Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Prankster uses plastic wrap as road trap (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Prankster uses plastic wrap as road trap
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-18-2004 09:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The link is here Joe!
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/07/18/plastic.trap.ap/index.html

TOWN OF WAUKESHA, Wisconsin (AP) -- A prankster tightly wound plastic wrap around traffic poles across a two-lane road, causing a motorcycle accident that injured two people.

Daniel Buckel, and his girlfriend, Theresa Brzykcy, were riding south of Waukesha on Tuesday when their motorcycle crashed into the plastic wrap set up 3 to 4 feet above the road -- wound thickly from traffic poles on opposite sides.

Buckel, 22, was within 10 feet when he saw the makeshift barricade, and hit the brakes.

"It's appalling, and it's really frightening," Brzykcy, 19, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "What was their intention? This should make people more aware that pranks like that are not as harmless as they seem."

Buckel was cut above his eye and broke his finger. Brzykcy also suffered scrapes and bruises.

Buckel is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to a conviction.

Last year, several parked cars were found bound in plastic wrap to prevent drivers from getting inside, Detective Steve Pederson said.

That sure is a good way to get the attention of the local police!

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 10:08 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That had too be an amazing amount of shrink wrap!

That reminds me of what the kids in my area used to with toliet paper and 2x4's at night. The kids would run strips of TP across the alleys. You would get out of your car to remove the first couple of strips and it would fall to the alley ground with ease. Now, you didn't want to reomove all 30 lines of TP windshield high; so the driver would just drive right threw them. But the one about 15 'rows' in would actucally be a 2x4 on a wire and the TP just to cover it up. A couple of broken windshields and visits from the police later, it all stopped & the kids moved away.

Must be pretty boring as a kid now a days. Only have about a million things to keep your self occupied. [Big Grin]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 10:34 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love demented pranks. But this prank could have caused deaths. Stupid asshole.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 10:43 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pranksters probably didn't think about motorcycles. With a car it would have been harmless.

Doesn't make it right, assholes.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2004 12:20 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sure hope they make the little cocksucker pay for the damages on the bike.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2004 01:20 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kids brag about everything. What fun would it be if no-one knew that you did it! Someone will turn them in for the reward.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2004 02:02 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the Belt Parkway connection between Grand Central Parkway and Shore Parkway in Queen County opened in the early 1940's, the neighborhood kids and I played pranks the first and second day.

Until then we used the roadway for roller skating, but when cars began to appear, one at a time, at intervals, we would form
tug-o'-war lines on either side of the single-direction lane, pretending we had a rope. By day the motorists would go on through, but at night, by the yellow-orange light of the newly installed sodium vapor lights, they would slow down, and when they became aware of our ruse, speed up again, sometimes yelling at us to go home. Nobody was hurt, but we were young enough to feel our egos bruised being yelled at by grownups.

After two days we tired of the prank, and the traffic increased to a point where the joke became pointless.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-19-2004 05:09 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This "prankster" story pissed me off a little when I heard about it, but I am thankful the two people on the motorcycle were not killed from the incident. I'm sure they're angry about it and justifiably so. The Saran-wrap boy definitely needs a good ass kicking to gain some perspective.

Overall, this story seems mild to the other outrageously insane shit I've been reading in the news just over the last couple days.

In Milwaukee, a 14 year old boy is on life-support machines after being severely beaten by more than 10 grown men. He was having an argument with some girls at his school and one of the girls decided to get older brother and/or his friends involved. The reason the 14 year old boy is on life support: a 31 year old grown man hit him in the head with a piece of lumber. This was while the boy was trying in vain to cover protect his face and body from fists and kicking feet.

Another example of extreme cruelty: in San Antonio, a 24 year old man is being held on capital murder charges. On Saturday, he and two other accomplises invaded a home and severly beat all the occupants, including a quadriplegic. One woman was sexually assualted and barely escaped before the assailants could get her into a vehicle. Police found the quadriplegic dead. He had been beaten to death. He was found in a bed with a pillow over his bloodied face.

And right here in Lawton, a 14 year old boy is in the city jail awaiting arraignment on murder charges. For reasons unknown, he shot a 31 year old man to death right in the front yard in broad daylight. Early guesses are the kid shot the man just to find out what it was like to kill someone.

We have this kind of fetid shit happening all the time here in America, yet our leaders are more worried about sexual content on TV or things like gay marriage. Our nation's overall murder rate may be down, but it only seems the cruelty level in the crimes that do happen is being amped up to new extremes. I think our culture rewards cruelty with sexual appeal and popularity. The culture promotes cruelty and violence as tools to solve problems. I think it is high time we become a lot more offended by acts of cruelty than harmless things like a pair of exposed breasts.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-19-2004 05:17 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Chris... I hope they find these "little pranksters" so it becomes public record as to who they are and were they reside.

I'm SURE some biker (or other) will rightly so be knocking on their door with a baseball bat and teach them a thing or two. [beer] [thumbsup]

(Let's get 'em outta the gene pool!)

>>> Phil

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2004 10:49 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunatly if they are minors their records are not public.

Ben Holley
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2004 11:32 PM      Profile for Ben Holley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was living in PA a friend of mine got hurt when a farmer put up nylon rope at chest level to keep snowmobilers off his land. I guess the landowner figured the kids would see it and get scared off for the fear of 'traps'(I think it was gray and a bit on the larger side)...but funny thing is my friend who was wearing a full faced helmet with goggles didnt see it and got thrown off. He was lucky the rope had some stretch to it and he didnt hit it directly head on so he didnt break his neck. I dont know if they took revenge after the accident, or if they had done anything to piss off the farmer in the 1st place.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-20-2004 04:55 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had I been the snowmobiler, I would have talked to a lawyer about the incident. Consider how home owners are often sued and found liable when a kid climbs their fence to sneak a swim in their pool and drowns.

The farmer may think he is in the right to do this. But with the United States having 70% of the world's attorney's, anyone pulling that stunt is risking financial ruin and possibly even jail time.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-20-2004 05:40 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Had I been the farmer, I would have shot your sorry ass and claimed a "hunting" accident. Yeah! That's the story...

>>> Phil

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-20-2004 09:36 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the old "Paper grocery bag in the middle of the road with a brick inside" trick?

I've seen that one a few times! (I wasn't the perpetrator, though. Honest.)

Another one I've seen (and not done) is tying a bunch of tin cans together with 20# fish line then stringing it across the road, radiator high.

Now, I'm not saying these kinds of pranks are OK, nor do I discount the dangers but there seems to be a certain lack of finesse in the pranks that kids perpetrate these days.

There was a certain level of creativity in the days of old that doesn't seem to exist anymore. (Like the above mentioned "Invisible rope" trick.) Yes, ANY prank has potential to cause damage or injury but there was a kind of code of ethics among pranksters that said, "No permanent damage".

I put forth the question, "Would a prank (that I am contemplaging) be funny if it happened to me?

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2004 09:50 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will preface by stating that I ride. In fact, the wife and I just returned from a little ride around town. Had it been my wife and I who 'fell victim' to this little prank...

Some kid, at some point, would get his ass kicked. And if his old man didn't like it, well, he'd carry an ass kickin' to! Putting Saran Wrap over your buddies toilet is a prank, putting it around a public street is downright stupid!

F'n kids... [Mad] [Mad]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: