Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Email software

Author Topic: Email software
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-10-2004 09:25 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've prided myself on using old versions (pre-bloatware/spyware/adware) of Eudora for email and thus avoiding the evil that is Outlook, worms, etc. Now I've run into a situation where one of my DSL accounts requires SMTP authentication which Eudora 3.0.6 doesn't do. So I'm looking for recommendations for a nice simple freeware POP/SMTP email client for Winblows 98. Authentication needed but otherwise the fewer features the better. By way of comparison in my Unix days I didn't even bother with Pine but used Elm.

HTML in email is evil.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-10-2004 11:27 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PM Mail is a good POP mail client

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-10-2004 12:37 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could write, or have someone write, a proxy wrapper that does auth for you and continue to use Eudora.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-10-2004 12:40 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
I've prided myself on using old versions (pre-bloatware/spyware/adware) of Eudora for email
The new "free" (pre-bloatware/spyware/adware) version of Eudora should work fine for you, Steve. I've got 5.2 here (paid! [Razz] )

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2004 01:26 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
By way of comparison in my Unix days I didn't even bother with Pine but used Elm.
In similar way that Pine is not Elm, Mulberry is Not Free, but it doesnt cost much, ($39.95), and does work really well. It does display HTML mail quite happily (as well as straight ASCII), but without "assistance" from Microsoft components, and thus you machine doesnt become a trojan repository or spam amplifier. This is the email tool I choose to use.

(Update: And I forgot to say it definitely does support SMTP authentication, and the SMTP settings are independent of the POP settings, so you can use a different server (ip address and/or port), userid and password and encryption methods for the SMTP and POP3 (or better still IMAP) sides.)

Of course, if it has to be free, then Pegasus mail would surely be the answer. (but I dont know how flexible its server settings are, as its a while since I looked at this product)

Mulberry
Pegasus Mail

[ 08-10-2004, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: David Buckley ]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-10-2004 01:45 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for curiousity sake I tried the current Eudora (6.1.2) and unless I'm missing something it doesn't even do authentication in a way I could use. There's no place to enter a SMTP login so I presume it uses what you put down for POP. If that's the case then it's worthless to me since I don't get mail from the ISP that I have the workplace DSL with.

[ 08-10-2004, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Steve Kraus ]

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2004 06:06 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Pegasus and it does everything you need. It can be very flexible. You can setup SMTP authentication, rules for filtering, turn on or off imaging and HTML and the biggest thing about it is that it is FREE. Oh yeah!

It can be found here...
http://www.pmail.com/

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-10-2004 10:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I proof my personal SBC/Yahoo! DSL account e-mail via their web page. Check the headers and then delete anything I don't want. Same goes for our company e-mail. After I've proofed it, then I'll download the messages I want to keep into an e-mail client like Outlook Express or Mozilla. The process sounds labor intensive, but it goes pretty quick due to the web servers having their own spam filters.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-10-2004 11:43 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get very little spam at my private email address though there have been a few more lately. It's not unusual to go weeks without any. I use different addresses for anything I sign up for and newsgroup postings (even with a "spamblock" in the address field).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: