Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Here comes Hurricane Jeanne!

Author Topic: Here comes Hurricane Jeanne!
Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2004 08:49 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

This will probably be one of my last posts for a while again while we deal with yet another hurricane. Latest reports show the eye of the storm passing over Metro Orlando (I'm about 5 miles from there) around 2pm on Sunday. Widespread damage and power outages are likely, and I don't know when I'll get internet back, either.
We're pretty much safe up here. The new apartment is facing the opposite direction of the wind, with buildings sheilding the other side. We've got plenty of water and a couple interior rooms to hide in.
Unfortunatley, the full force will hit just 20 miles away from my parents' house (West Palm Beach/Royal Palm Beach) who have sustained damage during the last one, Frances. They still plan to ride it out at home.
To all the Florida techers as well as Georgia, Alabama and the Carolinas, all we can do is pray. Pray for the terrorists to stop controlling the weather! [Smile]

Take care all, and I'll check in as soon as possible.

Thomas.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2004 12:00 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stay safe and be careful yet again. When the remnants of Ivan came through the Ohio Valley last week, 44 out of 67 counties in Pennsylvania were put on the dole for disaster aide. In Allegheny County (Pittsburgh), flooding caused millions of dollars in damages as home owners far from local streambeds found themselves surrounded by water. My county of Lawrence is included on the 44, but nobody I know suffered any damages.

When Frances came through earlier this month I got over an inch of water in my car due to leaky seals and my girl friend's mom had about the same on here basement floor. Somehow, that killed her dryer. A guy my dad works with had over three feet in his basement as a result of that storm. None had flood insurance because nobody lived in prone areas. Probably couldn't get it anyway given the insurance bureaucracy today.

Ivan will replace 1972's Agnes as being one of the most destructive storms to hit Pennsylvania in our history. Time to go back and revise the classroom notes . . .

Hope to hear from you soon Thomas

Brent Neal Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2004 01:41 PM      Profile for Brent Neal Jones   Email Brent Neal Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pray for the terrorists to stop controlling the weather!
Truth in that ? Highly likely...y'all take care riding it out and good luck! [uhoh]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2004 03:15 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get out the Procyk-sniffing dogs again, the center of Jeanne's eye made landfall at a lattitude just 30 miles north of Thomas' location!

It's time to stop futzing with this same problem over & over. We need to permanently enclose Thomas in an 8 foot diameter transparent high-impact plastic ball with a radio beacon inside. I nominate Brad to fix this problem once & for all, & everybody get out the way.

Brent Neal Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2004 03:42 AM      Profile for Brent Neal Jones   Email Brent Neal Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's past Thomas, looks like it's hitting the Carolinas now, too bad... [Big Grin] [beer]

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2004 06:47 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We here in the mountains of western NC are really getting tired of this. Hominy Creek, a tributary of the French Broad River, is still about 4 feet above its normal levels, and is still very muddy looking where it goes by my best friends home. His home got 7 feet of water, and lost 5 classic cars with Ivan. His wife is freaking again over this, and we might be unloading the house One More Time...

We are waiting to replace the motors and electronics on his furnace, A/C, washer, dryer, and several other electric things. The house used to have a finished basement. Never again. I'll be busy with motors, etc. around Thursday, I hope.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2004 12:06 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce,

I can only imagine the water levels you're seeing. While in Stecoah (Fontana/Deal's Gap), I watched the Stecoah Creek rise over a foot in less than 30 minutes! [Eek!] While it was cool to see nature at it's finest, I could only wonder at the water levels on those areas downstream where the full brunt would be felt. I noticed that the water level at th ecreek at Magie Valley was really high and rushing as well. While on our only scenic ride Saturday, noticed that there were MANY downed power lines, washouts, slides and debris everywhere! I didn't think it was that bad where we were but I was wrong indeed. Part of Hwy 28 near Franklin was completly gone. Washed away into the river bank... Also saw several HUGE rocks that had slid into the road. NC DOT crews were drilling (to blast I guess?) the rock for removal.

I thought living at the beach during a 'cane was bad. Seeing Ivan in the mtns made me see how bad it could be elsewhere... And power outtages... good Lord, everyone in the mtn regions shoudl have generators...

Hope you come thru ok Bruce. Hate to hear of your buddies losses. At least it was cars lost, not lives.. [Frown]

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2004 07:27 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woke up this morning to lots of downed tree limbs and a yard full of leaves... My friend has come thru OK. The creek is up about 10 feet above normal this morning, and will probably come on up over the bridge before it goes down. There are alot of downed trees in the creekbed, and this will probably cause some flooding behind them, but I think we have made it thru another one.

With a little luck, we won't have to rake many leaves after all the trees drop the rest of their leaves... yeah right. [Big Grin]

All of these storms have really made a mess of this area.

Lets go out and clean out some gutters. At least, I have some to clean.

Glad you had a good time in Maggie Valley, and the Franklin area, Jason. Its really pretty over there.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2004 11:27 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one wasn't nearly as bad as the other two in our area. Probably because there was nothing left to destroy. A few more trees down, signs blown over... and we lost power for a little over a day.

There's flooding reported around most of the lakes in the area. Highways like A1A and US 17/92 are washed out in many places.

Things are getting back to normal a lot quicker this time around. People are getting a little too much practice around here. [Smile]

Glad to hear our friends in the Carolinas are safe. Sure, material posessions can be replaced, but I speak from experience when I say it's not a pretty ordeal.

=TMP=

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2004 07:15 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear from you, too, Thomas.

I hope this is the last one for awhile.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2004 09:10 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For us, the eye traveled straight down state road 60 in Plant City heading toward Tampa. This was worse that the other two. My grandmom still doesn't have power(it went out Sunday morning) My parents house was dark for about 42 hours. Many more trees destroyed, and many traffic lights were dangling.

I was in a shelter on Sunday night. Now all is well to a point

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2004 09:18 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you guys are getting sick of this in NC? How do you think we feel in Florida? [Big Grin]

My parents live in Melbourne (they were hit by Charley, Frances, and Jeanne) and my grandmother lives in Stuart (hit BAD by Frances and Jeanne). My question is....when will this stop? The weather people say soon, but I don't trust them anymore b/c they are way too overpaid and they have million dollar computers to tell them what it's obvious.

Speaking of natural disasters...how is everyone over in Cali?

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2004 10:03 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dean Kollet
My question is....when will this stop?
NEVER! Lookit:

New weather patterns turn Florida into a hurricane magnet

BY MARTIN MERZER

Knight Ridder Newspapers

MIAMI - (KRT) - Charley, Frances and Ivan. Three major hurricanes. Two assaults on Florida already and possibly a third by next week. Get used to it. This is the new normal.

Scientists say we are in a period of enhanced hurricane activity that could last for decades, ending a 24-year period of below average activity. They also say the law of averages has caught up with Florida, with a change in atmospheric steering currents turning the state into a hurricane magnet.

``People are suddenly alert, suddenly paying attention,'' said Stanley Goldenberg, a meteorologist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's hurricane research division on Virginia Key. ``They can see now that we are in an active era. ... - People should realize that it is very unlikely that Frances is the last storm the U.S. will see this year.''

Which brings us to Hurricane Ivan.

Though subject to considerable error, long-range forecasts are consistently suggesting that Ivan will strike Jamaica on Friday and Cuba on Sunday as a vicious Category 4 hurricane. The outlook improved slightly for South Florida, but the southern half of the state remained in the five-day cone of probability.

When asked if Florida can endure another hurricane, Gov. Jeb Bush pointed Tuesday to a button he wore on his shirt. It said: ``I survived damn near everything.''

``We will survive whatever comes at us,'' he said. ``We're an incredibly resilient state. I'm not being defiant; I'm only suggesting we can meet this challenge.''

If Ivan hits the state, it will be the first time since 1964 that three hurricanes smacked Florida in the same year. And September and October tend to be among the most active months of the six-month hurricane season that ends Nov. 30.

``The season is still young,'' said Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center in West Miami-Dade County. ``It certainly seems from my perspective that we're in the active period that has been predicted. The only surprise is that Florida hasn't been hit more often in the last few years.''

A sobering thought: Between 1941 and 1950, seven major hurricanes - with winds higher than 110 mph - attacked Florida. ``And that doesn't include the other less powerful hurricanes,'' Goldenberg said. That 10-year period fell in the middle of a cycle of heightened activity that began in 1926 and persisted until 1970.

Now, the combination of complacency bred during a long lull between 1971 and 1994, the new hyperactivity since 1995 and the ongoing mega-development of Florida's coasts frightens emergency managers and scientists.

``The implications are much-increased damage when storms make landfall,'' Goldenberg said, ``and the potential for major loss of life in the event of an evacuation foul-up during a rapidly intensifying storm.''

He has more than academic interest in this. Goldenberg and his family were nearly killed when Hurricane Andrew crushed their South Miami-Dade home in 1992.

Research he later conducted with NOAA scientist Chris Landsea, private expert William Gray and others found distinct patterns of low-activity hurricane periods and high-activity periods, each of which endured for decades. These patterns, unrelated to the current concern over global warming, are caused by regular cycles of oceanic and atmospheric phenomena, such as unusually warm water in hurricane breeding grounds.

One period of ``hyperactivity'' ended in 1970 and was followed by a 24-year lull. The new period of heightened activity began in 1995 and could last for another 10 to 30 years, according to their report, which was peer-reviewed and published in 2001 in the prestigious journal Science.

In the last few years, and particularly this year, the depressing statistics related to the number, power and duration of storms appear to verify the report's depressing conclusions, especially when major hurricanes are considered.

This is significant because, though relatively few in number, major hurricanes - Category 3 or higher - cause 80 percent of all damage from tropical weather.

``We're not talking about stronger hurricanes than in the past,'' Goldenberg said. ``We're talking about more of the stronger hurricanes.''

The long-term average, including relatively quiet periods and busy periods, is 2.6 major hurricanes a year.

Between 1971 and 1994, only four years had more than two major hurricanes and none had more than three. Between 1995 and 2003, a much shorter period, seven years had three or more major hurricanes.

And we've already had four major storms this year - Alex, Charley, Frances and Ivan.

All the other numbers tell the same tale: total storms, total strength, total duration, Caribbean hurricanes, October and November hurricanes, each at least 100 percent - in some cases 500 or 1,000 percent - higher since the lull.

``That's a humongous increase,'' Goldenberg said. ``This is striking. This is not a little signal. It would be like saying the average temperature is 15 degrees warmer than last summer. It's huge. It's huge.''

Worse, atmospheric steering currents have changed to our disadvantage.

During the beginning of this active period, a persistent and beneficial bend in the jetstream carried hurricanes away from Florida. Now, that phenomenon had disappeared, replaced by a persistent ridge of high pressure over the Atlantic that is pushing them toward Florida.

What can you do?

Only one thing: Prepare.

``People should realize that, active year or slow year, we can still get hit,'' Goldenberg said. ``Remember, Andrew hit during a below-average year. The higher activity is just all the more reason to remind people that they can't let their guard down.''

(Herald correspondent Mary Ellen Klas contributed to this report.)
---
© 2004, The Miami Herald.

=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: