Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Isabel Sanford (WEEZIE!) dies.

Author Topic: Isabel Sanford (WEEZIE!) dies.
Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2004 11:46 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really like to start these threads, but since no one has mentioned this yet, thought I would. The star of TV's "The Jeffersons" and film's "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" passed away yesterday of natural causes. She was 86:

---
Isabel Sanford of 'The Jeffersons' Dies

Tue Jul 13, 5:48 AM ET

By RYAN PEARSON, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES - Actress Isabel Sanford, best known as "Weezie," Louise Jefferson on the television sitcom "The Jeffersons," died of natural causes, her publicist said Monday. She was 86.

Sanford died Friday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where she had been hospitalized since July 4, said Brad Lemack. Her daughter, Pamela Ruff, was at her side, he said.

Her health had waned after undergoing preventive surgery on a neck artery 10 months ago, Lemack said. He did not give a cause of death.

Sanford co-starred with Sherman Hemsley from 1975 to 1985 on CBS' "The Jeffersons," a spin-off of the popular series "All in the Family," in which she also appeared.

In 1981, Sanford became the first black woman to receive an Emmy for Best Actress in a Comedy Series for her work on "The Jeffersons."

"Isabel was our queen and that's what we called her on the show," said Marla Gibbs, who played the Jeffersons' maid Florence Johnston.

Gibbs said that even before the hit sitcom, Sanford's comedic talents were evident during acting auditions.

"Isabel would come in and just light up the room and start telling stories and having everybody in stitches," Gibbs said.

Sanford, a native New Yorker, was joined by "Jeffersons" creator Norman Lear and others in January when she received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

"Here with stars in my eyes — something that I dreamed about when I was 9 years old," she said at the time. "There are others that deserve it, but let everybody get their own."

Lear, who produced and created "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons," said Monday that "we have lost one of the most naturally funny performers and great human beings."

Sanford enjoyed getting fan mail from people who saw "The Jeffersons" for the first time in reruns, Lemack said.

"She was just amazed and so pleased that the show had that kind of lasting power and entertainment because she loved to make people laugh," he said.

Sanford made her feature film debut in the 1967 classic, "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner."

Recently, Sanford lent her voice to "The Simpsons" and appeared in commercial campaigns for Denny's restaurants and retailer Old Navy.

Besides her daughter, Sanford is survived by two sons, seven grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 12:16 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess nobody cares. [Frown]

=TMP=

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-18-2004 12:48 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say that but what shall we say? She did a good job and now she is gone. I had no idea she was that old, a good 21 years older than her Jeffersons co-star, Sherman Hemsley. He was 37 when the show first went on the air; she was 58.

I guess you could say she is now movin' on up to a de-luxe apartment in the sky.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-18-2004 12:25 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, that's bad! [Embarrassed] [Wink]

I didn't realize she was that old, either. She was blessed.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 12:32 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HAH! Steve, that's awesome. And to think I totally missed that one. [Wink]

=TMP=

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 02:30 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn you Steve, I entered this thread just to put that movin on up comment. You beat me to it. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: