Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » An Evening With Rush

Author Topic: An Evening With Rush
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2004 10:28 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw Rush's 30th Anniversary tour last night. One word: Wowwwwwwwww!! The last time (and probablly the only time) I can remember being that blown away at a concert was the first time I saw Metallica. Rush is definitely rock and roll at its finest. They played for over three hours, and did about 30 songs. Most bands that I've seen play for an hour and a half, maybe two if you're lucky.

The show opened with a video that featured Jerry Stiller. He was asleep on a couch somewhere (not sure if that was supposed to be backstage) wearing a Rush t-shirt. That was pretty cool. The band started with a medley, followed by Spirit of Radio. The show ended with a 3-song encore that included their covers of Summertime Blues and Crossroads, followed by Limelight.

This concert easily ranks up in my top three. Possibly number one. What really amazes me about Rush is that such an incredibly awesome band is only made up of three people. Most bands are at least four. Definitely a great show. Not to be missed.

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2004 10:38 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rush is my favorite band. (some of you already know this) [Smile]

I get to see them next week at the Nissan Pavilion in Virgina.
Then the week after that in Saratoga Springs, NY.

[thumbsup] Can't wait!

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2004 11:03 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention it is cool that the drummer is the main member of the group.

Whew. For a minute, I thought this thread was about Rush Limbaugh.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2004 12:00 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, that rememinds me of another point about the show I forgot to mention: the drum solo! Incredible! I don't think I've ever seen a drum solo quite like it. I had to pick my jaw up of the ground when it was over. [Big Grin] Totally awesome.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-30-2004 05:35 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen Rush in concert in a long time, but remember their show vividly. They definitely put on one of the very best concerts rock music can provide. Pink Floyd's tour for "Momentary Lapse of Reason" is the only thing I believe equals a Rush concert.

Rush pulls out all the stops. Even back in the 1980's they had giant projection screens, dramatic lighting effects and lasers all over the place. On the Power Windows tour, I remember the lasers animating a man running on the giant screen for the song "Marathon". The most powerful song they did on that tour was "Distant Early Warning" which featured clips from the music video and an animated version of the Grace Under Pressure album cover.

But as great as all the visual stuff makes a concert, the real meat and potatoes of the show is just how great and precise these guys play. I mean, DAMN, they're good.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-30-2004 06:39 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pravin Ratnam
Not to mention it is cool that the drummer is the main member of the group.
Neil Peart is the Main Lyricist for the band. Not the original drummer for the band when formed in 1969. The original drummer was John Rutsy who left the band due to an illness shortly after the release of the bands first album in 1974.

Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee write the music that surrounds Neil's lyrics.

keyboards and synthesizers were introduced to live performances on the release of the bands fourth album 2112. The first of two songs comprised of various musical parts 2112, the other being Hemispheres, ran about 20 mins. and took one complete side of a vinyl record or cassette tape to play.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2004 08:54 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis,

I'm also going to the Nissan Pavilion show on Tuesday. Getting in and out of the parking lot is extremely frustrating and traffic is a mess. You should allow yourself plenty of time to get there.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-31-2004 12:48 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Rush is a great band and they have great music. But there is something that I noticed recently that concerns me. My friend bought the Rush concert DVD and was showing parts of it to me. When Ghetto Lee Lewis stopped playing the bass and began to play melody on the keyboard, I swear I could still hear some bass. It wasn't synth-bass... definitely real bass. But neither of Ghetto's hands were on his bass. Somebody please explain now.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 01:39 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe -
Pay attention to the feet. Since there are only three band members - they use synth pedals (at thier feet) to pick up extra effects and guitar/bass lines. Next time you watch the concert - look at their feet - they do as much work as their hands.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 08:59 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That's pretty incredible. Like I said in my initial post, I'm amazed at how such an awesome band can be made up of only three guys.

So are these extra guitar and bass lines pre-recorded, or are they playing some sort of foot version of the instrument? Why don't they just add a keyboard player?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-31-2004 12:14 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
Why don't they just add a keyboard player?
Because then you would have to pay them.

Actually during recording of their albums the use the foot peddles in different parts of the song that they know they will be using keyboards on. That's what makes it more easy for them to do the songs live. It doesn't take away from the sound.

Geddy Lee made a comment back when the band was using a lot more keyboard and synthesizers in their songs. "at one point when we would do live performances of certain songs I felt as if I was going to have to play the keyboard parts with my ass." That quote came from a radio interview, it may not be exactly as written but the last part is what he said.

The only thing taped is the opening intros to their shows when ever they use them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: