Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Jay Leno Puts in His Notice. Conan O'Brien to Replace. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Jay Leno Puts in His Notice. Conan O'Brien to Replace.
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-27-2004 08:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Jay Leno, whose main shtick is asking stupid people simple questions and laughing at their dopey answers will retire from the Tonight Show in 2009 and then commit suicide with a potato peeler because he doesn't want to be 60. Conan O'Brien has been signed to replace Leno in 2009.

Read it for yourself!

quote:
O'Brien to replace Leno on 'The Tonight Show'

Monday, September 27, 2004 Posted: 8:07 PM EDT (0007 GMT)
LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Jay Leno will hand over the reins of NBC's "The Tonight Show" to "Late Night" host Conan O'Brien - - but not until 2009, the network announced Monday.

"In 2009, I'll be 59 years old and will have had this dream job for 17 years," Leno said in NBC's written statement. "I felt that the timing was right to plan for my successor and there is no one more qualified than Conan."

"Plus, I promised Mavis (his wife) I would take her out for dinner before I turned 60," Leno said.

O'Brien, 41, has signed a contract to stay in his current job at 12:30 a.m. ET for the next five years and then take over the top- rated late-night show when Leno retires.

"Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien continue to be the most successful combination in all of late night," said NBC senior vice president Rick Ludwin. "We have locked in the future ... for years to come."

It's not clear just how long O'Brien is "locked in." NBC would not say how long his new contract lasts, nor how much he and Leno are to be paid.

The early announcement avoids a replay of the early 1990s, when the retirement of veteran host Johnny Carson touched off a behind-the-scenes battle between Leno and then- "Late Night" host David Letterman over who would be Carson's successor.

That feud ended with Letterman going to CBS to compete head-to-head with Leno. Letterman took an early lead in the ratings, but Leno has been consistently ahead for the last nine years.

O'Brien, in the statement, called "The Tonight Show" "one of the great franchises in television" and said he is "thrilled to get this opportunity."

"I am thankful to everyone at NBC -- which has been my home for the last 11 years -- and I am particularly grateful to Jay for all the generous support and kindness he has always shown me," he said.

The announcement leaves an upcoming vacancy in the 12:30 a.m. time slot, a position that catapulted both Letterman and O'Brien onto TV's lucrative A-list.

Leno, a stand-up comic, was Carson's guest host before taking over full-time. O'Brien was a writer for "Saturday Night Live" and "The Simpsons" before landing the "Late Night" job in 1993.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-27-2004 10:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! Thats really planning ahead [thumbsup] . Perhaps by 2009 Conan [sleep] will actually be funny and others other than he will think he really is. We can only hope and pray.

Mark

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2004 10:55 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personaly I like Conan better than Leno, though Leno is funny.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2004 11:49 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sad thing about this???

Letterman is funnier than either of these two dolts.. [Roll Eyes]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-27-2004 11:56 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sadder thing is that one of the reasons Kilborn left is that he figured Conan was going to get Letterman's job.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2004 11:59 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can all be Thankful as well that it wasn't offered to John Stewart. Be *very* Thankful... [Eek!] [eyes]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-28-2004 12:07 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best thing is Kilbore...I mean Kilborn is gone. Conan is much more funnier than he ever was.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-28-2004 12:10 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That absolute saddest thing about all of this is that nobody has given me $10 million for no reason. I think Conan and Jay could afford to give me some cash and not miss it.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2004 12:16 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And neither would be funny while they gave it to you.. [Smile]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-28-2004 12:33 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blue screen would have more on screen personna than O'Brian--UGH The nearest to nothing to disgrace the wonderful world of late nite TV

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-28-2004 12:42 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well put Bill [thumbsup] ! The only person that thnks Conan is funny is Conan. The only funny thing I've ever seen on Conan was the guy that dredded up like Peter Pan.... he was funny that night but Conan wasn't.

Lets face it. All of the late night shows are starting to die out. When you switch to Letterman from Leno its like moving over to the old farts club... and Lettermans show has absolutely ZERO class any more. He used to be the best but now there is no "Best" night time show. I'd rather watch re-runs of "Leave It To Beaver"..... Eddie Haskell and Lumpy are alot funnier than any of them.

Mark @ CLACO
Live On Vacation!!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-28-2004 12:46 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer
The best thing is Kilbore...I mean Kilborn is gone. Conan is much more funnier than he ever was.
Conan was a lot better when Andy Richter was still on the show. Kilborn's interviews, IMHO, were better than any of the other shows. Classier too, I think. At 12:35am, I'm not really looking for great comedy, just the odd chuckle, while still being entertained. Kilborn was good at that.

I usually decided which show to watch by seeing who was on both (Conan & Kilborn) and then picking one to watch. It was easy to do since Kilborn started about a minute later than Conan, so you'd watch the opening to Conan, and then flip to the opening of Kilborn. I usually ended up watching Kilborn.

Now I'm back to watching Conan once in a while, who I respect for pissing off Quebec. [thumbsup]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2004 12:55 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I can smell your crotch from here."

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-28-2004 01:16 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Letterman rocks. And he can be serious if need be. You can learn more about politics from the Letterman show when he has a politician on, than you can from any of the talking heads on the news shows. It's because he asks regular-guy questions.

Leno is just dorky.

O'Brien is pretty good, better than Leno. I don't know if he'll be a good fit for the Tonight Show though.

I agree with most here, Kilborn won't be missed much.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2004 08:15 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that John Stewart was in the running to replace Conan when he goes to the tonight show. He might do pretty well there.

Somebody will have to revive this thread in about 5 years once the switch has been made.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: