Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Multiplex cinema closed after janitor reports python

Author Topic: Multiplex cinema closed after janitor reports python
Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2004 03:56 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
HOUSTON It's not quite the Phantom of the Opera, but something the janitor at a Houston movieplex saw turned out to be a show-stopper.

The 16-screen Tinseltown plex in northwest Houston has been closed for more than a week. That's after the janitor spotted what appeared to be a Burmese python slithering in front of one of the screens.

Apparently the snake was as startled by the janitor as he was of the snake, and it hasn't been seen since. But the owner -- Cinemark U-S-A -- says it won't reopen the theaters until a professional snake-catcher certifies the serpent has left the building.

Cinemark spokeswoman Terrell Falk says three separate crews of professional snake-catchers have been brought in to look for the snake, but nothing's been found so far.

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2369699

[ 09-30-2004, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2004 04:06 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Closed for a week based on a snake being spotted?

WTF?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-30-2004 05:27 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's called the disease of American civilization: way the hell too many attorneys. You can thank these guys for everything from extreme insurance prices and nearly impossible to open containers to almost every swimming pool in North America lacking a diving board. Assholes!!!
[Mad]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-30-2004 05:31 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely love how American Civilization most always translates into North America. I've got a diving board, and so do all my neighbors with pools.

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2004 05:47 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a week, if the theater i work would do that, hell i call that in my self just for a vaction [evil]

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2004 09:47 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kyle Watkins
For a week, if the theater i work would do that, hell i call that in my self just for a vaction
Yeah, except that you wouldn't be getting paid, so what's the point?

The employee's with the possible exception of the managment staff is more than likely not seeing any type of compensation during this time. Makes things difficult to pay the bills.
Hopefully they're taking this opportunity to perform other tasks too that can only be done when the theater is dark.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2004 08:36 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pythons aren't really that harmful. You'd think there was a cobra in there or something! Probably some customer's pet...

So what if they never find this snake? Are they going to close the theater forever "just in case?"

And they're thinking bass-ackwards. Turin the AIR up, NOT THE HEAT! You want the damn thing to leave, so make it colder in there than it is outside, and it will find its way out the way it came in. Or just leave the popcorn warmer on and it will find its way there. [thumbsup]

Should just say it's a promotion for Anacondas. [Roll Eyes]

=TMP=

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-01-2004 10:40 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The solution is easy.

Go to a pet store that sells reptiles and buy/borrow a snake just like the one that was reported. Put it in a bag or a bucket. Have the janitor pose for a picture holding the "captured" snake.

Now, the theater can open its doors again and get back to business.

Under cover of darkness, find the snake at your leisure. Dispose of it in an appropriate manner. If somebody finds the original snake before you do. Just claim that there must have been another.

If it's just a little 'ol python it's not going to hurt anybody.
Even if you don't catch it for a long time, just remember: Snakes eat rats! Right?!

Free extermination services! THAT's a bargain! [Big Grin]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2004 03:38 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They've already invaded home theaters...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209264/

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2004 11:06 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy has a good point. A lot of pet stores let lizards go in the store to eat the bugs.

As for diving boards, I have noticed that the trend is to put in slides now. Doesnt matter to me, I never could dive in.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: