However, I didn't like the computer templates that came with the package. The CorelDRAW, Illustrator and MS Word templates didn't line up well, so I had to create my own templates that did the job properly.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2004 09:15 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check these out.

They also sell blank CDs (they can custom print them in high quantities, too).

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2004 09:25 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
lso see http://www.wts-tape.com - I have been very happy with their products and service.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-01-2004 10:51 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson

I didn't like the computer templates that came with the package....

I have the same thing. I like it. I have the same complaint as you do about the software. The application SUX and the templates aren't much better. I tossed it out the first time after I used it.

My solution was to sacrifice one sheet of labels and peel off all the places where there is supposed to be printing. Then I laid it face down on my scanner bed and take a scan. I loaded the result into photoshop and did a bit of cleanup work. Once you have a nice set of thin, black outlines make it the background layer and save it. Copy and lock the original file.

Now, when I need a label, I call up the scanned image and use Photoshop to draw whatever I want inside the outlines but in a layer ON TOP OF the background. When you have your pictures the way you want, print out a test page to be sure it aligns with your labels. When you are satisfied, turn off the background layer and print again onto a sheet of labels.

It's easy to do. You don't have to learn new, sucky software. You can recall the designs, modify them and/or reprint them any time you want.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-01-2004 10:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am wanting to be able to use these for DVD labeling. Turns out there are a number of DVD players out there that do not like burned discs with a label attached.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2004 12:03 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that the problem with labels and dvd players is that they can un-balance the DVD when its spinning. Getting the label a hair off center can cause it to wobble. Not that this post actually helps you any, but...

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-02-2004 03:49 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your design has white at the top and darker colors at the bottom wouldn't the weight of the heavier inks cause the same unbalancing problem even on printed DVDs?

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2004 03:04 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://lsv.uky.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0408&L=amia-l&P=R19674&I=-3

">>2) Labels used on DVD-R can cause a high-speed wobble that produces
>>errors in playback. The internal laser guide in a DVD-R is four times
>>tighter than the laser guide on a CD-R; therefore any disc wobble can
>>cause the laser to miss-track (4X, 8X & 16X will be most affected).
>>Any alteration to the reflective layer will result in an unplayable
>>DVD-R. Adhesive labels have been reported to affect the reflective
>>layer after extended periods of time. Labeling a disc with a
>>permanent marker (alcohol based-Sharpie) has also been reported to
>>eat through the reflective layer on thermal discs over a period of
>>time. This can create adverse affects on a master or copy. Printing
>>directly onto the disc with an inkjet or thermal printer is the
>>industry standard for DVD-R and will cause less playback problems in the
future."

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2004 02:46 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad: Casio has two inexpensive DVD printers on their website. One (which I have and find great) has a keyboard as well as a PC interface, the cheaper one is only PC driven. They run $100-$125 and can handle graphics, colors, etc. I thoroughly recommend the CW-75 (keyboard) model. It even has internal memory for multiple discs with the same info.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-04-2004 03:17 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adhesive labels can have long-term keeping concerns as well. The adhesives can become brittle, powdery, or can ooze with age or poor storage conditions.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2004 03:50 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good points, John. In case my earlier post wasn't clear, the two Casio printers mentioned print directly on DVD's, and recommend against the "printable" discs with the painted finish. The printing is done with a thermal print head and ribbon and seems very durable, although it can be removed with solven if desired. I have had no problems with playback in almost 200 discs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: