Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Help request on identifying some kit

Author Topic: Help request on identifying some kit
David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2004 07:51 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to identify some of the kit thats in our booth.

The first is this lamphouse. It claims to be a Hi-Central HC-14, of Japanese manufacture, but I'm sure its either a built under licence or knock-off copy of something well known.

-

I found another one on the 'net, though the web site claims its a projector :-) http://www.quilts-club.com/7kencho/cinemas33.jpg

The second item is a rectifier. This is made locally, in Wellington, but states its made unde licence from Westinghouse, reference WRF60/40

-

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-21-2004 03:02 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the rectfier, but the lamp is very like a Peerless Magnarc, but I think there may be some slight differences. Yours doesn't seem to have the illuminated 'Peerless' sign on top, and the meter looks different.

They certainly were made under licence, most of the ones over here were made in Glasgow, by Kelvin, Baird and Bottomley, so it's quite possiible that other licences were issued as well.

Several manufacturers made xenon conversions for them, and a fair number of converted ones are still in use. The ABC chain used a lot of them on FP-20s and DP-75s when they modernised their cinemas in the '70s.

Yours look in very nice condition, have they been repainted at some time? Most were black, but I have also seen grey and silver ones. Some of the knobs and handles were a strange yellowish green colour, that looked loke something radioactive from an ald science fiction film.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-21-2004 03:03 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the lamphouse is certainly familiar enough.

Stephen's got a good eye. That meter is certainly in a different housing. If that's xenon conversion, it sure looks nice, though all the conversions I ran into had the carbon adjustment knobs removed. The chrome trim is different, and it appears to be shorter than the American Magnarc... maybe more like the dimensions of a Brenkert Enarc?

Here are some good pictures of the original model.

http://www.film-tech.com/pics/byrd/byrd.html

http://www.pastpresentfuture.net/collectibles/misc/misc005.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~arthurallen/SkylineOld.jpg

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-21-2004 07:00 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Central was part of the Fuji projector / Victor Arc group. They discontinued building projection equipment about a year ago and are now distributing Kinoton in their market.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2004 12:27 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
I don't know about the rectfier, but the lamp is very like a Peerless Magnarc, but I think there may be some slight differences. Yours doesn't seem to have the illuminated 'Peerless' sign on top, and the meter looks different.
The lamphouse looks very familiar to the pair of carbon arcs I renovated over 33 years ago at the old Regal Daventry. They were named ‘Regal’ and were a copy of the Peerless Magnarc. The owner told me, although he wasn’t sure, that he thought Kalee made them, as the projectors installed were Kalee 12’s with British Acoustic sound system.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2004 06:01 AM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all.

I've download the manual for the Magnarc, and it looks very similar to what we have. I knew I'd seem something similar somewhere, but just couldn't place it.

And Jack, no, these are still carbons. And will be that way till hell freezes over or carbons become unobtanium, but somehow I think hell freezing will occur first :-)

Just for a giggle, these projectors have the Hi-Central magnarc clone lamphouses, Westrex 2001-E/3 projector (looks awfully like a century), Westrex 2003-C sound (also looks century), with Westar base and reels. I've searched a bit on FT and google, but cant find any references to these Westrex item numbers.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2004 03:07 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... but the lamp is very like a Peerless Magnarc... doesn't seem to have the illuminated 'Peerless' sign on top...
Stephen

On more recent inspection, there is a slot on the top of the lamphouse just forward of the exhaust port that is covered with masking tape, which looks very like it could be for edge illuminating a sign. I was wondering what that slot thing was about, and I'm guessing thats the answer.

Well spotted.

BTW - I used to live in Croydon, Oval Road, by East Croydon station...

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-12-2004 03:54 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely a Magnarc housing, but the meter looks like it was ripped off an Ashcraft.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-01-2016 11:31 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 4188 days since the last post.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-01-2016 11:31 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using this thread to ask for help identifying some UK kit - a pair of 35mm portables as installed aboard the RMS Queen Mary after a 1947 cinema remodel:

-

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-02-2016 04:29 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So did you manage to get in to one of the booths on the Queen Mary, or is this a pic you found somewhere?

When I did the Queen Mary tour last summer, I noticed projection portholes at the back of both the grand stateroom and, if memory serves me correctly, the second class dining room. I did ask the guide if any projection equipment was still in them and if it would be possible to have a look, but he didn't know and didn't have a key.

If these projectors date from the 1947 refit (which, the tour guide explained, was done to convert it back from a troopship to civilian use fully, including some major upgrades, e.g. the addition of stabilizers), I'd guess Gaumont-Kalee or BTH, but don't recognize them.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-03-2016 02:01 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't one of my pix - it was posted on a LA Theaters FB site. Given the time frame, they were assuming these machines were of UK origin.

I've only been in the Queen Mary's Grand Stateroom projection box once, for the Long Beach Film Festival back in 2001. The original kit had been long since removed, and we installed a Vic 8 or Vic 10 (can't remember now) for that festival.

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2016 10:43 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am reasonably sure that these are Gaumont British model N portable 35mm projectors. The projection plant in the larger cinema was also GB so perhaps the same company contracted for both installations.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-04-2016 12:46 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would make sense. To my knowledge, G-K and British Thomson-Houston were the two major manufacturers of 35mm projector mechanisms in the UK at that time.

In the decade following the end of WWII, Britain was effectively broke from the costs of fighting it (indeed, the UK didn't finish paying off its lend-lease until 2006). The government, therefore, imposed Donald Trump-style import duties on all imports considered to be non-essential, plus tax breaks to encourage exports. So no British purchaser would have imported projectors in 1947 unless they absolutely had to. If you look at the British trade press from the late '40s, it's full of complaints from theater managers about how they can't afford to import spares needed to keep their neon marquees going and that sort of stuff.

At that time, Gaumont-Kalee was the manufacturing arm of the Rank Organisation, the News International of its day, which had bought out the Kershaw optical company in the early 1940s to acquire the capacity to make its own audio-visual equipment.

Incidentally, the import-tax regime persisted until Britain joined (what was then called) the European Economic Community in 1975. In the late 1960s, the Odeon chain installed Cinemecannica Vic 8s, with full 70mm kits. The reason was that the tax penalty didn't apply if the equipment you were buying was not manufactured in the UK. At that time, G-K offered the 35mm only GK-37, which Odeon didn't want, because it had acquired a reputation for being unreliable and difficult to operate, repair and maintain. Because no British manufacturer offered a 70mm projector (G-K bet the farm on VistaVision, and lost), Odeon dodged the tax by importing fully 70mm-capable Italian projectors, even though most of them never ran a single foot of 70mm print.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-04-2016 03:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 70mm import loophole ended with the introduction of the Westrex5000 35/70mm machine made in the UK

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: