Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Man extracts own teeth with pliers

Author Topic: Man extracts own teeth with pliers
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-28-2004 07:17 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A desparate man pulled his own teeth out with rusty pliers - because he couldn't find an NHS dentist. George Daulat, 47, from Scarborough, had severe toothache but could not get treatment. He carried out the DIY dentistry - with half-a-litre of vodka as anaesthetic - two weeks ago. Since then infection has set in, causing unrelenting pain.

Unemployed Mr Daulat said: 'It was the hardest and most horrible thing I have ever done, but I was desperate. I had a pair of pliers - they were old and a bit rusty, but I knew they would do the job.'

'I bought a bottle of vodka because there was no way I could have done it sober. I thought it would dull the pain - but I was so wrong. It was agonising.'

Mr Daulat managed to extract three teeth but a fourth would not budge. 'I was drunk, and when I woke up in the morning and saw the blood I thought I'd severed an artery,' he said. 'Things feel a bit better now, but I am still searching for a dentist, because the fourth tooth needs to be removed properly.'

Scarborough's emergency NHS dental surgery, Northway Clinic, could not treat Mr Daulat the day he pulled his teeth out because he did not phone early enough. John Carney, clinical lead at Northway, said he was shocked by the incident. He said: 'If Mr Daulat had rung here at 8.30am he would have had an appointment that day. It's as simple as that.'

Link.

Was the lack of NHS treatment the real reason (link to news story from February '04 about Scarborough dentist who has conviction for assault) he didn't want to use an 'official' dentist?! Coincidentally, there was also another dentist in that neck of the woods who was struck off after he was found to be using £1.50 bogstandard metal drill bits rather than medically approved ones. Not the place to be if you have sore teeth...

|  IP: Logged

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2004 12:20 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was clearly an application not for pliers, but for Vise-Grips. I bet he made a mess of it. Teeth Done Wrong.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: